PDA

View Full Version : Painting ?

artist
1-31-12, 9:40am
I live in a small home that was built in 1965. Over the years we have been slowing doing updates here and there to the interior but doing so on a budget. Mostly it's been cosmetic. For example we can't replace the kitchen cabinets yet so we just updated the backsplash and hardward and did peal and stick tiles over the tired linoleum floor to give it an updated feel.

All the walls in my home painted the same color, which is a neutral light sand color. Last year we painted over the wood paneling in the living room and it came out great. With the small space it really opened things up to have the uniformity. Right now we are considering painting all the wood trim (stained wood right now) in the house one or two shades lighter than the walls. The wood trim gives it an outdated feel and really distracts the eye.

My question is. Do I paint the doors the color of the wall or the color of the trim? The narrow hallway (ranch house, one floor 964 sq ft) has six doors off of it. Hall closet (sits at the head of the hall in the living room), linen closet (18 inch door), bathroom (28 inch) and three bedrooms (30 inch).

Edited to add that the metal front door and back door are both similar in color to the walls. Very close actually and were our inspiration for the wall color. So I'm leaning towards doing the wall color on the doors, but wanted to get other opinions.

We are also considering replacing the flat hollow core doors with a textured six panel hollow core. Just to add a little more style, but I'm not sure if paint and perhaps new knobs would just be enough to breath new life into the old doors.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

herbgeek
1-31-12, 9:43am
My personal taste is to paint the doors and trim the same color, different from the walls, so that they "pop".

citrine
1-31-12, 11:30am
We have a 1954 house and ended up painting all the wood paneling and doors. We painted the doors the color of the trim so they actually pop against the color of the walls. Instead of buying new knobs ($25-$30 a piece) we ended up spray painting them with Krylon Metal Orb (dark black color with some shiny stuff) and it looks amazing!

Sissy
1-31-12, 7:23pm
I would definately paint the doors with the trim. Very unified. I do know for a fact that raised panel doors really bring the interiors "back to the future". Be sure and use a good washable paint.

Mrs-M
2-1-12, 9:46am
Oh, definitely paint the doors (and trim) white! Adds freshness, along with sophisticated elegance and appeal. Love the sounds of everything you are doing, Artist.