PDA

View Full Version : Best tracking method for savings account?

Joyous_5
3-30-12, 8:33am
Hi all,

I've recently closed several savings accounts and consolidated them into one joint account with my husband. We have five areas that we are tracking separately within the one account.

A ledger book is how I've been trying to track these, but I'm finding it difficult. I either forget to add/deduct from accounts (am sure I missed some deposits recently) and it's tedious to keep up. Also with a toddler underfoot and working from home, it's usually hard to find quiet time to work on this without making it into a big production.

Looking for the simplest, easiest, most inexpensive method--any suggestions?

Float On
3-30-12, 8:40am
Do you do better on paper or on computer?
I tend to do better on paper on that sort of thing and just kept several registers in one checkbook to keep track of sub-accounts. That way I had room to make notes. From one account I had regualr checking for household budget but I'd also rec'd money from MIL for a building project, and money for homeschooling, and money I was saving for household projects. Keeping several registars I was able to detail the building project purchases, track the homeschooling budget, and know when I had enough for a new fridge, painting a room, etc. With two babies trying to enter everything into an Excel Sheet was just too time consuming.

There are a lot of budget tracking programs (free to expensive - I use QuickBooks Pro for my business accounts). Many will let you have sub-accounts, I haven't kept up with what is available so I'll let others suggest those.

catherine
3-30-12, 9:49am
I like YouNeedABudget (computer program), but you pay for it. After really finding it very convoluted, I figured out a way to simply it--I base all the categories on the "All Your Worth" categories of "Needs" "Wants" and "Savings". I also of course have a "Debt" category as well as a "Taxes" and "Giving" category. But all of my expenses are in one of those 4 categories. In my Savings category I differentiate among long-term, emergency fund, and car replacement fund.

Then I just try to abide by the recommended percentages for each of those major categories (50% needs, 30% Wants, 20% Savings--after 25% Taxes and 10% Giving).

It's SO much easier than having 50 million little categories!

Joyous_5
3-30-12, 7:54pm
Thanks for your responses. Yes, Float On, I do prefer a paper system. It's often hard, like you said, to make it to the computer at just the right time to update a spreadsheet. So, to clarify--you had one savings account but kept separate bank registers? That might work--I'm pretty visual so that might actually be really helpful for me. I could "see" where each of the deposits is going. Thanks for the idea!

Catherine, I appreciate your thoughts, too. I haven't heard of the software you mentioned but will check it out further. It doesn't hurt to have an abundance of choices! 50 million little categories was a past problem, narrowing it down to five is pretty darn good in comparison, but I wonder if I could go lower still . . . hmmmmm, something to consider. Thanks for the tip.

jp1
4-2-12, 12:15am
Personally I've become a fan of Mint. It's a free web based program that also has a smartphone app if you happen to have one. All transactions get downloaded into it and then categorized, which you can manipulate to fit your needs. One of the things I like is that you can subcategorize stuff. For instance, restaurant meals (or some such thing) is one category, but I can then subcategory it with 'vacation' so that I can later seperate out vacation expenses from run of the mill dining out when I was at home. The other thing I like about it is that I don't have to track expenses other then cash. Since I have an iPhone I just put those in when they happen, but if I didn't have one I would just write them down and then input them whenever was convenient. In the past I tried to make quicken work for me but after suffering with it for over a year (long enough to get a handle on where my life energy was going) I gave up on it. Mint, though, is truly effortless for me.

Joyous_5
4-6-12, 9:26pm
Thanks, jp1--I looked at Mint, too. It does look nice and easy to use but I don't have an iphone/pad/anything and I'm not always near the computer. Still, it's something to think about. I type really fast, so maybe it would be more convenient! :)