PDA

View Full Version : "The Way"

CathyA
5-27-12, 4:26pm
Have any of you seen it? It was written and directed by Emilio Estevez and his dad, Ramon Estevez (Martin Sheen). I thought it was good, even though it didn't unfold like I'd hoped.
Any thoughts?

razz
5-27-12, 7:27pm
I was hoping to see it but I never saw any promotions to let me know when it was showing at a theatre. The photography of the pilgrimage pathway is supposed to be wonderful.
Let me know what you discover.

Bronxboy
5-27-12, 8:34pm
Have any of you seen it? It was written and directed by Emilio Estevez and his dad, Ramon Estevez (Martin Sheen). I thought it was good, even though it didn't unfold like I'd hoped.
Any thoughts?
My wife and I saw and liked it. Of course, as a hiker, I was probably predisposed to like it:laff:.

happystuff
5-28-12, 7:21am
I've seen clips and part of a "the-making-of". Looks pretty good and I would like to see it sometime.

CathyA
5-28-12, 9:13am
Spoiler alert *******************************

I was hoping that they would have more interaction between the son and the father throughout the movie. I think the previews gave the impression that this would happen, but it didn't.
It would have been nice to think they worked a few things out, if only in thoughts. I did like the sound, the photography, and the other characters. The occasional humor was fun. DH had hoped that they would
have showed what Martin Sheen's character was really feeling. But I'm thinking that's just who he was.........not showing or even acknowledging his feelings about lots of things. I really liked the character who went on this trek to lose weight.........and he just kept eating and eating. He had a good heart. The other 2 were great characters too. Everybody had their own issues to work out.

I really like Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez. They sure are different from Charlie Sheen! They seem like very gentle people.
This movie was at the local Heartland Film festival. Martin and Emilio were there and also were at Indiana University, where they spoke. I didn't get to see them though.
The movie my son did post production and sound for was also in the Heartland Film Festival (Nathan and the Luthier). It was no where near the level of "The Way", but it was neat that it was also chosen to be
in the Festival.

Bronxboy
5-28-12, 3:16pm
Spoiler alert *******************************

I really liked the character who went on this trek to lose weight.........and he just kept eating and eating. He had a good heart. The other 2 were great characters too. Everybody had their own issues to work out.
Either in the bonus stuff on the DVD or in a review, I heard the analogy made between the three supporting characters and the Cowardly Lion, Tin Man, and Scarecrow of the Wizard of Oz!

Meeting Jack for the first time on the pile of hay bales certainly supports that!

Lainey
5-28-12, 8:28pm
Yes, saw it and loved it. Also read Shirley MacLaine's book of her journey on the El Camino:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=el+camino+by+shirley+maclaine

gail_d
5-28-12, 11:21pm
Saw it in the theater late last year; it didn't have much distribution. Loved it. I've since bought several books on hiking the Camino.

It is streaming on Netflix right now. We really enjoyed it.