PDA

View Full Version : Glad I made it

biblioman
1-29-12, 3:56pm
Many thanks to lhamo for helping me get squared away. I look forward to getting to know all of you better along the way. biblioman

lhamo
1-29-12, 4:02pm
Welcome, biblioman -- look forward to your posts and to getting to know you better!

Do you just love books, or do you work in a library? Lots of fellow book enthusiasts here :)

lhamo

leslieann
1-29-12, 5:57pm
Welcome! I hope you find a pleasant "home" here. Where are you from? And do you have one of those eReader thingies? I am struggling with my book habit and would like to clean up my act but can't imagine a book I can't hand to a friend.

Would love to hear more about you.

biblioman
1-29-12, 11:23pm
Hi Everyone,

I'm from the Great Plains region of the US. Middle aged with a wife and two small children. I'm a librarian at a local college and while there are parts of my job I like, I spend much too much time in a cubicle staring at a computer screen. I read Your Money or Your Life late last year and it resonated with me on a deep level. I've been interested in living a simpler, more graceful existence for a long time. I grew up living rather simply, my parents were products of Depression Era poverty and were always quite frugal. Like many, I didn't follow their example and woke up one morning realizing that I was in debt up to my eyeballs and chained to job that prevented me from doing things I really cared about. I've spent the last year or so working to pay off debt and trying to examine just what my values are and how I can live into them. I've read a lot of Wendell Berry and Viktor Frankl in the last year (in between changing diapers and helping with homework). Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning really made me begin to think about what is important to me and how I can align my life with those priorities.

So, I hope to find community with people here who, if they don't have the answers, at least are exploring what the questions are. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Peace,
Biblioman

Float On
1-30-12, 7:20am
Welcome!

catherine
1-30-12, 7:24am
Welcome, Biblioman! Thanks for introducing yourself.

Yes, YMOL can do that to you (make you think about where your life energy is going).

Victor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning is one of my favorites, too!

HumboldtGurl
1-31-12, 9:04pm
Biblioman, welcome!

The first time I read YMOL was when I happened to see it on a library shelf. I love libraries!

danna
1-31-12, 9:59pm
Welcome you will love it here...
You have come to the right place...

biblioman
2-3-12, 10:28pm
Thanks everyone. I'm enjoying looking around and feel inspired by many of the stories I'm reading. I appreciate the warm welcome.

fidgiegirl
2-12-12, 9:48pm
Biblioman, Welcome!!

I have been enjoying Mr. Money Mustache's blog lately. He is funny and he talks about how early retirement can happen. Early retirement in and of itself isn't what would align with my values, but having time to pursue volunteerism, create business opportunities, feel I have time to dedicate to the relationships in my life . . . well, that is what I feel I could gain by implementing some of his ideas. Plus, he's super funny and very positive.

Check it out!

peggy
2-13-12, 2:44pm
Welcome Biblioman. Eh...read any good books lately?

Gardenarian
2-13-12, 4:19pm
Greetings Biblioman, from a fellow librarian (out in California.) I'm a reference librarian at a community college. Look forward to hearing more!

gimmethesimplelife
2-14-12, 9:36am
Hi Everyone,

I'm from the Great Plains region of the US. Middle aged with a wife and two small children. I'm a librarian at a local college and while there are parts of my job I like, I spend much too much time in a cubicle staring at a computer screen. I read Your Money or Your Life late last year and it resonated with me on a deep level. I've been interested in living a simpler, more graceful existence for a long time. I grew up living rather simply, my parents were products of Depression Era poverty and were always quite frugal. Like many, I didn't follow their example and woke up one morning realizing that I was in debt up to my eyeballs and chained to job that prevented me from doing things I really cared about. I've spent the last year or so working to pay off debt and trying to examine just what my values are and how I can live into them. I've read a lot of Wendell Berry and Viktor Frankl in the last year (in between changing diapers and helping with homework). Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning really made me begin to think about what is important to me and how I can align my life with those priorities.

So, I hope to find community with people here who, if they don't have the answers, at least are exploring what the questions are. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Peace,
BibliomanI have been meaning to read Frankl's book for SO long, thanks for mentioning it and reminding me! Welcome and glad to have you here. Rob