PDA

View Full Version : Attic Ventilation

CathyA
1-10-12, 1:30pm
We have a 1 story house. Before we had a new roof put on (in l996) we had one of those long aluminum ridge vents. When they put on the new roof, they used a shingle-covered foam thing. Our attic gets at least 120F in the summers. I have a thermometer right above the attic pull-down steps and I'm sure the temp would be higher, if the thermometer went higher.

We also have big problems with our TV reception in the summers. If I turn a certain breaker off, the interference goes away and we can watch TV. I was thinking it was a short somewhere in one of the wires in the attic. But now I'm thinking that our attic just gets way too hot, even for intact wires.

DH suggested having a big fan installed in the roof, but I'd like something that isn't dependent on electricity. I chose to have the ridge vent, rather than those individual square vents you see on roofs, because I thought it would ventilate better. But that foam is no-doubt all clogged up and not venting anything.
I also realize that we should have all our soffit vents checked to be sure they are patent.

I was thinking about having an open ridge vent put back in. (I hope birds and mice don't get it there).

Any input on what choice might be better to make? Anything must be better than what we have now. People can't even work up there in the summer. They would die.
Thanks.