PDA

View Full Version : Decoupage question

CathyA
3-26-12, 11:16am
I've wanted to do this for awhile, and thought it would be a great gift for DH for Father's day (although I guess it would be more appropriate for Mother's day.......his mother, may she RIP).
I did a few decoupage projects a very long time ago. I used a product that was meant for that......can't think of the name. Oh.....Hodge Podge!

Okay......here's what I want to do. I have a small, very used wooden cutting board of my MIL's. I also have several much loved recipes that she wrote out for me, and I have a picture of her in her kitchen with an apron on.
I want to mount the pic and a recipe on this very-worn cutting board.
But the cutting board feels rather oily. I don't want to strip it, as I want it unadulterated.......except for the coating.
Will the decoupage liquid stick to something that's a bit oily?
I guess I could just use it on the recipe and picture??
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

citrine
3-26-12, 11:23am
Modge Podge works wonders! You could rub some sandpaper on it, but I think if you apply liberal amounts of modge podge on the board, then put the pic/recipe and then slather some more on all of that and leave it to dry....it will work. It sounds like an awesome gift and I know he will love it :)

CathyA
3-26-12, 11:29am
Thanks citrine! hahahaha "Hodge Podge".........I almost got it right! :)

JaneV2.0
3-26-12, 11:46am
Mod Podge.

CathyA
3-26-12, 1:05pm
LOL! Third time's a charm!

beckyliz
3-26-12, 1:50pm
Please post a pic when you're done! I love looking at other people's craftiness.

JaneV2.0
3-26-12, 8:53pm
LOL! Third time's a charm!

My mother was the Queen of Mod Podge. She always had a keen eye for line and color, and created all kinds of little treasures.

Mrs-M
3-27-12, 11:50am
What a unique and interesting idea, CathyA!

jania
3-28-12, 1:59pm
Cathy, I just wanted to suggest you perhaps color photocopy the recipes and photo you want to apply to the cutting board. A good quality color photocopy will look identical with the originals and you won't regret damaging the originals later on.

CathyA
3-28-12, 2:26pm
Thanks everyone! Jania.......that's a good idea! that way, I'll still have the originals.
Thanks.