PDA

View Full Version : Shirley Valentine

happystuff
4-1-12, 8:36am
I remember seeing this on tv many, many, many years ago and have found myself thinking about this movie alot the last couple of months. Finally found a full-version on YouTube and watched it last night. Resonating with me so much of late!

IshbelRobertson
4-1-12, 9:48am
I loved that film!
Tom Conti is one of my favourite actors, and not JUST because he's a Scot.

If you liked that, I wonder if there is a Youtube of Blood Brothers, written by the same writer, Willy Russell? It's well worth watching. I saw it in London's West End twice, many, many years ago with Barbara Dickson as the lead in one version and I think Marti Webb in another. Great show.

pony mom
4-3-12, 12:19am
I love Blood Brothers too. Lucky enough to see it in NYC with Petula Clark (as well as in London).

Willy Russell writes a lot of plays about women finding themselves. What was the movie with Julie Walters and Michael Caine---he's a teacher, she's a hairdresser??

Selah
4-3-12, 1:30am
I loved that movie when it came out, and now I love it even more that I'm the approximate age of Ms. Valentine. I watched it in full about two weeks ago, and her situation is still relevant. Not for me personally, thankfully, but I've seen plenty of women in the same boat.

The movie Pony Mom is referring to is called "Educating Rita." Another classic!