PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a tile shower

fidgiegirl
3-3-12, 1:07am
DH and I installed a tile shower at the new house. (OMG - what a project.)

It occurs to me that I've never really had to be responsible for cleaning a tile shower! I've lived in houses with them, but always someone else cleaned them, if that makes any sense at all . . .

Anyway, what's your fave way to clean your shower?

I'm thinking a switch in brand of soap will be a first order thing for us. The Kirkland brand bars we were using always left a lot of residue on our shower curtains at the old house.

Rosemary
3-3-12, 4:10am
We installed a full tile surround in our bathtub a couple years ago. We used unsanded grout. About once/year I re-seal the grout - I bought the sealant at Menard's or Home Depot and can send you the product name if you need it. It comes in an orange-yellow bottle about 8" high.
We keep a squeegee in there to remove excess water after each shower. I use my usual dish soap spray for cleaning - nothing fancy or harsh. Having the tile/grout sealed makes a big difference.
We use olive oil soap and we do get some soap scum on the bathtub - that lower area probably ends up being the most difficult part of your shower to clean from the soap scum, I'm guessing. I use green plastic scotchbrite pads for scouring pans in the kitchen, and when they are not fully abrasive I put them in the bathroom for use in cleaning the soap scum.

Merski
3-3-12, 7:55am
If I have a lot of build up I use baking soda/water slurry and a soft sponge to clean and then rinse with warm water. This even takes rust build up! We used to make and use our own shower spray (vinegar water soap and rubbing alchohol) but we don't anymore

Mrs-M
3-3-12, 12:45pm
When it comes to tiled-shower enclosures, there is no magic secret to it, one has to dry out the enclosure (after every use) if you want the tiles looking their best. Even then, you will have to perform touch-up cleanings every month or so to keep build-up away.

Miss Cellane
3-3-12, 12:54pm
One apartment I had, the shower was tiled in those little one-inch-square tiles. I don't think the previous tenants had cleaned the shower, ever. I used a scrub brush and Bon Ami to clean it. The grey tiles miraculously turned blue! After that, I squeegeed after every shower and used the scrub brush/Bon Ami weekly. The bristles of the brush get into the grout lines and get them clean.

(And if you think that was bad, you don't want to hear about the stove top.)

Mrs-M
3-3-12, 1:48pm
Originally posted by Miss Cellane.
And if you think that was bad, you don't want to hear about the stove top.I can imagine. Element pots full of charred food, chrome rings that no longer look like chrome, and sticky black/brown built-up gunk, under each chrome ring, and a pool of shiny, almost syrup-like goo on the inside of the oven.

Miss Cellane
3-3-12, 4:07pm
I can imagine. Element pots full of charred food, chrome rings that no longer look like chrome, and sticky black/brown built-up gunk, under each chrome ring, and a pool of shiny, almost syrup-like goo on the inside of the oven.

The oven was spotless (the previous tenants must never have used it). The top was covered, completely covered in baked-on grease about 1/4 inch thick--to the point we thought the entire top was rusted, corroded metal. It wasn't until I started cleaning it that we realized the top was bright, shiny, blue enamel with white spatters--really pretty, after the 6 hour cleaning session revealed it. Very old gas stove, but it cooked great.

Mrs-M
3-4-12, 3:43pm
How awful. That's one of the problems with tenants (in general), they have no appreciation or respect for other people things.

Anne Lee
3-5-12, 4:59pm
I use a good microfiber cloth. When the shower is dry, give it a light spritz with plain water and wipe. I also allow the bathroom to dry completely and vacuum the floor and sometimes the tub. Otherwise, hair is hard to pick up.

Mrs-M
3-6-12, 9:55am
How about washing the floor, Anne Lee?

Anne Lee
3-7-12, 5:34pm
Mrs M. I wash the floor after I vacuum it. I spritz it w/ a cleaner and wipe down with yet another microfiber cloth. I can get the baseboards at the same time.

Oh, and I vacuum the fan vents with an attachment.

I find that a bathroom is much easier to clean when it's dry than wet.

Mrs-M
3-8-12, 8:54am
Anne Lee. Your method gives me food-for-thought, as I have always chosen the old-fashioned method of wiping down everything and mopping things up using a bucket of water/cleaner (and a rag).

Anne Lee
3-8-12, 11:23am
Mrs M. I like the spray bottles precisely because I don't need a bucket. Less stuff. And if I need more cleaning solution than what a spray bottle can spritz - be it plain water or something w/ disinfectant like pine oil - I can unscrew the nozzle and pour what I need out of the bottle.

The down side to my method is that since I am using less solution I need a better cleaning cloth. Old t-shirts don't really do the job. I save those for wiping down the toilet. As mentioned above I use a fresh microfiber cleaning cloth. You can buy a nice pack of those in the auto parts section. I find those are better quality than what I can get in the cleaning section. Oh, and I wash and dry the microfiber cloths by themselves so that their little "fingers" that pick up dirt don't get full of lint from other clothing.

I like this method because it's quick. I can swish and swipe the mirror, sink and stool per Flylady whenever I get a free moment. The floors and tub I do once a week. Sometimes, if I am having company I quick run the vacuum.

Of course, it helps that I think there are fewer people using my bathroom than there are yours. There are only three of us, DH, DS and myself. Traffic makes a huge difference in upkeep.

CathyA
3-8-12, 12:21pm
In both our bathrooms, we have cultured marble surrounds that are made to look like they have grout, but don't.........which is really great. The people from the company told me to clean it gently and then put a gloss gel on it, in the automotive section of the hardware store. Ahhh......I don't think so.
I usually just spray it with Tylex Tub and Tile cleaner and leave it on a while, and then gently scrub it with a soft cloth. They told me not to use a brush on it.

Mrs-M
3-8-12, 12:43pm
Gosh, Anne Lee, so behind the times I am Re: my system/method as compared to yours. I still do floors (separate from everything else), the toilets get cleaned with their own cleaner, and the tub/tiles/showers get cleaned with their own product.

P.S. Thank you for Microfiber Cloth tip!