PDA

View Full Version : tax return

jona28
2-15-12, 11:40am
what to do with tax return of $4500. I want to do the best thing with this. we have 2 car loans. (1 is $17000 other is $10,000) CC of $14000.@10.9%. Lots of debt, were working on it.Would it be best to sell $17,000 and use tax return to pay cash for a used cheap car, leading to no payments? Or dump it on CC? confused.

jennipurrr
2-15-12, 12:07pm
How much is the car with the $17,000 loan worth? Do you need two vehicles? Could you get by with one for a time? If you could, you could sell one car and put the tax refund towards your remaining debt.

If you need two cars then I would lean towards selling the car with the $17,000 loan and using the extra money and refund to buy a solid used car with cash. I would try to find a good used car that you can pay cash for. Mr Money Mustache blog had a good post about the best used car for the buck - http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/11/28/new-cars-and-auto-financing-stupid-or-sensible/

Now you are down to one car payment and a cc payment. I would use the snowball technique to apply your extra money from the $17K loan you got rid of to the highest interest payment, get rid of that and then move on to the last debt.

Also, I would consider building a small emergency fund ($1000 or so right now) if you don't already have one. That way you will not have to go to the CC if you have an unexpected expense pop up.

jona28
2-15-12, 12:58pm
Car is worth $17000. yes we need 2 vehicles. thanks