PDA

View Full Version : Compost Gardening

goldensmom
3-21-12, 9:54am
It’s going on 2 weeks of 80 degree weather (40 degrees higher than normal for this time of year) and some neighbors are getting the itch to start their gardens. I’ve seen some gardens worked up already and it’s not even time to start the seed plants. Thus far I’ve stuck with my resolve to NOT plant a vegetable garden this year but my husband suggested that we/I broadcast some seed into the compost pile and see what grows. He said his parents always had vegetables grow in the compost pile. I’m thinking of doing it because it won’t cause me any extra work or clean up in the fall as anything that grows is already in the compost pile. I did notice volunteer tomato plants in the chicken run last year. Anyone have experience/luck with this sort of ‘gardening’?

puglogic
3-21-12, 1:19pm
We almost always have a pumpkin and some peas growing out of the compost pile....I think it's nice. But I've never done it on purpose yet. Sounds like a good idea if you're not going to be needing your compost for anything else this season!

Float On
3-21-12, 9:38pm
The chickens get into my compost and look for seeds so I haven't really had anything take root and grow in there.