PDA

View Full Version : New job update and other stuff (long post)

frugalone
4-15-12, 9:34pm
Hi, everyone:

I thought I would drop in and post an update on my new job. I have to confess, I'm feeling a bit down right now.

I love the job, that is the first thing I want to say. It's quiet, it's relatively stress-free and it pays a decent wage.

However, since I started, a couple of weird things happened.

First of all, one of my coworkers might be leaving. She applied for a job at the college where I used to work, and is waiting to hear from them. I would be a natural for filling her job, but they put a freeze on hiring very recently. I just heard this from the Dean of the library today. Circulation is considered "essential" and the library is an "essential building" (i.e. we're open during snowstorms) so I am hoping the dean would be able to swing something as to my being hired full time. But he's saying that he's already down 3 people (one quit to move to another state, two are retiring) and he can't replace them.
I feel bitter and angry. I lost my last job on a campus due to "cutbacks." It took me a YEAR+ to get this job...and it's only 17 hours a week. I feel like "Why me, Lord?"

I really, really need a full time job, as well as all the benefits that go with it. And believe me, I've applied for everything from clerical to professional...and nothing happened. If I don't find another job, I am going to have to take more money from my retirement account. And of course I don't want to.

I don't think the co worker got the other job, to be honest. They haven't gotten in touch with her and they were supposed to a week ago.

Anyway...get this:

The woman I mentioned, who might be leaving? Well, her husband works at our local community college, and they were looking to fill a full time reference librarian job.

She said according to her DH, no one even applied for this job who has an MLS. Supposedly this is because the salary is so low? I don't know--I thought the average librarian salary was about $40K. My co worker said in academia, it'd be more like $60K for a reference librarian and that a lot of folks don't want to work in community colleges (especially this particular one, which is sort of at an 8th grade level). BUT the last person they hired, the one who is leaving this position, did not have an MLS either, but they hired her and paid for her to go to Clarion's online program!

I ran this past a few people in my online librarian-wanna-be's group, and they all think that it's crazy. Like, in this economy, who would turn down a $40K job? Especially someone with student loans to pay back.

My DH and my Mom think my co worker is a bit on the wacko side. They said, "Who would go around telling the new employee that they're leaving, when they're not even sure of it themselves?" etc.

I applied, and have heard nothing. I also applied for a part-time/summer only library clerk job in another town, explaining to them that my job is only Sept.-May. Have heard nothing. I did want to get as much library experience as I can in case I go for my MLS.

I am starting to feel depressed and desperate again. How long can this possibly go on? Am I going to end up depleting all my retirement savings? I know, I know: people do it. Sometimes I tell myself, Hey, your dad didn't even LIVE till retirement...so use the money if you need it now. (He died at 50, of cancer; I am going to be 48). OUr poor dean can't even retire because of what's happened to our economy.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Keep looking for a job, I guess. I really don't want to go back into PR because I realize in retrospect how much I hated it and how stressed out I was all the time.

I have people praying for me. I only hope it can help.

iris lily
4-15-12, 11:41pm
Community college librarian jobs are a sweet gig and in this economy I can assure you any job that pays that much will get MLS applicants.

ApatheticNoMore
4-16-12, 2:39am
I'm not clear on this: have you ASKED your boss to go full time? You've got to actually ask for what you want.

lhamo
4-16-12, 5:50am
LIB:

First of all, try to stem the slip back into depression and hopelessness. No, your current situation is not ideal but YOU GOT A JOB! And you are doing well at it, no?

Talk with the Dean about possibilities of you increasing your hours, if not going full time. Even if there is a hiring freeze -- no, make that ESPECIALLY if there is a hiring freeze. They would not be hiring you, they would be expanding your hours. There's a difference, no? Well, I would think a case could be made.

Do some fact checking and if that community college job is still open APPLY FOR IT! What do you have to lose? They hired one person without an MLS already, maybe they would consider you.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that there is no reason to mire yourself in the negative. You are on the upswing, and there is a lot of potential here. Your college is understaffed and you are RIGHT THERE. There are apparently good jobs going unfilled for lack of applicants. I also question whether your coworker is the most reliable source of information, but regardless, you now have some possibilities for getting inside information, and you should do whatever you can to take advantage of those.

And I can't say it enough times. Try to keep focused on the positive and make whatever opportunities you can come out of this new position. You have a chance to prove yourself here -- and you can! One foot in front of the other, onward and upward.

Good luck!

lhamo

iris lily
4-16-12, 7:47am
I'm not clear on this: have you ASKED your boss to go full time? You've got to actually ask for what you want.

Not exactly. It's likely that a "position" has to be available before OP can move into it. Her boss is saying that he doesn't have the authority to create a position, his higher-ups are freezing positions.

razz
4-16-12, 8:15am
LIB:

First of all, try to stem the slip back into depression and hopelessness. No, your current situation is not ideal but YOU GOT A JOB! And you are doing well at it, no?

Talk with the Dean about possibilities of you increasing your hours, if not going full time. Even if there is a hiring freeze -- no, make that ESPECIALLY if there is a hiring freeze. They would not be hiring you, they would be expanding your hours. There's a difference, no? Well, I would think a case could be made.

+1

frugalone
4-16-12, 10:17pm
Community college librarian jobs are a sweet gig and in this economy I can assure you any job that pays that much will get MLS applicants.

Kind of what I figured! :|(

frugalone
4-16-12, 10:18pm

Well, no. And here is why: My coworker told me about her potential job the 2nd week I started. I thought I would "wait and see" since she seemed so darned sure she was getting the job. But I think I will let him know that if something full time comes up, I am interested.

frugalone
4-16-12, 10:20pm
LIB:

Do some fact checking and if that community college job is still open APPLY FOR IT! What do you have to lose? They hired one person without an MLS already, maybe they would consider you.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that there is no reason to mire yourself in the negative. You are on the upswing, and there is a lot of potential here. Your college is understaffed and you are RIGHT THERE. There are apparently good jobs going unfilled for lack of applicants. I also question whether your coworker is the most reliable source of information, but regardless, you now have some possibilities for getting inside information, and you should do whatever you can to take advantage of those.

And I can't say it enough times. Try to keep focused on the positive and make whatever opportunities you can come out of this new position. You have a chance to prove yourself here -- and you can! One foot in front of the other, onward and upward.

Good luck!

lhamo

Yes, I am doing well at the job, so far. You are right--it's expanding hours, not necessarily creating a new position. We are a small staff--and when we lose all 3 (possibly 4) people, we'll be losing approximately 1/4 of it!

I did apply for the community college job, even though it was closed. I sent my letter right to the library director--and have heard nothing at all.

Thank you for your encouragement (not just lhamo, but everyone). It is difficult for me not to get depressed--it seems to be my usual frame of mind for years now--but I'm going to fight it!

lhamo
4-16-12, 11:40pm
LIB, have you read the book "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy?" Classic guide to the cognitive behavioral therapy approach. I first read it at the suggestion of a therapist back in high school. I still pull it out from time to time when I find myself slipping into those negative thinking patterns. Hard to retrain/rewire your brain, but definitely worth the effort. Good luck and keep coming back for support. I've struggled with depression my whole life, and went through a truly horrible period after leaving my previous job a few years ago, but a great new job and some changed personal habits have brought me to a totally new and positive place. FIGHT! It is worth it. YOU are worth it.

lhamo

iris lily
4-17-12, 12:10am

But so, apply anyway, if the job announcement seems open to it. You wouldn't want to miss an opportunity just because of bad advice from an anonymous web chat list.

frugalone
4-18-12, 9:54pm
But so, apply anyway, if the job announcement seems open to it. You wouldn't want to miss an opportunity just because of bad advice from an anonymous web chat list.

I did, and I have not heard anything back. Not even an ackowledgment of my application. :(

frugalone
4-18-12, 9:56pm
LIB, have you read the book "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy?" Classic guide to the cognitive behavioral therapy approach. I first read it at the suggestion of a therapist back in high school. I still pull it out from time to time when I find myself slipping into those negative thinking patterns. Hard to retrain/rewire your brain, but definitely worth the effort. Good luck and keep coming back for support. I've struggled with depression my whole life, and went through a truly horrible period after leaving my previous job a few years ago, but a great new job and some changed personal habits have brought me to a totally new and positive place. FIGHT! It is worth it. YOU are worth it.

lhamo

Yes, I'm very familiar with it. I read it about 30 years ago, then reread it when it was recommended by my (former) therapist. I had about 10 years of CBT/REBT, actually.

Still having a tough time. Trying not to panic. I realize that "borrowing from myself" is not an ideal situation...but at least we are not going to starve/be evicted/etc.

fidgiegirl
4-18-12, 9:56pm
I did, and I have not heard anything back. Not even an ackowledgment of my application. :(

But they sometimes don't . . . don't take that personally . . . chin up . . . keep going . . .

frugalone
4-18-12, 9:59pm
But they sometimes don't . . . don't take that personally . . . chin up . . . keep going . . .

Thanks! Yes, that's true--employers can be very rude in that regard.

BTW, my friend has a cat named Fidgie. It's short for six or seven names, something to do with him being fidgety!

frugalone
4-18-12, 10:01pm
Oh, I forgot to say: I did tell my boss I am interested in either full time or increased hours. His reply was "I'll certainly let you know if that's possible." He didn't mention the hiring freeze, but he didn't say anything really encouraging either. Hmmm...

fidgiegirl
4-18-12, 10:14pm
something to do with him being fidgety!

Yes, so does "fidgiegirl" ;)

The non-committal answer from boss is good. Better than "no!"

ApatheticNoMore
4-19-12, 12:25am
Oh, I forgot to say: I did tell my boss I am interested in either full time or increased hours. His reply was "I'll certainly let you know if that's possible." He didn't mention the hiring freeze, but he didn't say anything really encouraging either. Hmmm...

That's a positive reply, clearly they like you work, even though yea it's not the win you were going for, as in actually getting more hours like now.

leslieann
4-19-12, 9:23am
For what it's worth, which may not be much, my experience in community college hiring was that you HAD to send your docs through Human Resources and then, if you were savvy, you would ALSO send them to the department chair. That would be "in case they were lost" or "in case" someone filtered you out of the pile that would go to the chair due to not having the requisite MLS.

And THEN, the next step would be to phone and leave a brief message with the chair. And if you have insider info as to who is on the review committee, then you drop that person OR the whole committee an email that says, I know you can't communicate with me and I appreciate the integrity of your process, and I really wanted to let you know that I am very interested in XXX position, due to my XXX experience/enthusiasm/whatever. BRIEF!!!

In other words, stop just short of being a pest. But most people don't make that extra effort. In fact, though things may have changed in the current economy, people don't even proofread their cover letters to ensure correct grammar, and then don't tailor their letters to the particular job. I was on hiring committees several times in my tenure at CC and also university, and was astonished at what simple steps people don't take that could make a difference.

Congrats on the good job that you DO have, and the opportunity to move further into the system or other systems. You are in a much stronger place for getting full time work than when you were at home. Good for you! And pull out those CBT skills whenever you need them....I teach this stuff and I need reminders periodically, too.

frugalone
4-24-12, 2:05am
For leslieann: The HR department told me on the phone that they would not accept any further applications online. I suppose I could have sent it snail mail but I didn't. I also followed up with the library director, who is still ignoring me.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be difficult or snarky...but I'm having a VERY hard time seeing how I am in a "stronger place" right now. All told, I will have 8 weeks of part-time library experience when this thing turns into a pumpkin for the summer in mid-May. I have told other librarians I'm looking for a job. No luck there. I keep looking online. No luck there. Nor have I had any luck trying to find a job in my former fields of public relations/journalism/legal assisting.

I have applications in with the civil service, and my friend who works for the state tells me there is hiring freeze there too.

I'm beginning to feel like a dinosaur. I was told "learn to type and you'll never be w/o a job." "Get a college degree and you'll always have a job." I don't know where I'm going to fit in with this economy. It is really, really hard not to despair.

mamalatte
4-24-12, 9:29am
LIB - I apologize if I have missed this in any of your other posts, but have you considered a temp agency? You could pay the bills being a temp receptionist or secretary or similar, while continuing the search for something in the library field . . . Also make connections and possibly find a full-time job through one of the temp positions.

frugalone
4-24-12, 4:50pm
LIB - I apologize if I have missed this in any of your other posts, but have you considered a temp agency? You could pay the bills being a temp receptionist or secretary or similar, while continuing the search for something in the library field . . . Also make connections and possibly find a full-time job through one of the temp positions.

Thank you, mamalatte--I thought I could do this, too. There doesn't seem to be any such thing anymore--a temp secretary or receptionist. All I ever see from temp agencies is "customer service" or "call center" jobs for $8-10 an hour. Nowhere near enough money (neither is the library, for that matter). I don't understand. The world I lived in seems to have vanished.

mamalatte
4-25-12, 7:10pm
Geez, really? I had some good-paying and pleasant jobs through that avenue in my day, but I guess that WAS like 20+ years ago now....

JaneV2.0
4-25-12, 8:21pm
I had zero luck with a temp agency, even with typing and word processing credentials. It's been over ten years since I looked for work and my perspective is that you had better make some contacts. With few exceptions, "It's not what you know, it's who you know" was never truer. The last job I got was a referral from one of my college instructors.

frugalone
4-25-12, 9:14pm
Geez, really? I had some good-paying and pleasant jobs through that avenue in my day, but I guess that WAS like 20+ years ago now....

Same here--did it 20+ years ago.
Sigh.

fidgiegirl
4-25-12, 10:10pm
LIB, not sure if you are looking for job idea advice here. I know you have been looking for a long time, so you are pretty knowledgeable about the possibilities and the realities. That said, one possibility is to work as an education assistant during summer school. At least in my area, there are lots of postings right now as many many many special ed students and other students do summer school. It would be something, and if you enjoyed it it could lead to more work once school started up - again, the "who you know" thing.

frugalone
4-29-12, 9:17pm
Fidgiegirl, I asked a couple of people I know (one in my hometown, the other in our state capitol) and no one seemed to know how to go about finding a job like this, or even if such a thing exists. But I'll try to look into it! :)

fidgiegirl
4-29-12, 10:02pm
Here, this position is known by education assistant, program assistant, teacher's assistant, teacher's aide, and probably more titles than that! I can almost guarantee it exists where you are - special ed requirements are federal requirements, and there are some high needs kiddos out there. If you feel comfortable PMing me your location I might have further suggestions for how to search. If not, no offense taken.

jennipurrr
4-30-12, 12:44pm
Here, this position is known by education assistant, program assistant, teacher's assistant, teacher's aide, and probably more titles than that! I can almost guarantee it exists where you are - special ed requirements are federal requirements, and there are some high needs kiddos out there. If you feel comfortable PMing me your location I might have further suggestions for how to search. If not, no offense taken.

In my area these positions are usually advertised on the local Board of Education site, just FYI

frugalone
4-30-12, 10:10pm
Well, I looked into it, and there are no openings. I'm not surprised--this is a rather depressed area, and most education jobs are filled through crony-ism.

You know, people just don't know what to say to me anymore. And what would I tell someone who's been out of work 3 years, myself? "hang in there, something will come up, etc." It's just so frustrating when you keep trying every angle you can think of, and nothing seems to lead anywhere. I do not believe the media when they keep telling us things are getting better. There's no real evidence of it--at least not here in my town. We were one of the states that had such high unemployment that they had to keep extending UC benefits.

Now they're putting restrictions on food stamps. You're only allowed to have so much money in the bank. IN other words, I can have a retirement fund and I can draw from it, but only in small increments, which I believe will lead to problems with owing taxes. I don't mean to continually b*tch but honestly? Wherever I turn I find a brick wall.

And if I say anything to my mom about it? She says, "It's all Obama's fault for bailing out the banks." Yeah, right.

ApatheticNoMore
5-1-12, 1:18am
Oh I tried to avoid the news when unemployed or at any rate the *ECONOMIC* news (non-economic news might be ok - plenty depressing also but not personal). Because I just knew in my gut (well and even in official unemployment stats that got through)) that things weren't good. But I really didn't want to read gloom and doom in the business section every day. Although I'm not sure one can avoid it for 3 years.

JaneV2.0
5-1-12, 10:06am

And if I say anything to my mom about it? She says, "It's all Obama's fault for bailing out the banks." Yeah, right.

You might want to point out the bank bailout was rushed through Congress by President Bush, late in his second term. Let's give credit where credit is due. Pun intended.

frugalone
5-1-12, 10:30pm
I have tried to tell her that but she just hates Obama and won't listen. It's embarrassing.

You might want to point out the bank bailout was rushed through Congress by President Bush, late in his second term. Let's give credit where credit is due. Pun intended.

frugalone
5-1-12, 10:30pm
We stopped our newspaper subscription recently and don't really watch or listen to the news. But it does pop up online every now and then, much as I'd like to avoid it!

Oh I tried to avoid the news when unemployed or at any rate the *ECONOMIC* news (non-economic news might be ok - plenty depressing also but not personal). Because I just knew in my gut (well and even in official unemployment stats that got through)) that things weren't good. But I really didn't want to read gloom and doom in the business section every day. Although I'm not sure one can avoid it for 3 years.

dmc
5-2-12, 7:13am

And the democrats were in the majority in Congress. They could have stopped it if they wanted to.

Gardenarian
5-2-12, 4:41pm
Hi LIB -

I can sympathize with your position. I am a reference librarian at a community college and we also have a hiring freeze. We had a really hard time when our circulation supervisor took early retirement; it was 2 years before we were able to get a replacement for her position. We all had to take on extra duties due to the cuts. Our open hours have also been reduced. I am part-time by choice (though I sure would love those benefits.)

Despite the hiring freeze, some people (including me) have had their hours increased. Being part-time can sometimes be a good thing during hard times - it is so much cheaper to give a current employee a few more hours than to hire someone new! At my college, the library director basically has to go begging to the dean and the college president for staff increases - it is slow, but increases do happen (and when you get an increase in hours, it is usually permanent.)

You should be able to apply for and receive unemployment for the summer months. (At least, in California you can.) Many of our adjunct faculty do this not only for the summer break but for the winter break as well (we are closed one month December-January.)

The full-time librarians here earn 70-100K for a 10 month position. (This is in San Francisco - it's very expensive to live around here.) We would never consider a librarian without an MLS. There are virtually no openings in the libraries around here. When there is an opening, there are often more than 100 applicants. It's a tough market right now. It has really changed - when I got my MLS (almost 30 years ago :0!) everyone thought it was an odd career choice. I think the increased interest in libraries and librarianship can only be a good thing, but it sure makes it hard when looking for a job.

I wish I had some advice to give you about work, but I can only offer my best wishes and blessings for you.

Lainey
5-2-12, 11:28pm
And the democrats were in the majority in Congress. They could have stopped it if they wanted to.

never had a veto-proof majority

dmc
5-3-12, 7:49am
never had a veto-proof majority

Didn't it have to pass through congress first? It seams that the Senate is having no problem these days holding things up with their Democratic majority there. They had both houses from 2008 to 2010.

mtnlaurel
5-3-12, 8:03am
LIB ... Here's a thought
Are you politically inclined in any way?
Maybe throwing yourself into one of the campaigns local headquarters might be a good way to connect with people and show off your marketing skills?

I know you are on a news fast right now, but it might be a way to tangibly and meaningfully make the most of the one thing you have at your fingertips -- time.
The killer of extended unemployment is the emotional toll I think. It's hard to keep your MoJo sharp under cruddy circumstances.

You do have one thing that many people are envious of -- Time.
But it is SOOOOOO hard to see that as an advantage when you are sweating your finances!

frugalone
5-30-12, 2:46am
I don't qualify for unemployment benefits. I only worked there from March 20 to May 7 for 17 hours a week. I can't collect because I am a 99er and I ran out of benefits a year ago. My hours won't start up again until August.

I just found out the "hiring freeze" is relative. They're trying to fill one of the MLS positions. This is after the dean told me I was "probably the last person to be hired on campus." Why do I feel like people in institutions are always lying?

Hi LIB -

I can sympathize with your position. I am a reference librarian at a community college and we also have a hiring freeze. We had a really hard time when our circulation supervisor took early retirement; it was 2 years before we were able to get a replacement for her position. We all had to take on extra duties due to the cuts. Our open hours have also been reduced. I am part-time by choice (though I sure would love those benefits.)

Despite the hiring freeze, some people (including me) have had their hours increased. Being part-time can sometimes be a good thing during hard times - it is so much cheaper to give a current employee a few more hours than to hire someone new! At my college, the library director basically has to go begging to the dean and the college president for staff increases - it is slow, but increases do happen (and when you get an increase in hours, it is usually permanent.)

You should be able to apply for and receive unemployment for the summer months. (At least, in California you can.) Many of our adjunct faculty do this not only for the summer break but for the winter break as well (we are closed one month December-January.)

The full-time librarians here earn 70-100K for a 10 month position. (This is in San Francisco - it's very expensive to live around here.) We would never consider a librarian without an MLS. There are virtually no openings in the libraries around here. When there is an opening, there are often more than 100 applicants. It's a tough market right now. It has really changed - when I got my MLS (almost 30 years ago :0!) everyone thought it was an odd career choice. I think the increased interest in libraries and librarianship can only be a good thing, but it sure makes it hard when looking for a job.

I wish I had some advice to give you about work, but I can only offer my best wishes and blessings for you.

frugalone
5-30-12, 2:50am
I decided to delete this overwhelmingly negative post.

I've started volunteering at a local library one afternoon a week. Whether or not this will lead to anything, it is too early to say.

No other news to report, job wise. Just that whenever I think I SHOULD apply for some sort of marketing/PR job, everything inside me screams "NO!"

I wonder if that is a sign I should heed.