PDA

View Full Version : Car Repairs...doing it yourself?

Maxamillion
3-8-12, 12:27am
My car needs some work done on it and has been overheating a lot. I don't know a lot about fixing them unfortunately; I've checked out a couple of books from the library and have been doing some searching on google. I took it to a mechanic today and he said he would put a new thermostat on it for $75. Well, I didn't have $75 to spare and had already looked at what the price of a new thermostat was--the total for both gasket and thermostat was about $8 (and that was getting the more expensive thermostat) and $75 seemed pretty out there. So I left without getting it done. I did go by the parts store and picked up one and I'm thinking of trying to fix it myself. If I can't get it figured out, then maybe I can find someone who can fix it cheaper.

Anyone have any tips on learning how to fix some stuff on your car yourself? Makes me nervous that I'll mess something up that I can't afford to get fixed, or horribly injure myself somehow.

redfox
3-8-12, 12:51am
It's clearly time for me to call it a night, as I read this as Cat Repairs... Doing it Yourself? ROFLMAO...

bae
3-8-12, 12:56am
Assuming you can access the spot to put the thermostat, this is one of the classic most trivial repairs you can do.

Go for it!

goldensmom
3-8-12, 7:04am
It's clearly time for me to call it a night, as I read this as Cat Repairs... Doing it Yourself? ROFLMAO...

I try to do all the cat repairs I can before I finally have to take the cat to the vet.

Regarding 'car' repairs.....we always do what we can due to inflated dealer cost for parts and due to the high labor costs of car repair. I research the symptoms of the problem, come up with the solution and my husband does the repair. Example, the Chrysler dealer gave a $400 estimate to fix our sliding van door that quit sliding. After researching the problem I found that it was an electrical problem that could be fixed by finding the break in the cable and soldering it. We found a youtube video showing how to do it, did it and it cost us nothing.

Changing a thermostat is relatively simple. If you're not sure how to do it, find a youtube video to help. We've done many repairs this way and some were complicated.

ctg492
3-8-12, 9:14am
For 33 years my hubby has said "DO I look like a mechanic??" when I ask him to fix or look at my cars. Then when the dealership wanted "gasping" $800 for plugs and filter install(benz), he went on ebay bought the stuff and tool and poof he was a mechanic. so good luck, what is the worse that could happen?

CathyA
3-8-12, 10:21am
You Tube has alot of good videos on all sorts of DIY fix-it stuff. Check it out for what you're going to do. Good luck.

Spartana
3-8-12, 1:50pm
The library will usually carry a "Chiltons" (or similair) auto repair guide book for your type of vehicle that covers several years and model types. They are probably online to so you could print out instructions specific to your vehicle model and year. You can then see how easy it is to change a thermostat in your particular vehicle - most are very easy and you only need basic tools. If you think it's something you can do yourself after reading the book, then give it a try. However, in either case don't wait too long to get it fixed otherwise you will go from a very inexpensive repair to something that can possibly cost hundreds - more likely thousands - of dollars to repair if your engine overheats and cracks the head or block. So even a $75 repair from the mechanic is vital if you are overheating. And a faulty thermostat that isn't repaired has lead to more damaged engines then just about anything else.

Bronxboy
3-8-12, 7:36pm
However, in either case don't wait too long to get it fixed otherwise you will go from a very inexpensive repair to something that can possibly cost hundreds - more likely thousands - of dollars to repair if your engine overheats and cracks the head or block. So even a $75 repair from the mechanic is vital if you are overheating. And a faulty thermostat that isn't repaired has lead to more damaged engines then just about anything else.
I'd like to second this. Whether you do it yourself or pay somebody, do it quickly.

Maxamillion
3-8-12, 11:21pm
Thanks guys. Been doing some more research. I'm going to go for it. I've got to get some wrenches and gasket sealant and should be ready to try it then.

CathyA
3-9-12, 7:23am
Good luck Maxamillion. Let us know how it goes and if it fixes the problem.

Maxamillion
3-10-12, 7:50pm
Whew!!! Just spent the last five hours working on the car. A couple of neighbors came over and helped me out too. Everything went smooth until we tried putting the thermostat housing back on and the bottom bolt didn't want to go back in. Took us about three hours trying to get it done. That was the hardest part of the whole thing. But it's on there now. Then we flushed the radiator out, it needed it bad. The old thermostat was pretty mangled--when I took it out, it just fell apart into three pieces. Definitely was time for a new one!

bae
3-10-12, 8:08pm
Good show. And you've stumbled across the usual thing that causes these sorts of projects to run over-time - it's always some silly bolt that doesn't want to come out, or doesn't want to go back in. The first, or last, 10% of the project likes to eat up 90% of the time :-)

fidgiegirl
3-10-12, 8:15pm
I'm glad you checked back in. Congrats!!

I was trying to find an entry on Mr. Money Mustache that talks about this, but alas, couldn't.

Back on the old boards I was encouraged by someone or many, not sure now, to repair my own laptop. I did, and kept it limping along for a good while. It was a high! Well done!!

Bronxboy
3-10-12, 8:41pm
Well done!:)

goldensmom
3-11-12, 7:54am
Now you can add auto mechanic to your resume.

Maxamillion
3-12-12, 1:51am
Thanks guys!

CathyA
3-12-12, 8:35am
Congrats Max!