PDA

View Full Version : Ever donated to a National Presidential Candidate?

Greg44
1-10-12, 5:19pm
Have you ever donated to a Presidential Candidate? Donated your time on the phone banks? OR ?

I would not donate to a candidate's phone call, but would do so on their website. I am seriously thinking of it this year. Many people donating small amounts does make a difference.

I don't mind being on an email mailing list - but NOT on their junk mail list. My only fear is being bombarded with more requests for donations. >:(

Float On
1-10-12, 5:23pm
I think the bombarding would happen for sure.

Gregg
1-10-12, 6:28pm
I have donated at the local and state levels, but not to individual campaigns at the national level. I haven't noticed being particularly deluged with mail and no more calls than usual because of those donations, but none were in response to a phone call.

ETA: We are on the "Do Not Call" list for whatever that is worth and I do not give out our phone number with this type of donation.

Rosemary
1-10-12, 9:27pm
I donated time during the last election, making phone calls for a candidate - calls weren't asking for money, just asking people to go vote.

I never donate money over the phone or to anyone who comes to my door.

Lainey
1-10-12, 9:57pm
I check off the box on my income tax that says Yes, I want $3 to go to the Presidential Election Campaign Fund. Doesn't reduce my taxes, and it's my tiny contribution to the campaigners not having to beg for that $3 from Wall Street, the oil industry, etc.

Otherwise, I have given a small amount of money to a few local candidates. I will not volunteer at political phone banks because I do not like to be called at home myself. However, I will write letters to the editor, and many of them get published so that's my way of helping the cause.

iris lily
1-10-12, 11:54pm
Sure, I donate to Presidential campaigns. This year I've already sent Mitt and McCain money.

redfox
1-11-12, 12:47am
I have a specific email address for this purpose. Yes, I donate to Obama monthly, and did the first time around as well. I get a fair number of appeals, but because they go into the gmail address designated for such things, I never have to read them. I phone bank only for local initiatives like levies I think are worthwhile.

In fact, I have at least a half dozen gmail addresses... all acquired before you could set up folders in gmail to route specific emails. I have a friend whose address is junkemail@which ever service she uses. Cute.

ApatheticNoMore
1-11-12, 1:19am
I check off the box on my income tax that says Yes, I want $3 to go to the Presidential Election Campaign Fund. Doesn't reduce my taxes, and it's my tiny contribution to the campaigners not having to beg for that $3 from Wall Street, the oil industry, etc.

Yes I do that because yes it doesn't increase your taxes AT ALL. Seriously why wouldn't you do it? It is probably a much better use of my money than many other things it would be spent on by the government (that's $3 less for making wars - ok no great sum but :)).

No I've never donated to political campaigns or worked phones. Scumbag politicians, I can't imagine wanting to give them my money for their campaigns, and how do I know they won't break any promises they make? I have donated to groups fighting for CAUSES/ISSUES I agree with. Since the politicians half the time betray half the things they run on, I think this is the real way to support causes one agrees with.