PDA

View Full Version : National Theater Live broadcasts, anybody?

pony mom
6-4-12, 9:35pm
Has anyone gone to the English Nat'l Theater showings in a local movie theater yet? I'm hoping to see Frankinstein on June 6 (with hunky Benedict Cumberbatch, TV's Sherlock Holmes) in PA. This is actually a rebroadcast of a live filming from last year, which I didn't get a chance to see.

These are shown in digital format, which is a huge improvement from a regular film. And more movie theaters are involved than last year, when I only had one place close to me in PA to choose from.

http://www.fathomevents.com/PerformingArts/event/NTLiveFrankenstein.aspx

I think they'll be offering a play starring Julie Walters in the near future.

razz
6-5-12, 7:27am
OK, we will try a second version of a response. The first version froze solid and would not post.
I love HD transmissions and saw Christopher Plummer in Barrymore in May which was wonderful. The choice offered by HD in movie theatres is amazing with the Metopera and the Bolshoir Ballet as well as National Theatre. Trying to fit in all these with the theatre productions in our area like Shaw and Stratford Festivals plus Mirvish Theatres in Toronto plus local productions makes life very busy. Glad to hear that you are going to them. Let me know what you think of Frankistein please.

pony mom
6-9-12, 9:19pm
Frankenstein was fantastic!!! Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller switched roles at alternate performances, and I was lucky to see Benedict as the Creature. He was amazing. Very physical role--I can see why they both won Olivier awards.

The movie was crystal clear and the sound was perfect; almost as good as seeing it live. Johnny Lee Miller was sweating so much you could see it running down the back of his head----that's how clear it was. The theater's seats were comfy leather and roomy. Not a large crowd, but I didn't expect one. I'm looking forward to seeing other shows there.

That entire day I was looking forward to seeing the show so much, as if I was actually going to see the actual live show, and not a movie. The next one is The Tempest, with Christopher Plummer. Unfortunately most of the shows play on Thursday evenings, when I'm working late.

razz
6-10-12, 6:48am
The Tempest is wonderful with Christopher Plummer so try and see it if possible!

Tiam
6-18-12, 1:58am
Has anyone gone to the English Nat'l Theater showings in a local movie theater yet? I'm hoping to see Frankinstein on June 6 (with hunky Benedict Cumberbatch, TV's Sherlock Holmes) in PA. This is actually a rebroadcast of a live filming from last year, which I didn't get a chance to see.

These are shown in digital format, which is a huge improvement from a regular film. And more movie theaters are involved than last year, when I only had one place close to me in PA to choose from.

http://www.fathomevents.com/PerformingArts/event/NTLiveFrankenstein.aspx

I think they'll be offering a play starring Julie Walters in the near future.

I also went to see Frankenstein. It was good. I am still trying to figure out if it was worth the 15 dollars I paid, though. There was nothing wrong with it, but not sure if it captures the live performance.
If there is another one that catches my eye, I will give it another chance.