PDA

View Full Version : Tiam: Italian Bean Soup (and a couple other bean recipes)

Blackdog Lin
1-2-12, 8:09am
We think this soup is killer, and very healthy too. It's one of the few ways I can get fresh spinach into DH's diet.

Italian Bean Soup

2 cans (14.5-16 oz. ea.) cannellini, or any white beans, rinsed and drained (I frequently use 3 c. home-cooked dried white beans)
1 tbs. olive oil
1/2 c. diced cooked ham
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, sliced
3/4 c. diced onion (1 small/medium onion)
1 c. shredded cabbage
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. fresh-cracked black pepper
1 can (14.5-16 oz.) stewed tomatoes
1 can (14.5-16 oz.) chicken broth (or 1 1/2 c. homemade stock)
1 c. water
2 c. fresh spinach, cleaned and chopped
1 medium zucchini, sliced into half-rounds
3-4 chicken boullion cubes (optional, but we think it makes it much more flavorful)

Pour one can of the beans (or 1/2 of home-cooked) onto a plate and mash with a fork or potato masher to a paste. Set aside. In soup-pot heat oil and saute ham, celery, carrots, onion, cabbage, basil and pepper, stirring frequently, till mostly tender, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, chicken broth or stock, water, spinach, zucchini, boullion cubes if using, and the reserved mashed bean paste. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add remaining beans and heat to hot. Adjust seasonings - may want salt, or more pepper or basil.

Lee's Bean Soup: I never see anything like this online. It's really really good, kinda different, very easy, and great for people who like a "hot-n-spicy" soup. We got it from my stepmother 25 years ago.

Lee's Bean Soup

5-6 slices bacon, cut up
1 c. diced onion (1 medium onion)
2 cans (14.5-16 oz. ea.) chicken broth
2 cans (14.5-16 oz. ea.) pinto beans (I frequently substitute 3-4 c. home-cooked dried pinto beans)
1 tbs. sugar
chopped jalapenos, to taste (I start with 1 fresh jalapeno, or 1 tbs. home-canned pickled jalapenos, and add more later if it needs more "heat")
shredded or diced cooked ham or ham hock (optional - we seldom add it)
salt and pepper to taste

In soup-pot saute bacon and onion till bacon is rendered, but not crisp, stirring frequently. Drain grease. Add rest of ingredients. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to lowest, cover, and simmer at least 2 hours. This soup just gets better the longer it cooks; don't be afraid to leave it on the stove simmering all day. Taste at 2-3 hours to see if you'd like more jalapenos or salt and pepper.

And a little bean salad we like in the winter, when fresh tomatoes are inedible. It's not gourmet, but it's easy and different and good.

Winter Bean Salad

1 can (14.5-16 oz.) any white beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5-16 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
1/3 c. or so diced onion
1/2 of a cucumber, peeled and diced (optional but adds a nice "crunch")
1/3 c. or so favorite Italian salad dressing

Mix all ingredients in covered container and chill at least 1 hour.

Mrs-M
1-2-12, 10:25am
Blackdog Lin. The recipes look delicious! Can't wait to give the bean soup a try. A delightful twist would be to make it using a tomato-based stock.