PDA

View Full Version : fidgie--you new house!

iris lily
1-10-12, 10:43am
This morning I took some time to look at the Before photos of you house. I love it! I love it so much, I am SERIOUS, it is a handsome house. OMG I love old houses and Tudor style houses. Your kitchen has tons of cabinets. It's like the kitchen in my Old Kitchens thread although it's a late model Old Kitchen.

I love the windows, the floors. Where did you get flooring for your kitchen? It looks old. Did you salvage it from some place? Radiator heat is very efficient. There are few boiler systems left around here in my neighborhood, but I'll bet there is a lot of 'em in the Twin Cities, heat is important to ya'll. ha ha. My friends, professional architects, put in a new radiator heat system in their huge 5,000 square ft house due to its efficiency.

Float On
1-10-12, 10:47am
She does have a great house! Nothing around here has that kind of character. fidgie better repost her link to her blog in this thread since we're mentioning it (hint, hint).

daisy
1-10-12, 12:56pm
I just saw the link to the blog the other day ended up reading the whole thing. What a beautiful home! You guys are doing a great job on it, fidgiegirl!

fidgiegirl
1-10-12, 5:29pm
Oh you guys, what a cool thread!! Thank you for the compliments! We are nearing the end of this phase of our remodeling projects; almost the whole house is repainted, and insulation will be blown in Thursday. Floors refinished next week. Appliances delivered after that. Then we can move in :)

The wood is salvaged, we got it from this wild place that has four warehouse floors FULL of salvaged items, from commercial electric boxes to antique built-ins to rooftop A/C units and huge glass pyramids. It's AMAZING. I am a little worried that the floor won't sand down flat because it was out of several different homes. But we shall see! DH and I installed it ourselves. We were pretty proud of that.

Oh, wait, I forgot to mention we still have to tile the bathroom floor and tub surround . . . eeeek!! nervous!!!

DH has been doing most of the blogging. Love it!

Ironically, there is a girl on my FB who is doing things like RIPPING OUT the crown molding in her kitchen and TEARING UP the original wood floors. Aaaaah! To each their own, but dang. They better not touch their cupboards, though. They look original. Ours are 60s cabinets, but they are respectable, and there sure are a lot. So looking forward to that. No more cookware in the basement! :)

ETA: Oh yeah, blog link in the signature . . .

EarthSky
1-10-12, 10:29pm
Beautiful home, Kelli! and love the blog!

RosieTR
1-10-12, 11:55pm
Good luck on all the rest, so far it looks great! I love "Paintstravaganza"! I might steal it too, for my FB update when I start painting Sat....

redfox
1-11-12, 12:44am
Tiling is fun. Seriously. Design work, no brute strength required, but brain power and measure, measure, measure!

lhamo
1-11-12, 6:16am
OMG -- talk about sweat equity! You guys are ROCKIN' this remodel! And what a great house. Good bones, that's for sure. Love that wood floor and can't wait to see it refinished. And the little curve at the end of the stairs. And those stairs to the front door and that maple tree! And those windows. And that backyard/deck area. And on and on and on. I'm so jealous. Maybe I do need to think seriously about moving to the twin cities...

Oh yeah, and if you guys could do the measurements to get that flooring right, tiling is going to be a breeze. It's pretty fun, too -- one of my DH's favorite remodel tasks.

lhamo

Rosemary
1-11-12, 8:05am
I agree! You are really restoring this house to its full glory.

fidgiegirl
1-11-12, 8:49am
Thank you on the tiling positivity. I am really quite nervous for two reasons: Not sure how to seal up the tub surround (we need to take at trip to The Tile Shop for some questions) and that the self-leveling floor didn't come out level. So there are ridges. My parents say to just even it up with the thinset, but until it's done and fine, I think I will still be nervous. :)

I might get to spray paint the hinges after all in the kitchen!! They are a weird copper/brushed with black. I want black or oil rubbed bronze. The shape is nice, but DH has been adamant that we not paint them - that they'll gum up. But I read online about lots of people doing it and how. So he has conceded that since the doors are coming down for my inlaws to do something to them with stain (it's gonna look good) I might get to do the hinges after all. yippeee!!!