PDA

View Full Version : Considering uniforms

Stella
1-22-12, 3:58pm
The girls have requested that we get rid of most of their clothes and get them school uniforms. Initially I dismissed that, thinking that it was kind of strange for kids who are homeschooled, but having read enough here about people simplifying their wardrobes by adopting a kind of uniform, I am giving it further thought. A lot of their friends wear school uniforms and the moms seem to like it.

The girls and I looked online and found some pretty inexpensive school uniforms that don't look strange and uncomfortable. The stuff they were interested in were actually kind of cute, classic clothes. I could see why they liked them. These are some of the items they wanted.

Dress (http://www.frenchtoast.com/product/ruffled+pique+polo+dress+girls+7-14.do?sortby=ourPicks&filterby=)
Skirt (http://www.frenchtoast.com/product/front+pleated+coin+pocket+skirt+girls+7-14.do?sortby=ourPicks&filterby=)
Blouse (http://www.frenchtoast.com/product/short+sleeve+peter+pan+blouse+modified+girls+7-14.do?sortby=ourPicks&filterby=)
Vest (http://www.frenchtoast.com/product/sweater+vest+with+white+stripe+boys+8-14.do?sortby=ourPicks&filterby=)
Sweater (http://www.frenchtoast.com/product/cable+front+duster+girls+7-14.do?sortby=ourPicks&filterby=)

It would greatly simplify the laundry and clothing storage. It would also make it easy and less stressful to pick out outfits. Of course I'd make sure they had at least a pair of pants, exercise clothes and a few play clothes too. They have good quality outdoor gear as well for warmth.

I'd feel weird if I forced it on them, but as it is their request and it could really, really simplify the laundry, it does seem worth considering. I have been contemplating buying a higher capacity washer and dryer to handle our laundry. This would definitely be a cheaper solution.

Simpler at Fifty
1-22-12, 4:14pm
I think it is a great idea. You have some pretty smart kids Stella.

IshbelRobertson
1-22-12, 4:15pm
Most schools in the UK have a uniform.
I'm not sure why children who don't have to wear one would choose to do so!

kally
1-22-12, 4:19pm
I think it is a good idea. They are tidy and nice and it makes them feel like part of the larger school-going population.

kally
1-22-12, 4:21pm
http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ab-homeschool&tid=10411

here is a discussion about this very topic.

Float On
1-22-12, 4:24pm
I know when I homeschooled the boys we were much better students and teacher on the days where we dressed than the days we tried to stay in our pjs all day. If a uniform helps them 'put their mind on school' then I'm all for it.

mtnlaurel
1-22-12, 4:30pm
Although not required by his school, my son essentially wears a uniform and has since he was out of baby clothes.
Super sturdy pants - I found some great ones at a Columbia outlet, super cheap and bought 5 prs. in ea. size they had - sadly he's on the last yr of them :(
It used to be collared golf like shirts that he would wear --- I could get a million washes out of Lands End shirts - put a long sleeve shirt under them in winter
Now he wants to wear Soccer shirts all the time which I'm finding at various consignment stores/thrift stores

I get about 12 prs of same socks for each kid every 2 yrs - totally speeds up sock sort.
Brown hikers for son - doesn't show dirt
Aqua for dd --- contrasts well with her things

Daughter - not really as much a uniform as son - but all things from consignment or thrift, with a few retail pieces thrown in to round stuff out.

What a blessing that your girls are asking for this!!!!
I see uniforms at kid consignment places all the time.

I wore a uniform in school and LOVE, LOVE, LOVED it!
No worries about being judged by your clothes or having to think about what to wear every day.

crunchycon
1-22-12, 4:44pm
I remember ironing my five white short-sleeved blouses for school on Sunday night and that, along with making sure I had clean bobby socks and underwear, set me up for the week. Couldn't have been easier.

Rosemary
1-22-12, 4:44pm
Is there a solution that doesn't involve scrapping what you have and buying new, such as finding a few items that are similar in color and defining those as their uniform? And then as you replace items, you could go along with some sort of dress code, such as navy or beige skirt/pants/sweater and white shirt.

Lands End sells uniform pieces and they are often available in their Overstocks online with free shipping (email coupons - also look for the 20-30% off email coupons, which apply to Overstocks).

goldensmom
1-22-12, 4:49pm
Uniforms are a great idea, there are so many benefits as already mentioned and because you homeschool, the uniforms can be whatever you want them to be. Wise kids too.

Mrs-M
1-22-12, 5:55pm
Gee, Stella, I have such mixed feeling regarding such. On one-hand I think, "yes, it could work", while on the other-hand I think, "don't be too overly quick in adopting such a code".

I remembered this (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?2366-School-clothes-budget-question&highlight=uniforms) thread, Stella, when I seen this newly posted thread topic. Great information/great conversation related to uniforms, pros/cons, etc. Thought it would be of benefit to you to review.

I'm relieved to hear that your daughters have alternative dress, that they can rely on. But your girls are young, and who knows if after a few months they won't approach you again with a different take as to dress/wear.

AmeliaJane
1-22-12, 6:27pm
I worked with a school on a field trip once whose uniform for a public school was khakis or navy pants (or skirts for girls), shoes of some kind (not sneakers), and a polo shirt, long or short sleeved, in any color of the child's choice. (I think they could also wear a solid cardigan or crew neck sweater if another layer was needed.) The effect was neat, academic, and absolutely charming. All the children (who were all colors of the rainbow) in their polos, also all colors of the rainbow, were so beautiful to look at. If I ever had any power to choose a uniform for a group, that's what I'd pick!

Tiam
1-22-12, 6:47pm
Most schools in the UK have a uniform.
I'm not sure why children who don't have to wear one would choose to do so!

I wore uniforms growing up, in Catholic school. Public schools did not. The Catholic children were teased mercilessly.

flowerseverywhere
1-22-12, 11:20pm
I grew up with uniforms and it didn't kill me. Four kids and one small paycheck, it saved my parents a lot.

I have fond memories of children in their uniforms and wide brimmed hats in Australia where a big anti- sun exposure campaign is the norm.

I like the suggestion of getting dressed each day to go to school, but I would go slowly if it meant more cost for you. What about a smock for each child? with pencils in the pockets, easy to wash after messy stuff and you could stick to one color.

goldensmom
1-23-12, 6:35am
If your girls want it, why not try it? A perk of a homeschool uniform is that you can change or discontinue it if necessary and you don't have a school board and numerous other opinions to contend with.

mtnlaurel
1-23-12, 8:30am
Stella, I know your girls are younger and may not quite be to the full-on self-expression stage yet....

But the thing I liked about uniforms was on the weekend or after-school events I had my 'self-expression times' with clothes --- meaning to me at the time, I had more $ to spend on some nicer things rather than rotating my few cherished pieces more often. I looked at my friends that didn't have to wear uniform and think 'wow, that's a lot of pressure to come up with a cool outfit each day'
--- that was from my tween/teen years.

For uniform self-expression -- it was always a hoot to see how short you could get your skirt before being sent to Sister So-N-So for the hands by your side test!

....These are more teenage angst though.... thankfully we don't have to worry about them today! ;)

Stella
1-24-12, 9:16pm
Thanks for all of the perspectives everyone! I am still mulling it over, partly to see if they are still interested in it, but I think it has potential. I'm not too worried about teasing since they are homeschoolers. There's not a lot of peer pressure for them. Also, they have a lot of friends who wear uniforms for school. Since it would be a joint decision between the kids and me and we aren't beholden to a school code of any kind, we can find something that works for them. They rejected my suggestion of yoga pants and t-shirts (my own personal "uniform"). :) They'd also be able to accesorize any way they wanted to and if it didn't work, they grow out of their clothes pretty quickly at this age. Really quickly. :)

I am definitely finding that we have to, at minimum, get dressed in the morning. I am such a slug when I sit around in my jammies all day.

domestic goddess
1-25-12, 6:50am
A few years ago, the public schools in Chicago started requiring "uniforms", due to gang related violence. Nothing difficult or expensive to buy; navy blue pants and white shirts, plain T shirts fine. Funny thing, when interviewed, it was the parents who were upset, the kids couldn't have cared less. Parents whining about how their little darlings' creativity was being stifled, while the kids, I think, were relieved that they wouldn't inadvertently wear the colors of the wrong gang and risk getting beat up or worse. That thought didn't seem to matter to the parents.
By the end of the first year, everyone was doing fine in their navy blue pants and white shirts. No complaints. I don't know if it really did make a difference in gang violence, but it was nice to see a group of teens without obnoxious or sexually explicit T shirts on. The plain white T shirts were clean and stain-free, unlike my own clothing, because I have this inability to stay clean. But the kids looked nice, they were all dressed the same, and there was less distinction between the "haves" and "have nots". I think even the parents had gotten over it.

domestic goddess
1-25-12, 6:54am
BTW, when my dd started Catholic school in high school, she didn't balk about the uniforms at all. She liked not having to think about what she was going to wear, especially as she is not a morning person. Of course, the girls hiked up their skirts as much as they thought they could get away with, which wasn't all that much.

domestic goddess
1-25-12, 7:07am
If your girls should get tired of their uniforms, there will soon be a new season, and a few changes can easily be made, but I find that kids don't really care that much about their everyday gear. It seems to be more of a parental thing. My granddaughters are both small for their ages, and don't grow fast (except their feet!), and we actually bought very little new school clothing this past year. We did just have to buy new boots and gym shoes, though, because all their energy apparently goes into growing their feet. Well, the little one wears the same shoe size as the older one, who has smallish feet for her age, I guess. Maybe one or both of them will have a little growth spurt this spring, but no problem, since there wasn't one in the fall.
I do want to pick up new swimsuits for them, though. They are in the pool daily during the summer, and they take lessons.