PDA

View Full Version : Unpleasant work atmosphere

mira
2-15-12, 1:44pm
I have been temporarily placed at another site within the organisation I work for. I've been there since August and will be moving back to my original location at the end of this month.

The atmosphere in the 'new' site has really left me feeling drained and demotivated. I work with two staff members who are senior to me, and each day is filled with interminable complaining from them - both about work and personal lives. Most of this complaining is masked as passive-aggressive 'joking' - it's even directed at colleagues in other departments sometimes, criticising their staff/department.

When there isn't complaining, there is endless and repeated speculation and questions about various work events (how many times can I tell them I DON'T KNOW?!).

Evidently I've been unable to develop a way to deal with this situation effectively over the last six months. I don't engage, I just respond to everything with 'mmhmm', but it still really affects me - I'm snappy and abrupt and normally in a foul mood at work. They must thing I'm a moody b*tch.

I know I've left it a bit late, but what could I do to handle this better? And is it worth telling my boss, particularly because they're not really presenting our service in a good light by criticising other staff? I'll probably still have to work down there on occasion after returning to my original site.

Feels very good to vent... I'm always so tempted to bitch to colleagues I'm close with, but it's really not very professional.

TMC
2-15-12, 8:40pm
I have been temporarily placed at another site within the organisation I work for. I've been there since August and will be moving back to my original location at the end of this month.

The atmosphere in the 'new' site has really left me feeling drained and demotivated. I work with two staff members who are senior to me, and each day is filled with interminable complaining from them - both about work and personal lives. Most of this complaining is masked as passive-aggressive 'joking' - it's even directed at colleagues in other departments sometimes, criticising their staff/department.

When there isn't complaining, there is endless and repeated speculation and questions about various work events (how many times can I tell them I DON'T KNOW?!).

Evidently I've been unable to develop a way to deal with this situation effectively over the last six months. I don't engage, I just respond to everything with 'mmhmm', but it still really affects me - I'm snappy and abrupt and normally in a foul mood at work. They must thing I'm a moody b*tch.

I know I've left it a bit late, but what could I do to handle this better? And is it worth telling my boss, particularly because they're not really presenting our service in a good light by criticising other staff? I'll probably still have to work down there on occasion after returning to my original site.

Feels very good to vent... I'm always so tempted to bitch to colleagues I'm close with, but it's really not very professional.

I feel your pain, I have my own thread going about unpleasant work situations. I keep thinking myself about some way to put a positive spin on it. Is it posible that you could try to change the conversations to positive ones. I don't know what you do but what if when they start complaining you find some way to compliment them. How would they react if you commented on their great report, how much you learned from their spreadsheet, how adorable their kids are in the picture in their work area of if you're really desperate their great shoes or how nice their hair looks.

Everybody likes to be complimented and maybe they will see a more postive side of you and it will bring out the more positive side of them. How about even talking about some great news story you heard about, hero firefighter saves dog so on and so forth. Try to change the overall mood of things?

Good luck

Mighty Frugal
2-15-12, 9:21pm
If you are going back at the end of this month I wouldn't say anything to my boss. It's almost over. Hold tight and keep 'mmmm-ing'

mira
2-22-12, 3:50pm
Thank you both. I do sometimes try to edge things over to more positive ground, but I've never given compliments to them... I will have to give that a try. Hopefully they will not be refuted with self-deprecation!!

I'm feeling a little less stressed about it now since it's about to come to an end. I'm also trying to take a leaf out of my boyfriend's book, who doesn't let ANYTHING bother him. It's truly phenomenal.

puglogic
2-24-12, 1:05am
I love having people similar to your boyfriend in my life, mira. Such good perspective! :)