PDA

View Full Version : The Minimalist - Mark Bittman

redfox
1-26-11, 9:41pm
My fav cooking column/vid is ending! Darn it all. If you've not seen his vids, they are fun, and awesome recipes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/dining/26mini.html?src=me&ref=style

kally
1-27-11, 2:15am
i love this guy.

Perplexa
1-27-11, 10:23am
Ack, too bad. Fortunately for me, I never even knew about the column. On the other hand, if I had to pick just one cookbook to keep, it would be Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian." It is my go to book for basically all recipe needs.

lhamo
1-27-11, 5:21pm
Waah! I will miss his column. I have tons of his recipes printed out, and finally just bought "How to Cook Everything" for myself as a Christmas present, so I guess that will keep me busy. He will still be doing recipes in the Magazine, and I am pleased to see that he will be continuing to advocate for healthy, sustainable food policy and practice. My own food habits have been influenced incredibly by him and the great cohort of "know your farmer, know your food" type writers who tend to show up frequently in the NYT. But I will still miss the column...

lhamo

treehugger
1-27-11, 5:52pm
I admit I've never read his column, but I have been a huge fan of HTCE for years (in fact, last year I used an Amazon gift card to buy the reissued hardback to replace the falling apart softcover). It's absolutely my go-to recipe book, always my first stop. Only very occasionally do I come up empty when I look through the book asking myself, "What does Mark Bittman say about..."

Anyway, I will look for archived columns online, so thanks!

Gina
1-27-11, 6:10pm
I was unfamiliar with him so looked on YouTube. There are a good number of Mark Bittman videos there. He seems quite practical. :)

frugalista
1-31-11, 5:13pm
Love Mark Bittman!! Have "How to Cook Everything." He does have a blog on Runner's Magazine website (he is a long distance runner).

Rosemary
1-31-11, 5:45pm
+1 HTCEV
Have been reading his Food Matters Cookbook as well. Enjoy the new, lighter style he has developed.
He cooks much the same way I do and I appreciate the minimalist style.

gimmethesimplelife
1-31-11, 10:13pm
I have a copy of How to Cook Everything and keep swearing I'll make the hummus.....I need to call mysel on it and follow through! It sounds really really really good. Rob of the North Rim once more

puglogic
1-31-11, 10:48pm
Make the hummus. Seriously, Rob, maaaake the hummmmusssss :) With lots of lemon. And good-quality tahini.

I've been a Mark Bittman fan for years and have both HTCE books, which are dog-eared, annotated, and well-loved.

gimmethesimplelife
2-1-11, 12:40am
Make the hummus. Seriously, Rob, maaaake the hummmmusssss :) With lots of lemon. And good-quality tahini.

I've been a Mark Bittman fan for years and have both HTCE books, which are dog-eared, annotated, and well-loved.OK I consider myself motivated......Will do!!! Rob

Anne Lee
2-1-11, 9:14am
I make his lentils and brown rice recipe as part of my "daytime vegan/vegetarian" practice. So Sunday night I made up a batch, blending in roasted red peppers and green chilies. My middle son made all kinds of smart alecky remarks. On Monday, I get home from work and he told me how much he liked that "bean dish". I only gave him a little grief about eating vegan.

This is a dish that everyone in my family enjoys, even the hard core carnivores.