PDA

View Full Version : What does prayer look like for you?

fidgiegirl
1-9-12, 11:12pm
The recent posts about Catholic prayer rituals kind of have me thinking - what are the different ways that you pray, if at all? I mean, what does it look/sound/feel like, in detail? Do you address God directly in your head, with words? Do you picture images? Do you speak aloud? Do you kneel down and bow your head? Sit in a comfy chair? Do you just think positive things for people and call that prayer? Do you use a formal prayer ritual? Where do you pray? Do you write it down? In your religion, is there a right and wrong way to pray? Do you mark the start and end of your prayer?

Wildflower
1-10-12, 4:00am
I talk to God silently in my head. And my Mother too. She died in 2006, but she is always in my head.... I have mental conversations with both in my quiet time. It is always very calming for me.

goldensmom
1-10-12, 7:11am
I use the Bible as an example so I a pray formal prayer, individual prayer, corporate prayer, verbal prayer, silent prayer but I follow Paul’s exhortation to the Thessalonians to ‘pray without ceasing’ (I Thess. 5:17) which means I pray in any position during any task; eyes closed or eyes opened (especially when driving); it is customary to pray before a meal but sometimes I pray after a meal. I like to pray formal, written prayers or scripture such as a Psalm because my mind does not tend to wander when focusing on a written word but I find that over the years I have to come to pray pretty much all of the time.

Rosemary
1-10-12, 7:38am
Informal. Quiet contemplation. Meditation of various types, including loving kindness meditations. Thankfulness.
Usually sitting (anywhere) or lying down (at night). But could be standing in line somewhere or walking.
There is no right or wrong, no obvious beginning or end.