PDA

View Full Version : good bread knife?

babr
1-18-11, 2:16pm
I make great artisan bread that comes out really crusty thanks to someone here; but we have an old knife and it triggers my husbands tendons to cut it; what do you use?

Crystal
1-18-11, 2:21pm
I have a very thin serrated knife that I got from the dollar store. It does a good job.

IshbelRobertson
1-18-11, 5:29pm
More years ago than I care remember (a wedding present) I received a Sabatier bread knife as part of a set of kitchen knives. All these years later, it's still doing a grand job!

Rosemary
1-18-11, 5:49pm
I really like Rada knives. They hold a sharp blade for a long time. They are inexpensive and made in the U.S. Some sellers have them available through Amazon; I bought mine at a small shop that carried them. I use the bagel knife as a bread knife, and its aggressive serration can cut very thin slices from my dense German-style whole grain breads.

Gina
1-18-11, 6:10pm
I also use a very thin, long, serrated knife (from a yard sale). Cuts like a charm.

lhamo
1-18-11, 6:48pm
I got our bread knife at Ikea. I love it. I can't remember at the moment which model it was. I think the Gynnsam model, seen here:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30134951

lhamo

babr
1-19-11, 8:11am
thanks i will explore your suggestions
Kris

Mrs-M
1-19-11, 8:11am
Look for something thin in design with a long blade and serrated. I love a traditional wood-handled bread knife and Wüsthof manufactures one of the finest knives out there.