PDA

View Full Version : Tinker Tailor...

puglogic
1-9-12, 12:25am
Has anyone seen this screen version yet? I loved the book and the original series, but would like the opinion of someone who's seen it -- worth the matinee price? Or wait 'til it comes to the library? :)

Kestrel
1-9-12, 9:22am
We just watched it .. and it was great! Confusing to us at first because it was hard to know who was who, when was when, what was what. Then it started making sense! Well, I'd read the book before, many years ago, but hadn't seen the original series. Keith Olberman was raving about it on his show. Love Gary Oldman, so was good to see him.

IshbelRobertson
1-9-12, 9:40am
No, I haven't seen the new version, but the book and the TV series are still deeply imprinted on my memory, so I'll probably give this one a miss.

mtnlaurel
1-9-12, 1:29pm
Here's what one of my DH's facebook friends just posted about it.....

"Go see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200."

Weston
1-9-12, 1:56pm
Can't wait to see it. Tinker, Tailor and Smiley's People are both on my top 25 list of favorite books. IMHO LeCarre at his peak was head and shoulders above all other spy fiction authors. I loved the original film with Alec Guiness. Looking forward to this one as well.

puglogic
1-9-12, 2:15pm
Sold. Thanks.

I've also ordered the old series from the library - I loved the inscrutable Alec Guinness as Smiley. There's a long wait now, of course, but it'll be worth it.

CathyA
4-14-12, 11:04pm
I just watched it. I must be really slow, because I was soooooo confused through the whole thing. Maybe watching it again will help.
We had trouble understanding some of the language, so we had on the subtitles, which helped. But it was so confusing to me. I liked the cinematography.
But the music at the very end seemed so out of place. Maybe if I had understood the movie, that music would have made more sense.

puglogic
4-14-12, 11:52pm
I think I would've been confused too, if I hadn't read the books and seen the series before. So I guess it wasn't a very good adaptation, if one has to have "background" in order to get it! :( But I still enjoyed it....have always enjoyed Gary Oldman since Sid & Nancy.

CathyA
4-22-12, 9:17am
SPOILER ALERT..............SPOILER ALERT..............SPOILER ALERT

Don't read any further if you haven't seen it.............

DH and I watched it for a second time last night. We had to stop it dozens of times and discuss it. It was sooooooo confusing. Going back and forth in time added to the confusion.
Before we watched it the second time, we started to agree that Oldman was actually the mole. At the end, he just seemed to act as though he had pulled something off and got away with it.
After the second time, I started having doubts, since I had forgotten how the other person was I.D.'d as the mole. But DH still thinks it was Oldman. What did you think??
I've read reviews of it and it seems nobody else thought this.

Float On
4-22-12, 4:35pm
My boys were watching this the other night....I couldn't stay awake and kept napping. I'll have to wait until I have a lot of pent up energy to really concentrate on it. Gary Oldman is a favorite around here too.