PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a (manual) food mill?

puglogic
1-22-11, 12:53pm
I'd like to get one that will last me for a long time. Of course, I'm leery of all of those cheap versions of everything out there in the marketplace that'll come apart after a year or two.

Does anyone have a good, stout, hand-cranked food mill that
--they use regularly
--they feel is made to last
--is still available for purchase somewhere?

Thanks!
pug
(trying to get rid of all the cheap hunks of plastic in her life)

iris lily
1-22-11, 5:13pm
Is that the same thing as a meat grinder? DH has his mom's, or is it my mom's, meat grinder. Weighs a ton. IF I thoguht he wouldn't miss it I'd send it to you, but no dice.

Gina
1-22-11, 5:56pm
Here is a photo of a food mill. And yes, I did pick the messiest looking pic. Cuz that is how mine always looked before I gave it to the thrift store. :~)

I too had wanted one for a long time and then found a used one. In the end I thought it was more bother and mess than I was willing to deal with. I only used it for tomatoes, and guess in the end I don't much mind skins and seeds in things. Maybe I just didn't know how to use it properly.

http://www.eatsforone.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/w2_101_food_mill_junk.jpg

janharker
1-24-11, 7:31pm
I use mine for making mashed potatoes. Couldn't tell you what the brand name is. There's no name on it and I inherited it. But whatever it is, it's less fancy than the one in your picture. But bigger.

redfox
1-24-11, 8:32pm
I had a Foley food mill. I got it at Goodwill, used it for years, and passed it onto a friend with a baby.

razz
1-24-11, 10:45pm
I love our Foley food mill and use it for apple sauce, tomato juice that I preparing for canning in our pressure canner. They have some really nice stainless steel ones now.

I thought that you meant a food mill for grinding whole grains for flour when I first looked at the thread.

treehugger
1-25-11, 12:42pm
I have one that is plastic (but very sturdy, well-designed plastic) that I use for apple sauce (indispensible! no need to core or peel the apples!), tomato sauce (if making from fresh tomatoes; I don't care for skins in my sauce), and processing chile sauce or paste made from dried chiles. It's an Italian brand (I don't remember the name) that I bought from Lee Valley Garden Tools years ago.

I think its primary use (based on the pictures on the box) is for tomato sauce, but, obviously, it works for other things. It was very reasonably priced and it's easy to use.

IshbelRobertson
1-25-11, 4:37pm
I don't know if they are available in the USA/Canada - but I have a French 'mouli' (made by moulinex). I used it when my children were young to make our foods suitable for babies!