PDA

View Full Version : Can You Refinance Home Under Water?

heydude
4-7-12, 1:24am
I filled out a silly application on my bank's website for a refinancing of my home. It immediately stopped me when I put that the value of the home is less than what I own on it. Will any one give you a refinance loan with a lower interest rate if you are under water? What if you put money down on it or something?

Just curious.
thanks.

fidgiegirl
4-7-12, 9:16am
Well, not sure, but I wonder if what you need to look at is a modification?

I have only heard of one person successfully getting one, tho :(

Lainey
4-7-12, 9:31am
Have you looked at the federal H.A.R.P. program? harpprogram.org I believe it takes applicants who are underwater; don't know the details.

redfox
4-7-12, 2:09pm
I'd suggest looking for an affordable housing organization in your community and calling them. Ask them which area non-profit can advise you about a loan modification. It's possible that your city dept. of housing, if there is one, will know who can advise you on this.

jennipurrr
4-7-12, 5:32pm
There is a HARP thread on Fatwallet. It appears fairly complicated and apparently there was an older thread too, but it looks like a good refi option for people underwater.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1120151/

heydude
4-9-12, 3:12pm
Thanks, it looks like HARP is only for freddie and fannie loans.

redfox
4-9-12, 7:08pm
Don't give up. With the recent settlement by the Feds & 5 major banks, there are adjustments happening. Keep looking till you get a definitive answer! It takes work to get through this process... and it's worth it for many who get lower payments.

jennipurrr
4-10-12, 11:13am

Yes it is...if anyone is wondering if their loan is owned by either there are links in the fw thread that will take you to fannie/freddie websites that will let you put in your address and they will tell you if they own the loan.

Also, if anyone happens to own rental property, I was looking at the FW thread when I was posting it to this thread, and I started poking around in it...you *may* be able to refinance rentals with this deal if they qualify. If it works out this is one of the few options to refinance investment property without a huge amount of equity at favorable terms. I am considering it since rates are decently lower and one of my rentals has a second mortgage with a balloon that I was going to just chalk up and pay, but now may be able to roll into a lower rate loan...something I am going to look into anyway...if I can find the time!

jennipurrr
4-10-12, 11:14am

If your loan isn't owned by either of those two, did you get it through a credit union? They may work with you even if you are underwater.

heydude
4-11-12, 2:00pm
so, you guys made it sound like my loan may be owned by freddie or fannie even though i was pretty sure it wasn't.

i thought my bank owned my loan.

guess what? I FOLLOWED THE LINKS YOU GAVE AND MY LOAN IS OWNED BY FREDDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REFINANCE HERE I COME!

WOW OH WOW, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Float On
4-11-12, 7:15pm
I really need to look into this as well.

jennipurrr
4-12-12, 11:46am
heydude, that is great to hear! I hope it works out for you!!

It is crazy how the banking system is these days...you (general you, me included) think you get a loan and the bank has it and you make payments to them and that's just how it works. But, no the loan is packaged and sold (numerous times) and a lot of times just serviced by the original bank, if that. Its really messed up I think.

heydude
4-13-12, 7:13am
I KNOW Jennipurr,

I mean, I am sitting here with "loyalty" to my bank. Thinking, gee, I'd hate to ever go with a different place. AND here it has already been rung out many times!