PDA

View Full Version : Bedding

Lainey
4-23-12, 10:09pm
Hoping this is the appropriate forum, but would like to discuss bedding choices.

I'm talking about bed coverings, not mattresses. I used to be a blanket person, then moved to quilts, and now have a wonderfully light comforter with a nylon/polyester shiny finish. Love the look and feel of it, but it slips and slides during the night so that by morning it's a tangled mess. Question: any way to prevent this - do I have to sew weights in the corners?

razz
4-23-12, 10:32pm
Is there a way to tuck the comforter under the mattress at the foot of the bed?

Float On
4-23-12, 10:37pm
Is there a way to tuck the comforter under the mattress at the foot of the bed?

That wouldn't work for me....I like to keep one leg out. >8)

I've made duvets for comforters before out of two sheets and actually added a few stitches to corners to hold the comforter to the 4 corners (something that was easy to undo/re-do when I wanted to put them through the wash.

Lainey
4-23-12, 10:51pm
Duvet cover might be the answer.

but FloatOn, you made me laugh about keeping one leg out. My co-worker's wife does that, and he calls it her "temperature probe"! ha

redfox
4-23-12, 11:09pm
I love all natural fibers, and recommend a cotton duvet cover. I find nice ones at Goodwill all the time.

Rosemary
4-24-12, 8:22am
If the coverlet is one-sided, you could sew some non-slippery fabric strips on the underside of it. Or sew a whole sheet to it. Or pin a sheet to it.

Float On
4-24-12, 8:51am

but FloatOn, you made me laugh about keeping one leg out. My co-worker's wife does that, and he calls it her "temperature probe"! ha
I've always called it my "temperature control". lol

Float On
4-24-12, 8:56am
Speaking of comforters. A few years ago Target had those super nice down comforters on clearance for $12. It's light weight, doesn't slip, isn't hot or too cool. It's perfect. I wish I'd bought 6 of them. I haven't seen them below $45/$60 since. A sheet, that, and my 1930's shirt factory quilt coverlet are all I need.

Spartana
4-24-12, 7:35pm

I call it bait for the under-the-bed-monster ;-)!

I just use a top and bottom sheet and a bedspread (which are hard to find nowadays). Since the bedspread is lightweight compared to a comforter, as well as bigger/longer compared to comforters, coverlets, or blankets, I can cover or hang out whatever body part I want and never get tangled up. In the winter if it gets cold enough (rarely in SoCal) I'll use a thin fleece blanket (or 2) between the top sheet and bedspread.

Lainey
4-26-12, 12:13am
I love all natural fibers, and recommend a cotton duvet cover. I find nice ones at Goodwill all the time.

I'll check the thrift stores this weekend. Thanks everyone for the tips.