PDA

View Full Version : Can weeds and grass eventually be composted?

kally
4-12-12, 8:35pm
I pull so much of this stuff up in the garden and I put it in a bucket. Once it is good and dead can I put it in the compost. There are no seeds showing on the weeds, just dock and buttercup and grass?:confused:

CathyA
4-12-12, 8:41pm
I would put it directly in the compost pile. Piles need the right ratio of brown to green. Just make sure there aren't weed seeds, unless you know how to really heat up your pile and kill them. (I've never mastered that!)

redfox
4-12-12, 9:32pm
If it's an expanse of grass, you could simply sheet mulch it till it turns into compost under the cardboard. No pullng necessary...

iris lily
4-12-12, 10:58pm
Of course weeds and grass can be composted. I'm not really sure of your question.

Like Cathy, my own homemade composting piles don't get very hot, so that's why I am eternally grateful for my city's composting program where I throw all of my yard waste into giant dumpsters, the city picks it up and cooks it (hot hot hot!) and it comes back lovely rich black loamy stuff.

Float On
4-13-12, 7:30am
I throw everything on my compost (except meat), lots of grass and weeds, twigs, straw/hay/pineshavings from the coops, kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, tea bags, a little dirt (if I'm moving something).....eventually it all breaks down even though I'm not good at turning it. I have two compost areas (pallet walled) and I add to one one year while using the other.

CathyA
4-13-12, 7:52am
DH piles up grass in the summer and leaves in the fall in a big wire bin we have in the backyard. We ignored it for about 20 years and it turned into the greatest mulch! hahaha......would like it to ripen a little faster though.

Float On
4-13-12, 8:49am
CathyA, after I mow the leaves, I rake the big chunks into the edge of the woods. I think it only takes about 15 years with this method. :laff:

nswef
4-19-12, 12:13pm
DH piles up grass in the summer and leaves in the fall in a big wire bin we have in the backyard. We ignored it for about 20 years and it turned into the greatest mulch! hahaha......would like it to ripen a little faster though.
You made me laugh, we had one of these huge piles , too, until we got a good mulching mower. Now when I weed I just throw it in the yard and my lovely mower guy just mows up the weeds and trimmings! No more grass piles.