PDA

View Full Version : Where to get the metal filings that go inside a strawberry in a pincushion?

profnot
6-3-12, 6:34pm
In a pincushion that comes with a strawberry, the best strawberries are filled with fine metal fillings that sharpen the needles you place in the strawberry. (Sand and/or wool is used in the tomato for sharpness and for coating the pin for ease to get through fabric.)

I think the metal filings are called emery.

Do you know where I can buy small amounts of emery - like a pound or two at a time?

My town has lots of fibre artists and I would like to make artsy pincushions to sell at the local art & crafts galleries.

Thanks for your help!
profnot

sweetana3
6-3-12, 6:42pm
Emery is expensive and heavy. I googled "emery powder" and found sources off ebay and wholesale. It is hard to find locally.

It really is not necessary for "artsy" pincushions. I like crushed walnut shells from the pet supply store (bird area). Good heft and feel.

Float On
6-3-12, 7:51pm
I've walked into the stores where they make keys and asked for the key shavings - they were glad to hand me a bag with no charge (they did look at me kind of strange). We just wanted to see what the reaction would be in making paperweights.

Mrs-M
6-3-12, 8:30pm
ETSY. (http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=supplies&search_query=emery+sand)

I have a total fetish for pincushions!

Mrs-M
6-3-12, 8:42pm
The part I love best about Emery-filled pincushions (aside from it's self-sharpening qualities), when you draw a pin from the cushion, the cushion stays put!

fidgiegirl
6-3-12, 10:26pm
Schools use science supply websites like Carolina or Flynn. I wonder if you could find some from them.

Good luck!

JaneV2.0
6-4-12, 9:22am
Good find, Mrs. M--I have a fetish for Etsy, personally!

Mrs-M
6-4-12, 12:35pm
Count me in, too, Jane! :) I visit ETSY, often, to dream and drool.