PDA

View Full Version : Republican Candidates: Where Are We Now?

Gregg
2-29-12, 9:47am
Mr. Romney is obviously the big winner after MI and AZ, but maybe not as big as he would have liked. Super Tuesday (10 state primaries) is next week so none of the competition is going to drop out before that. His win in MI should play well in Ohio on Tuesday.

Mr. Santorum has enough momentum to stay in the race and did pretty well with conservatives, but the big prizes Tuesday are GA and OH. He will probably play pretty well in OH, but is up against the native son (Gingrich) in GA.

Mr. Paul put up respectable results so will probably keep chugging along and go for support in low delegate states like ND and OK.

Mr. Gingrich appears to be the big loser finishing third (ahead of Ron Paul) in AZ and last in MI. If Gingrich doesn't at least win GA, his home state, and one or two other states you have to think he's done.

So what do you guys think? I'm thinking Romney is the guy to beat and as long as he can keep quiet about all his rich buddies he should do well on Tuesday.

peggy
2-29-12, 9:54am
If he can keep his mouth shut for a spell, he will be the one to beat. He really needs to quit trying to be 'one of the people'. He really isn't and it's just painful to watch him try.
"The trees are the right height!" Really?
Santorum and Paul are too fringe and Gingrich is just too mean.

LDAHL
2-29-12, 10:33am
The increased likelihood of a Romney candidacy probably means that the current administration will shift from cultural to class warfare in the coming months.

puglogic
2-29-12, 12:02pm
I don't see any "cultural warfare" happening, just the b.s. of politics as usual. (this "warfare" thing was an invention of the right, and it's amusing to watch how they apply it to everyone who doesn't agree with them) And if you define "class warfare" as pointing out the right's natural tendency to let corporations run roughshod over economic policy that benefits everyone in the realm, well, then yes, I'm sure we'll see a lot of what you're expecting to see, because a lot of people will resonate with that message. It is a vital point of difference between the parties.

As a native Detroiter, I dislike Romney but he appears to be the "devil we know," same old supply-side economics, blah blah blah. And watching Santorum snuggling up to women following his defeat in Michigan is just plain nauseating. Pity that Ron Paul didn't make a better showing. In any case it will be interesting to watch the Republican party decide what it wants to be this year, through it's choice of a nominee.

redfox
2-29-12, 1:07pm
It's shocking to me how dreadful the leading candidates are on the R side. My R family members all have had it, largely due to the so-called culture wars, one of the meaner constructs of the far right, and adopted by current candidates. The divisiveness of this framing of social policy differences, and calling it a 'war' is despicable.

I would not be surprised if all my former R family members stay home for both the caucuses & the election. What happened to this once strong party?

bae
2-29-12, 1:15pm
Well put, Redfox.

Gregg
2-29-12, 1:26pm
The increased likelihood of a Romney candidacy probably means that the current administration will shift from cultural to class warfare in the coming months.

Bank on it, so to speak. I bet the assault on the rich campaign is pretty much in the can. What else have the DNC strategists had to do? We'll see if Warren Buffett really does shut up and write a check!

He really needs to quit trying to be 'one of the people'.

Peggy, you say that as if the current President is 'common folk'. As I recall the Obamas earned something like $5.5 million their first year in the White House. Not as good as Mitt Romney, but you can live on it. I think the cutoff point to get you into the top 1% of earners is $380,000/year meaning Mr. Obama is 15 times the man our base level 1% rich dude is.

The real point is that Presidents aren't like everyone else. People that have the drive and ambition and the fortitude to stand up and take the shots have something most of the rest of us don't. Of the ten men that have been President in my lifetime Ford and Carter were probably closest to being 'average Joes', but if you read their life stories even they were natural leaders for most of their lives. Being one of the boys (or someday, one of the girls) isn't something that really fits in the job description of President.

Gregg
2-29-12, 1:44pm
It's shocking to me how dreadful the leading candidates are on the R side. My R family members all have had it, largely due to the so-called culture wars, one of the meaner constructs of the far right, and adopted by current candidates. The divisiveness of this framing of social policy differences, and calling it a 'war' is despicable.

I would not be surprised if all my former R family members stay home for both the caucuses & the election. What happened to this once strong party?

An interesting take on conservative politics from a liberal point of view. Thanks redfox. Curiously, the conservative side of my own family is somewhat energized. Many are fans of Ron Paul, but also realists at this point in time. From what I'm hearing most of them are getting set to rally around Mitt Romney. A few of the Dems in my family are also taking a hard look at Mr. Romney because they feel their other choice has been, well, dreadful. Mostly, there is a lot of discussion regarding who his running mate might be.

Here's a surprising statistic from Michigan. Since its an open primary anyone could vote. I heard a report saying that 10% of the voters were Democratic. Not that surprising with Ron Paul and Mitt Romney in the race, right? Well it seems that 50% of those Dems voted for Santorum. Hmmm. Who were they scared of?

puglogic
2-29-12, 2:12pm
Could it beeeeee......Satan?????? :D Seriously, it goes without saying that there are many, many religious folk in Michigan who share some or all of Santorum's "stances" on certain issues, namely abortion, birth control, a woman's proper place in society, and non-separation of church and state. That 5000 or so of them voted for him doesn't surprise me at all, and means nothing in the big scheme of things. About as meaningful as the number of Republicans who voted for Obama in 2008.

JaneV2.0
2-29-12, 5:28pm

Peggy, you say that as if the current President is 'common folk'. As I recall the Obamas earned something like $5.5 million their first year in the White House. Not as good as Mitt Romney, but you can live on it. I think the cutoff point to get you into the top 1% of earners is $380,000/year meaning Mr. Obama is 15 times the man our base level 1% rich dude is. ...

The real point is that Presidents aren't like everyone else. People that have the drive and ambition and the fortitude to stand up and take the shots have something most of the rest of us don't. Of the ten men that have been President in my lifetime Ford and Carter were probably closest to being 'average Joes', but if you read their life stories even they were natural leaders for most of their lives. Being one of the boys (or someday, one of the girls) isn't something that really fits in the job description of President.

President Obama wasn't born with a trust fund. He's certainly as middle class as Jimmy Carter. And I can't imagine George W. Bush leading anything more consequential than a panty raid. Otherwise, I agree with you.

ApatheticNoMore
2-29-12, 6:50pm
He's certainly as middle class as Jimmy Carter.

Not really. Look at their educational background. It seems Carter went to PUBLIC schools. Obama to PREP SCHOOL. That's just NOT COMPARABLE. Prep schools are the domain of priviledge. Carter doesn't have an Ivy league background either (rather a military background) and Carter started out politics in the state legistlature. Obama figuring his background priviledged him enough for it I suppose, went straight to the U.S. Senate.

redfox
2-29-12, 7:00pm
An interesting take on conservative politics from a liberal point of view. Thanks redfox. Curiously, the conservative side of my own family is somewhat energized. Many are fans of Ron Paul, but also realists at this point in time. From what I'm hearing most of them are getting set to rally around Mitt Romney. A few of the Dems in my family are also taking a hard look at Mr. Romney because they feel their other choice has been, well, dreadful. Mostly, there is a lot of discussion regarding who his running mate might be.

I certainly hope they are energized! I hope all moderate R's are plotting to take back their party from these Taliban-like lunatics. Seriously! Banning contraception? Rolling back domestic violence protections? H.R. 347, making it a crime to protest in the vicinity of an elected, EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEY ARE THERE?!? This stuff is crazy.

Gregg
2-29-12, 7:06pm
He's certainly as middle class as Jimmy Carter. And I can't imagine George W. Bush leading anything more consequential than a panty raid. Otherwise, I agree with you.

The Bush family has plenty of silver spoons, which is why I didn't mention them in my comment. As for Mr. Obama making $5.5 million in a year and being middle class... I suppose that is why the middle class is shrinking (because most of us make less than that).

ApatheticNoMore
2-29-12, 7:25pm
H.R. 347, making it a crime to protest in the vicinity of an elected, EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEY ARE THERE?!? This stuff is crazy.

I have to research this more. It is possible the concern is overblown (believe me I did my research on NDAA, it's why I feel as I do - that it is watershed).

Anyway H.R. 347, only 3 people voted against that (Ron Paul didn't vote FWIW). Now I know the house is Republican dominated, but when only 3 people vote against it and 388 for and a bunch abstain from voting, I'm not sure the problem is only about one party. We seem to have a bi-partisan fascism problem (or if you don't like my language - a bi-partisan police state problem). It's real and extremely troubling. I looked at the NDAA breakdown of votes btw, far more dems in the house opposed it than Reps but many Dems still voted for it, and it sailed through the Senate regardless of party and against all attempted ammendments.

By the way H.R. 347 obviously can not pass without Obamas signature. So will Obama sign it (like he did NDAA)?

puglogic
2-29-12, 7:46pm
Prep schools are the domain of priviledge. Carter doesn't have an Ivy league background either (rather a military background) and Carter started out politics in the state legistlature. Obama figuring his background priviledged him enough for it I suppose, went straight to the U.S. Senate.

Obama went to public school in his early years and then went to prep school on a scholarship. Harvard was funded with the help of scholarships and student loans. And he went to the U.S. Senate because people elected him. I don't get the privilege thing, or maybe I'm just bristly because my mom & dad busted their butts and saved their pennies to send me to private school? I'd hate to get stuck with a label by someone who doesn't know my whole story.

Gotta face it -- a millionaires' club is running our nation. If they weren't wealthy, they likely never could've been elected. NOBODY'S "I'm a regular guy" act works with me. The questions are "which millionaire will be chosen" and "can my millionaire beat your millionaire?" (in a cage match, or otherwise) Kinda sad, really.

ApatheticNoMore
2-29-12, 8:49pm
Obama went to public school in his early years and then went to prep school on a scholarship.

I went to public school all my life, how many people did I meet that had prep school scholarships? Well exactly zero, and not everyone was an underachiever. Such a thing was in fact ENTIRELY UNHEARD OF. So no I don't think this is part of ordinary people's worlds, or the public school experience (something that hey any public school kid if only they work hard enough and get good enough grades has access to).

I don't get the privilege thing, or maybe I'm just bristly because my mom & dad busted their butts and saved their pennies to send me to private school? I'd hate to get stuck with a label by someone who doesn't know my whole story.

Isn't that priviledge to some degree though?

Gotta face it -- a millionaires' club is running our nation. If they weren't wealthy, they likely never could've been elected. NOBODY'S "I'm a regular guy" act works with me.

To be sure.

bae
2-29-12, 9:29pm
My parents started out not middle-class, but trailer-in-the-woods class. Yet I went to one of the best prep schools in the country. On a competitively-awarded academic scholarship, all expenses paid. This got me out of a horrible gang-and-drug infested public school, the very same school parodied in the fine film "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". The scholarship was awarded and paid directly by Samuel Goldwyn Jr., and covered room, board, tuition, transportation, clothing, vacations, and plenty of pocket money, so I wouldn't feel like a second-class student. My conversations with Mr. Goldwyn over the years are part of what has inspired my own philanthropy. Thanks Sam!

A substantial part of my Ivy League education was also funded by individual philanthropy, or organized alumni class philanthropy.

JaneV2.0
2-29-12, 9:33pm
I don't consider going to a private school the equivalent of being the child (and grandchild) of exceptionally wealthy people such as the Bushes, Romneys, or Kennedys.

iris lily
2-29-12, 10:27pm
... Obama figuring his background priviledged him enough for it I suppose, went straight to the U.S. Senate.

Dude, Obama did time in Springfield where the IL legislature meets. Granted they are minimal credentials, but he served his time in state politics.

chanterelle
2-29-12, 10:34pm
My parents started out not middle-class, but trailer-in-the-woods class. Yet I went to one of the best prep schools in the country. On a competitively-awarded academic scholarship, all expenses paid. This got me out of a horrible gang-and-drug infested public school, the very same school parodied in the fine film "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". The scholarship was awarded and paid directly by Samuel Goldwyn Jr., and covered room, board, tuition, transportation, clothing, vacations, and plenty of pocket money, so I wouldn't feel like a second-class student. My conversations with Mr. Goldwyn over the years are part of what has inspired my own philanthropy. Thanks Sam!

A substantial part of my Ivy League education was also funded by individual philanthropy, or organized alumni class philanthropy.

Very cool as well as inspiring. Here's hoping that your own philanthropy will also inspire someone else and continue to widen the beneficial ripple effect into the future.

iris lily
2-29-12, 10:47pm
Gregg, where we are now is that Mitt will be the nominee. Let's get on with it.

redfox
2-29-12, 10:52pm
Dude, Obama did time in Springfield where the IL legislature meets. Granted they are minimal credentials, but he served his time in state politics.

Hahaha! ESPECIALLY in Illinois! I lived in Chicago for w time... The politics in the Great State of Lincoln are, well, intriguing.

goldensmom
3-1-12, 7:04am

Primaries and issues aside, the way I’ve observed the Republican party operate over the 30 years that I’ve been voting is that it is simply Mitt Romney’s turn/time. In 2008, Romney dropped out of the race because McCain had put in his time, done his duty to the party and it was his turn to be the Republican candidate for president and to be the republican sacrifice to the democrats who were poised to win anyhow. Romney will somehow, someway be the Republican party’s nominee because it is his turn to be so.

catherine
3-1-12, 7:40am

Wow, cool story! So you actually got to speak with him--the scholarship wasn't part of a big foundation? In what way, if at all, did the impact of this experience drive your politics?

Gregg
3-1-12, 10:56am

Ya hate to call a race before Super Tuesday, but it is Romney's to lose at this point. I personally think that Romney has the best chance of defeating Mr. Obama. His MA healthcare history, soft stance on abortion, etc. should attract at least as many Democratic votes as it costs hard line Republican votes. His relatively moderate platform should also attract a lot of Independent voters. The competitive primary season should help the Republican nominee because the skeletons should all be out of the closet before the Dems get a real shot at him.

Let's face it, the recession has been just as hard on Dems and Independents as it has on Reps so the economy is going to be THE issue. Whether everything is his fault or not, Mr. Obama is behind the 8-ball because things have not improved during his tenure. If Romney can solidify his economic vision into a plan that makes sense the election should be his to lose in much the same way the nomination is now.

It will be interesting to see who he picks for a running mate. I tossed Romeny/Rubio out about 6 months ago and still think that would be a pretty solid ticket. Rubio says he's not interested, but don't they all? He makes up for a lot of Romney's shortcomings. He's young, good looking and charismatic, none of that hurts in the TV age. He's the son of immigrants and went to state schools so plays pretty well to the working class, obviously a Romney weakness. He's conservative enough to gather in quite a few Tea Party votes that Romney might not get on his own. Florida will probably go Republican this election anyway, but having a Floridian on the ticket would be a great insurance policy. I believe only CA and TX have more electoral votes than FL, so that's a big deal. Being Cuban-American he should definitely appeal to the Hispanic voters which would be a huge lift in TX (which would probably go red anyway) and may even give some swing to California. I don't know enough about the guy to know if there is any dirt do dig up, but on the surface he seems like a great choice. No matter what else I am pretty confident predicting the VP nominee will not be from Alaska.

goldensmom
3-1-12, 11:08am
Rubio says he's not interested, but don't they all? He makes up for a lot of Romney's shortcomings. He's young, good looking and charismatic, none of that hurts in the TV age.

Hey......Romney's good lookin'.

Gregg
3-1-12, 11:19am
Hey......Romney's good lookin'.

Haha, yea he is. That didn't come out quite the way I meant.

Hey Iris, the one thing we never talked about was that Gingrich won South Carolina. The Republican nominee every year since 1980 has been the winner of SC. I still think this is the year their string gets broken, but Newt has some powerful juju with that one!