PDA

View Full Version : 'Recyling' cake that didn't turn out

mira
2-3-12, 12:42pm
I made some fruitcake that did not rise properly, but I can't bear to throw it out. Any ideas on how I could 'recycle' it? Would toasting slices of it work? Or incorporating it into some other baked dish?

redfox
2-3-12, 1:36pm
I bet baking it again in the style of biscotti might work. I'd recommend looking at varous biscotti recipes.

IshbelRobertson
2-3-12, 2:24pm
My Granny (paternal) used to send us a huge clootie dumpling for each family member on their birthday - regardless of where in the world we were living. Until you have sampled a Clootie Dumpling that has arrived, in a greasy, brown paper package in the heat of Singapore... you don't really know what recycling cake can involved!

My Dad's favourite (if he could persuade my Mum) was to have a slice, dusted with icing sugar and fried, gently in melted butter! You could try that.

What about crumbling the fruit cake and adding it to plain, vanilla ice-cream? Refreeze again and you have Christmas cake ice-cream.

Use a scone cutter. Cut into circles, top with a slice of pineapple and a dollop of cream or thick custard.

herbgeek
2-3-12, 4:36pm
Maybe crumble it up and make a trifle with it- layered with whipped cream and maybe some fresh berries?

Amaranth
2-4-12, 1:46pm
Crumbled in yogurt
Croutons on a salad
Sliced thin like melba toast and spread with cream cheese

Jemima
2-4-12, 4:05pm
Maybe crumb the whole thing and make Breadcrumb Cookies? That's what I'm planning to do with some Apple Bread that was a bomb. Reduce sugar in the following recipe accordingly:

Bread Crumb Cookies

1 1/4 c flour
1 1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 c cocoa
1/2 c milk
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2/3 c melted shortening
2 c bread crumbs

Sift together dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients and add to dry mixture. Add melted shortening and bread crumbs. Drop by spoonfuls onto an a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until done.

mira
2-5-12, 6:53am
Thanks everyone!

I might try different things with it. Crumbling it up in ice cream/trifle/yoghurt sounds divine, as it's quite moist and got lots of fruit through it. I'll also try re-baking it in slices. Jemima - I love the idea of making it into cookies. I'll have to see if I can get it to dry out a little first!