PDA

View Full Version : Recipes: Soups

Amaranth
12-31-10, 6:00pm
Warming winter soups and refreshing summer soups

Ahh The Simple Name
10-12-13, 4:27pm
Here's are some great warming winter soups recipes:

http://www.ahhthesimplelife.com/cabbage-potato-carrot-soup/ Cabbage-Potato-Carrot Soup

http://www.ahhthesimplelife.com/c-is-for-carrots-and-cauliflower/ Curried Carrot and Cauliflower Soup

http://www.ahhthesimplelife.com/chillaxin-chili-maple-cornbread-2/ Chillaxin Chili with Maple Cornbread

Tussiemussies
10-12-13, 7:17pm
"The American Wholefoods Cookbook" by The Goldbecks, has many wonderful vegetarian soup recipes. The only thing is that in some of the recipes the say you can use water instead of broth. I always use broth and think it is much better that way.

JaneV2.0
10-12-13, 9:20pm
I like Mulligatawny, chicken gumbo, and turkey vegetable, but I have no recipes. And all-meat chili.

Gardenarian
10-13-13, 1:25pm
Our favorite winter soup:

2 T. coconut oil
2 T. curry powder
1 tsp. whole mustard seeds
1 onion, chopped
2 cups water
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 large sweet potato, cubed
2 large carrots, sliced
2 cups green beans, sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1 can (or about 2 cups) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

Heat oil in a large pot. Add curry powder and mustard seeds. When seeds pop, and the onion and saute. Add coconut milk and water, then bring to a boil. Simmer until thickened. Add all your veg and beans. Simmer 30 minutes. Salt to taste. Garnish with cilantro if desired.

You can play with this recipe a lot - I sometimes add tofu for protein, vary the vegetables. Don't add brassicas - they spoil the flavor.

puglogic
10-13-13, 10:55pm
Warming winter soups and refreshing summer soups

One of my new favorite easy, filling, scrumptious, warming winter soups:

http://thegreenhedonist.com/2013/09/food-stamp-challenge-one-of-the-best-soups-ever-or-making-up-with-lentils/

Tussiemussies
10-14-13, 12:51am

http://thegreenhedonist.com/2013/09/food-stamp-challenge-one-of-the-best-soups-ever-or-making-up-with-lentils/

Just bookmarked this. It sounds fantastic and my DH loves olives. Thanks for posting!
Chris

ApatheticNoMore
10-14-13, 5:10am
Here's a lentil soup I make, there's lots of good recipes for lentil soup out there though so it's nothing particularly unique, the spicing is good though:

(this is a recipe for a few days of soup for one - I halved the original recipe to get this)
1/2 large onion chopped
1/2 carrot chopped
OPTIONAL 1/4th to 1/3rd a pound ground beef or lamb
1 Tb olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
3/4 cup lentils (all brown or mixed brown and red)
1 quart water
1/2 small dried red chili (optional)
juice of 1/4th lemon (or more if you prefer)
salt and pepper to taste

saute onion carrot and ground beef/lamb if using in olive oil until onions are soft and meat brown. Add everything else except the lemon juice and cook until done (about 1/2 hour but may take and can go for more). Add lemon juice after it's finished. Optional: add greens like chard to soup.

Tussiemussies
10-14-13, 5:41am
Here's a lentil soup I make, there's lots of good recipes for lentil soup out there though so it's nothing particularly unique, the spicing is good though:

(this is a recipe for a few days of soup for one - I halved the original recipe to get this)
1/2 large onion chopped
1/2 carrot chopped
OPTIONAL 1/4th to 1/3rd a pound ground beef or lamb
1 Tb olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
3/4 cup lentils (all brown or mixed brown and red)
1 quart water
1/2 small dried red chili (optional)
juice of 1/4th lemon (or more if you prefer)
salt and pepper to taste

saute onion carrot and ground beef/lamb if using in olive oil until onions are soft and meat brown. Add everything else except the lemon juice and cook until done (about 1/2 hour but may take and can go for more). Add lemon juice after it's finished. Optional: add greens like chard to soup.

Sounds great...will try this one soon too. Thanks for posting!

bthatch
10-17-13, 1:02pm
I 'help' my wife make Rachael Ray's pumpkin soup for Thanksgiving every year. It's so delicious! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/pumpkin-soup-with-chili-cran-apple-relish-recipe/index.html

Anyone have a recipe they love for making french onion soup?! I'd like to try to make that with her.

Azure
10-17-13, 6:06pm

That sounds yummy

Tradd
10-17-13, 6:22pm
Last year I took a recipe from AllRecipes.com and altered it so much the result was a totally different soup.

First of all, it's cheap for about $3, without the wine (all ingredients from Aldi, except for olive oil which I already had) for the pot of it. I make it in a 3 qt saucepan. I get 3-4 meals out of one pot.

You need:
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, sliced
Garlic, as much as you want, crushed cloves or diced
6 oz can tomato paste
14 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
olive oil
salt (optional) and pepper to taste
2+ cups water
1/2 cup red wine (optional)

Pour a nice splash of oil into pot. Saute onions and garlic until soft and smell yummy.

Add mushrooms to pot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more oil as this should not be dry.

When mushrooms are done, add tomato paste, undrained diced tomatoes, 2 cups water (maybe more if it's too thick). If you use a half cup of red wine, decrease water by a half cup. Add salt and pepper to taste (I use fresh ground black pepper and no salt) Cook another 10-15 minutes.

Optional: you can add a handful of orzo. If so, make sure to cook for 15 minutes after adding everything so orzo is tender.

Pic from batch I made yesterday.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3F_sxAA_D-g/UmAw8858QtI/AAAAAAAAGlQ/_s0J9Yaa3i4/s400/20131017_120057.jpg

Azure
10-17-13, 6:26pm
I think I am going to try this one next week:

Korean Chicken Soup

8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 TBSP finely chopped garlic
3 TBSP finely grated fresh ginger
1/2 C uncooked white rice
1 TBSP reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil - mmmmmm
1 tsp (or up to 2 tsp) hot chili paste or sauce
1 C shredded cooked chicken
2 scallions (finely chopped)
1 TBSP toasted sesame seeds

Combine broth, garlic and ginger in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil over high heat. Add rice, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until rice is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in soy sauce and sesame oil; add chilid paste to taste. Add chicken and heath through. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.

Sounds easy & delicious.

Azure
10-17-13, 6:27pm
Last year I took a recipe from AllRecipes.com and altered it so much the result was a totally different soup.

First of all, it's cheap for about $3, without the wine (all ingredients from Aldi, except for olive oil which I already had) for the pot of it. I make it in a 3 qt saucepan. I get 3-4 meals out of one pot.

You need:
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, sliced
Garlic, as much as you want, crushed cloves or diced
6 oz can tomato paste
14 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
olive oil
salt (optional) and pepper to taste
2+ cups water
1/2 cup red wine (optional)

Pour a nice splash of oil into pot. Saute onions and garlic until soft and smell yummy.

Add mushrooms to pot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more oil as this should not be dry.

When mushrooms are done, add tomato paste, undrained diced tomatoes, 2 cups water (maybe more if it's too thick). If you use a half cup of red wine, decrease water by a half cup. Add salt and pepper to taste (I use fresh ground black pepper and no salt) Cook another 10-15 minutes.

Optional: you can add a handful of orzo. If so, make sure to cook for 15 minutes after adding everything so orzo is tender.

Pic from batch I made yesterday.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3F_sxAA_D-g/UmAw8858QtI/AAAAAAAAGlQ/_s0J9Yaa3i4/s400/20131017_120057.jpg

That does look delish!

Blackdog Lin
10-17-13, 8:37pm
(1) Cheddar chowder, with or without ham. Oh so warm and filling.
(2) Italian bean soup, which really I'm gonna start calling Minestrone, 'cause the way I make it, it is.
(3) Hamburger stew, made with pre-fab ingredients, but fairly healthy ones. Quick and easy.
(4) Tortilla soup, sinfully delicious and unhealthy, made with totally unhealthy pre-fab ingredients. Quick and easy and only for occasional use.
(5) Beef-n-barley stew, our old standby.

Tiam
10-17-13, 11:18pm
(1) Cheddar chowder, with or without ham. Oh so warm and filling.
(2) Italian bean soup, which really I'm gonna start calling Minestrone, 'cause the way I make it, it is.
(3) Hamburger stew, made with pre-fab ingredients, but fairly healthy ones. Quick and easy.
(4) Tortilla soup, sinfully delicious and unhealthy, made with totally unhealthy pre-fab ingredients. Quick and easy and only for occasional use.
(5) Beef-n-barley stew, our old standby.

It must be the prefab ingredients. When I make tortilla soup it's homemade chicken broth and chicken and fresh chiles and veggies and then some home fried tortillas. YUM

Yarrow
10-18-13, 2:57am
Just made this yesterday - one of my favorite all time cold weather comfort soups.

Egg Drop Soup

4 cups of chicken stock
6 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 inch knob of fresh ginger (finely sliced)
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons of cold water
3 eggs

Bring chicken stock, garlic, and ginger to a simmer. Add soy sauce, and then the cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken soup. Cook until desired consistency is reached. Then add 3 eggs that have been beaten, after swirling the soup around in a circle slowly spoon the beaten eggs in, then let set for 60 seconds. Then take a fork and slice through the swirls of cooked egg. It is now ready to eat. You may wish to garnish with cilantro or parsley, or not. I don't usually add anything else to it, although some like to add peas along with other minced veggies such as carrots and celery.

I love this soup especially when I am sick with a cold or sore throat. It always makes me feel better and tastes wonderful!

steve s
10-18-13, 11:49am
My top three soup recipes

Easy split-pea-barley-lentil soup (http://connect.everythingzoomer.com/profiles/blogs/soup-to-drive-the-cold-winter-away), with links two my two other favorites, Zingerman's barley soup and my own borsht.

http://open.salon.com/files/img_0695_11332876135.jpg

pinkytoe
10-18-13, 4:22pm
Little cold front coming into night so I am making one of our favorites, Tom Kha. We tweak the recipe every time we make it. Broth, coconut milk, onions, garlic, ginger, sliced mushrooms, fish sauce, thai curry paste, date palm sugar, lime juice, cilantro at the end. I will use shrimp in tonight's edition.

thinkgreen
10-18-13, 10:33pm
Steve, I tried to see your soup recipes but can't get the link to work. I don't know why. The soup looks so delicious.

Amaranth
10-20-13, 10:36am
Yum, these look amazing. And I think I'll try the pumpkin soup one with some homegrown butternut squash.

Recently I've been experimenting with different flavorings for lentil soup. The basic recipe uses lentils, onions, and carrots. Recent variations have been:
+ sweet peppers from the garden
+ sautéed minced eggplant from the garden
+ a few minced olives and minus the usual minimal salt

What other variations do you like?

Tussiemussies
10-20-13, 8:35pm
Yum, these look amazing. And I think I'll try the pumpkin soup one with some homegrown butternut squash.

Recently I've been experimenting with different flavorings for lentil soup. The basic recipe uses lentils, onions, and carrots. Recent variations have been:
+ sweet peppers from the garden
+ sautéed minced eggplant from the garden
+ a few minced olives and minus the usual minimal salt

What other variations do you like?

A Greek variation from the book I mentioned where you finely cut spinach and add and then you add some vinegar, I use white wine vinegar. I will get the amounts and add them to the thread...chris

Tiam
10-20-13, 10:19pm
My Go To soup is a "minestrone". I've read recipes for Tuscan Bean Soup and they look identical. I'd say it's a meat broth + tomato based vegetable soup with cabbage, veggies and beans. Just to avoid controversy. Chicken soup of any ilk is easy to produce, as is any kind of potato or chowder style soup. All easy and delicious from scratch.

Azure
10-22-13, 6:07pm
Well, I made the Korean chicken soup. It tasted "Korean" to me. DH loves it. I have come to the conclusion that no matter how you dress it up - I don't like chicken soup. At all.

MaryHu
10-24-13, 10:52am
Hey Gardenarian,

Your recipe sounds great but in the directions you say to "add the coconut milk". But there is no coconut milk listed in the ingredients. Is it 1/2 cup, 1 cup, the whole 14 oz can? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks for posting it. I look forward to trying it.

happystuff
10-30-13, 4:38pm
Just found this thread and copied several of the recipes... thanks everyone! Cold weather is on it's way and I'm definitely in the mood for soup!

rodeosweetheart
11-1-13, 7:21am
Just found this thread and copied several of the recipes... thanks everyone! Cold weather is on it's way and I'm definitely in the mood for soup!

I just made a Sweet Dumpling squash soup this week that turned out really well--

1. cut squash open, save seeds (worth price of squash alone x 4)
2. baked squash in pan in oven with a little water, about an hour
3. sauteed a medium onion in butter
4. combined squash and pan of sauteed onion in crock pot
5. added ginger water from ginger tea DH just made--he just finely slices ginger and boils in water and makes tea that way--maybe half cup?
6. added 2 slivers of the ginger from the tea
7. Himalayan pink salt (avaible all over now, and it's great) and pepper
8. added milk til a good soup consistency
8. cooked on low for several hours
9. whisked it-- would have used my mixer but have not unpacked it yet

It was awesome--we ate it for dinner, for lunch, and last night again. I think the secret was the squash--it was way sweeter than the butternut I usually use, and a nice small size for 2 people

MaryHu
11-1-13, 11:46am
As a bonus sweet dumpling squash is very easy to grow even in my cold climate. You might also like delicata squash, it is equally sweet and also easy to grow.

rodeosweetheart
11-1-13, 2:23pm
As a bonus sweet dumpling squash is very easy to grow even in my cold climate. You might also like delicata squash, it is equally sweet and also easy to grow.

Thanks, Mary, I will try that!

Azure
11-2-13, 5:03pm
Tried a new soup this last week. Very tasty!

Ham and Potato Soup

3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
3 1/4 cups water
2 TBSP chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp ground white or black pepper, to taste

Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, hand and water in a stockpot.

Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender.
Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

Next time this is where I will end the recipe. Maybe mash up some of the potatoes to make it creamier, if necessary. I found as the potatoes cooked they released enough starch to start making the soup look creamier. But the recipe calls for about 2 cups of milk made into a roux. It was good and tasted like scalloped potatoes but I think I'll like it better without the roux.

I did not use bouillon, I instead just cooked the potatoes in homemade chicken stock. I didn't have celery but added chopped carrots. I also used extra ham since I was using up leftovers & I think more potatoes. Soo delish!

razz
11-2-13, 9:29pm
I love, love soups so these are great.
I made a type of hamburger soup with lots of diced onions, carrots and celery mixed with 3/4 C cooked ground beef, some packets of beef bouillon, 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, equal amount of water, some thyme, a bay leaf, a large handful of barley and let simmer for an hour. I just added about 2 C of kidney beans. It is so tasty and will be great with a salad plus some to freeze for another week.

Stella
11-3-13, 12:15pm
I am loving this thread! I am really in the mood for soup lately. We are finishing up a batch of butternut squash soup today and I am going to make some potato leek soup for lunch for tomorrow and cream of broccoli with cheese for later in the week.

Rogar
11-5-13, 1:21pm
I just recently discover cioppino, which is basically a fish and tomato soup with some Italian herbs. I've had it with just some basic inexpensive white fish and also made fancy with some shellfish. I think it is a traditional "catch of the day" type dish so there are many variations. My most basic is canned diced tomato, diced white fish, celery, herbs, and onion. It gets better when you can add a few different things for complexity. It's really easy to fix and pretty healthy. I have not tried freezing it yet, it goes fast. I am a fan of using something like the Monterrey Bay Aquarium lists for sustainable fisheries when shopping for my fish. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_recommendations.aspx

Merski
11-10-13, 5:09pm
Puglogic, I made this lentil soup recipe you mentioned earlier on this thread featuring fire roasted tomatoes, kalmata olives and greens and it was just fabulous! Will make again! DH basically hates lentils but loved this soup. Even with the extravagance of the olives and fire roasted tomatoes, I think it made enough for 6-8 servings and we had it with fresh home made bread. A feast fit for a king!!

http://thegreenhedonist.com/2013/09/food-stamp-challenge-one-of-the-best-soups-ever-or-making-up-with-lentils/ Used the post punk kitchen recipe.

Tiam
11-12-13, 12:13am
Ive got everything in the crockpot for tomorrow to cook a white bean stew.

I have a question about crockpots and pasta. Most recipes call for cooked pasta in crockpots. Is it possible to put the pasta in uncooked and cook it to done-ness?

Tussiemussies
11-12-13, 12:22am
Ive got everything in the crockpot for tomorrow to cook a white bean stew.

I have a question about crockpots and pasta. Most recipes call for cooked pasta in crockpots. Is it possible to put the pasta in uncooked and cook it to done-ness?

I always cook my pasta separately and add in when serving the soup. For me, otherwise it gets too,too over-cooked and is a gooey component....

Tiam
11-13-13, 12:30am
I also followed a recipe for white bean soup that contained crushed tomatoes and veggies. I soaked the beans overnight and then added them with sufficient water and cooked them all day. They are almost done but not as tender as I thought they'd be. (they are freshly bought) I know some additions can affect how well beans cook. Not sure with this one.

MaryHu
11-14-13, 10:57am
Probably the acid in the tomatoes that kept the beans tough. This is another thing, like salt, that you're not supposed to add until the beans are done. Of course if you used canned tomatoes it's possible they had salt added and that doesn't help either.

catherine
11-14-13, 11:06am
Puglogic, I made this lentil soup recipe you mentioned earlier on this thread featuring fire roasted tomatoes, kalmata olives and greens and it was just fabulous! Will make again! DH basically hates lentils but loved this soup. Even with the extravagance of the olives and fire roasted tomatoes, I think it made enough for 6-8 servings and we had it with fresh home made bread. A feast fit for a king!!

http://thegreenhedonist.com/2013/09/food-stamp-challenge-one-of-the-best-soups-ever-or-making-up-with-lentils/ Used the post punk kitchen recipe.

I am definitely trying puglogic's recipe!!! I LOVE lentils, olives and red roasted peppers, so this is a shoe-in.

Last night I made a butternut squash soup:

I used two medium sized squashes, cut into 1 in. cubes and then:

--Sauteed one medium onion and two garlic cloves in a large pot until they were translucent
--Added the squash and 6 cups of chicken stock
--Added a tablespoon or so of curry
--Added salt/pepper
--Cooked until squash was tender, about 15 minutes
--Took off the heat
--Added two tablespoons of honey and a little parsley
--And used an immersion blender to puree everything.
--Added a dollop of sour cream on top for garnish (I usually use plain yogurt but didn't have any).

Easy! The hardest part was peeling and cubing those darn squash. Alternatively you could just cut in half lengthwise and roast in the oven and then scoop them out and proceed with the liquid and other ingredients.

Tiam
11-15-13, 1:49am
Probably the acid in the tomatoes that kept the beans tough. This is another thing, like salt, that you're not supposed to add until the beans are done. Of course if you used canned tomatoes it's possible they had salt added and that doesn't help either.

And yet, it doesn't seem to work does it, for a crockpot recipe if you are not there to add salt and tomatoes at a good time because you are at work.

dado potato
11-20-13, 10:50pm
Split Pea.

Pumpkin.

(When the first snow is on the ground, and you come home to soups like these, you know that All Will Be Well.)

profnot
1-16-14, 10:25am
V-8 juice with a splash of Worcestershire sauce makes a terrific tomato soup! Easy to take to work if a microwave is available.

Put 1/4c raw unsalted cashews in a (small) food processor and whir until smooth. Add 1c chicken broth and whir again. Put in mug or bowl and heat in microwave. Yum!

Cook a bit of diced proscuitoo in a pan until a bit crisp. Add it to butternut squash soup with a dash of ground nutmeg.