PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a computer problem please..........

CathyA
6-4-12, 10:21am
I spend some time on another gardening forum. I've been on it for many years, and have always used the same user name and password. Several days ago, all of a sudden when I would try to log on, it wouldn't accept it. I've tried just about everything.......cleaning out the computer, removing history and cookies, restarting the computer, etc., etc., and it still won't let me in. I've written to them and haven't heard back. It appears as though other people have been posting the past couple of days, so its working okay for them. I can't even get on to find out what the problem might be. I can read all the posts, but I can't respond to them.

I've thought of re-registering in order to get on, but I don't want to lose my old username.

DH upgraded our plug-in internet connection last week, and we've had lots of problems just getting onto the internet, but I don't think that problem is related.

Any ideas what might be going on? Any suggestions about what I might do on my end, if there's a problem here?
Thanks for your help.

herbgeek
6-4-12, 10:47am
I'm not sure what the problem actually is, but here's something easy to try. Use another brand of browser to access the site. I find that some sites that don't work well under Chrome, but they will work under Firefox and vice versa. The fact you're able to see posts, but not respond, makes me think there is something incompatible (like there is an element that is not rendering correctly). Even if that doesn't work, that is useful information for troubleshooting on their side.

The other piece of information that would be useful is what is the exact message that appears when you attempt to log on.

Alan
6-4-12, 10:54am
Have you been active (posting) on the forum over the past year or so? Sometimes forum administrators will disable in-active accounts.
If that is the case, you'll need them to re-activate you.

CathyA
6-4-12, 1:02pm
Thanks herbgeek and Alan,

Yes, I've tried to log on with 3 different browers.

On that site, if you want to post a message or reply to one, the sign comes up "You must be logged on to post". So I try to log on, and the same message keeps coming on.

I've posted alot in the past year, and especially this spring.
I've tried to re-register with my username, and it says "that username is already taken", so I know I'm in their system.
Maybe its happening to other people there too, and like me, they can't even post to say that can't post! haha
I'll probably eventually figure it out, but its very frustrating for now!
Thanks for your suggestions.

freein05
6-4-12, 1:52pm
Some sites set cookies to you. So when you cleared your cookies this may have caused your problem.

CathyA
6-4-12, 2:09pm
But I didn't clear the cookies, until after I couldn't log-on.

Alan
6-4-12, 2:41pm
Cookies aren't the problem. They only save information to keep you from having to login every time and would have no effect on a manual login.

The issue is almost certainly linked to your account. A bad username or password, or a restriction placed on the account. It could even be a restriction on the specific IP address or range of IP addresses that your internet service provider issues your internet account. Do you get any type of error message when you attempt to login?

Mrs-M
6-4-12, 2:50pm
Alan. Could a possible problem be, that when CathyA's, husband, upgraded the plug-in applications, it altered the allow/disallow feature related to cookies?

I ran into problems when I was trying to sign-up/login to this new home, and sure enough, the main cookie, associated with providing a member access to the SLF site, was disallowed. I had no idea what was wrong, and it wasn't until I had a good friend of my husbands come over and rectify the issue, that I could gain access.

Alan
6-4-12, 2:56pm
I wouldn't think so. It hasn't affected her ability to login to this forum.

When she says "upgraded our plugin internet connection", I take that to mean a router or modem of some kind which would have no effect on specific websites. If you can get to a website, the router/modem is working fine. If you lose your login over and over again, it's probably a cookie issue. If you can't login at all, it's almost certainly an account issue.

CathyA
6-4-12, 8:12pm
Well, we've tried everything but standing on our heads! Still a no-go. A tech from the site wrote back and said to try to decrease the security and make sure I haven't blocked any cookies.
We took the cookies out, we put the cookies in, we decreased our security, we stopped Norton for a bit, etc., etc..........and I still couldn't log in.
So I'm going to write the tech back that I really think its on their end. I've changed my password there, thinking that somehow was causing a problem, but it didn't make a difference. And I have no trouble getting on other sites, so I really think its a problem on their end.

Alan.......no, no error code. It just always kick me back to the log-in box. I will bring up the possible IP restriction thing you mentioned.
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'll let you know what happens.

CathyA
6-5-12, 7:27am
How in the world did this get on the personals forum??? lol! I thought I posted it on the Open Forum. Maybe it would get more hits if it were moved? Alan......can you do that?
I've talked with the tech again and she said she reset the account and told me the password to use, but alas.......I still can't get in. That site is a major source of info for me.......chickens/gardening/plumbing/cooking/HVAC/home repairs, etc. So I wish I could get in!
If I changed my username, would that help? DH and my computer expert DS worked on it quite awhile last night, but to no avail.

Alan
6-5-12, 7:33am
Cathy, the thread has been moved per your request.

CathyA
6-5-12, 7:34am
Thanks Alan! Just didn't seem quite right, to be on the personals forums. haha ........."Looking for someone who enjoys long walks on the beach in the moonlight and drinking wine by a roaring fire......and is a super computer geek to help me fix various problems." haha

CathyA
6-5-12, 12:48pm
I had my DH try to log on at his work, and he did! So it appears to be something on my end. But I haven't a clue what it is.

CathyA
6-11-12, 12:50pm
This is so frustrating. We've continued to try everything. DH knows alot more about computers than I do, so he's been working on it, without success. It definitely seems to have something to do with our computer and Gardenweb's security certificate. Dang. I miss that site! It has every forum you could ever need........from food preserving to watergardening to plumbing, to greenhouses and just about any topic you could imagine. You guys are going to have to learn alot, if I can't ever get on that site again. hahaha
I guess if we can't figure this out, I'll use DH's laptop to access the site. But it won't be very convenient.

awakenedsoul
6-11-12, 5:47pm
CathyA,

I'm am very limited in my computer knowlege. But, I've had problems logging on before and it was due to silly errors on my part...The fact that you posted this thread accidentally in the personals forum made me take notice. Sometimes we don't realize when we are making the same mistake over and over. That's what happened to me. When I was trying to log in here, I was sure my username was yogastef, but it wasn't. So I was locked out for a year. Then, at another forum I visit every day, I couldn't log in or participate. I had accidentally logged off, (which I never do.) I was typing in my username into the password box! I was so frustrated and missed that site so much! Maybe you're doing something over and over like this (?) It happens a lot to women who are perimenopausal. But, you sound very knowledgeable with computers...hope you figure it out. I love Gardenweb, too!

CathyA
6-12-12, 9:30pm
Thanks awakenedsoul,
We're hopefully getting closer to the problem. DH used our plug-in internet whatchamacallit on his laptop and he couldn't get in either. But he could get in on his computer at work, which has a different IP address.
So....tomorrow he's taking his laptop to try out at work. If he can get in there, then the problem is probably with the IP. Hopefully we can figure this out soon. I really miss gardenweb and all the questions I have about various things!
Alan.........you may be right about the IP address! Hopefully we'll figure it out soon.

awakenedsoul
6-13-12, 5:47pm
What a nice husband. It sounds like you are almost there. Perseverance pays off!