PDA

View Full Version : The Herbs Are In

Gregg
3-26-12, 12:22pm
Well, most of them. Even with all this global warming its still too early for basil around here. We did get bedding plants of thyme, oregano, lavender, marjoram, chives, rosemary and lemon balm. We will plant a few others from seed this week as well. Its only March in Nebraska and the conventional wisdom says to plant after Mother's Day. Its been 70 or 80 degrees for the past 2 weeks so I couldn't stand it any more. We plant our herbs in pots mostly so we can bring them in at the end of the season, but this year I will put them in the garage if we get a spring cold snap. If not we will be 6 weeks ahead of schedule!!! Wooo hooo!

herbgeek
3-26-12, 7:39pm
Other than the herbs I overwintered in pots, I'm still bringing my herbs in at night when it gets cold. Except for the parsley I planted out, which is probably going to die tonight as the low is expected to be 21 degrees. Brrrr. The overwintered pots are in the (unheated) greenhouse elevated so hoping the cold won't do too much damage. The basil is safely in the house.

Zoebird
3-26-12, 8:34pm
no really sure what to do here. better to have a friend who knows, I guess.

Jemima
4-9-12, 3:23pm
I planted a lot of things earlier this year than the usual mid-May. The snow peas are coming up very nicely, and some of the herbs never did die off with the warm winter we had. Big clumps of oregano and chamomile never even turned brown, and last year's parsley looks like it's going to make a go of a second year.