PDA

View Full Version : Simple hints to make life easier

razz
6-5-12, 7:31pm
We haven't had one of these threads for a while and a friend told me a solution for those sticky labels that seem impossible to remove from glass or plastic items.

Hint: let olive oil soak in and the label will be easy to remove (scrape off) along with the glue.
Any more?

Mrs-M
6-5-12, 7:40pm
Darn it all anyway, Razz... you stole the one I was going to use! :)

Will revisit again.

Mrs-M
6-5-12, 7:48pm
I know this one has long been a standard on the forum, but I'm going to bring it up anyway.

Rubberband around lid of bottle/jar to help aid in spinning top off.

Orange peels in baby's diaper pail to help control odour.

Mrs-M
6-5-12, 7:50pm
Safety pins, safety pins, safety pins! Fix-it, mend-it, hem-it, tack-it!

Mrs-M
6-5-12, 7:53pm
A few drops of vanilla, a handful of cloves, a few sticks of cinnamon, divine potpourri!

Mrs-M
6-5-12, 8:10pm
To prevent washables from getting caught under clothesline pulley's, clip one pin to the line before starting, and another pin when done. If the clothes on the line catch a breeze/wind and want to sail, dragging the line to-and-fro, the safety-clothespins at each end of the line will prevent any ride-up (under/into pulley's)!

Mrs-M
6-5-12, 8:18pm
Frugal (and best) ear-wax removal remedy. A few drops of warmed olive oil into ears before bed. Plug ears with cotton balls.

Mrs-M
6-5-12, 8:26pm
Don't have a baby changing table? Tired of straining your back bending over changing baby in crib? Use the bathroom counter. A towel/waterproof changing pad to line the counter-top, perfect height, sink/toilet (arms-length away).

Blackdog Lin
6-5-12, 8:51pm
Clothespins. I use the wooden ones w/springs. It's very affordable to keep a bag of fifty setting around for:

- hanging up my shorts and slacks wrinkle-free in the closet.
- clipping my bras for air-drying on the back porch.
- closing up potato chip and similar bags from the elements.
- closing up partially-used bags of frozen veggies in the freezer.
- closing up the loaf of bread (much easier to use than those twist-ties).
- as a "note holder". At my workplace, we have to communicate with notes and returned-paperwork all the time, and said notes and other paperwork were always either blowing away or otherwise getting lost in the shuffle. I instituted the clothespin system, wherein all communication for each "desk" (we have work tables) gets clipped on a clothespin. It's easy for every employee every morning to see and grab the clothespin with it's attachments and go through all the info/returned-paperwork/notes that they need to assimilate and memorize. Low-tech, but it's been working exceedingly well for over 10 years.
- quick desk organizers. At this moment in time, I have two current clothespins going, one with recipes I've collected/copied, and one with bills that need paid. The categories and their importance change, but having the clothespin with attachments lying there tells me it's something I need to address. An easy deal-with-it-later (or you need to deal with it now!) organizer.
- and if I HAD THE CLOTHESLINE I WANT, I'D USE THEM FOR AIR-DRYING CLOTHES. (sorry, DH is not cooperating with my idea of "how can we put up a clothesline for little-to-no-money invested in it?") I'm peeved.

I know I use them for more situations, just can't think of 'em now.....

Tussiemussies
6-5-12, 10:06pm
Institute once a month cookin and baking.

Make your own homemade iced tea daily;when going in the car fill plastic drinking glasses instead of buying drinks on the road when thirsty. Bring along personal sized snack packages for children along with sandwiches if it is a long ride.

Use timers for shutting off lights in the house you might forget to shut off on a regular basis. Put them on rotating times for different lights in the house when going away on vacation. They work well on the Christmas tree instead of trying to somehow grab the cord.

Open all kichen cabinet doors and drawers when unloading the dishwasher, close when finished. I read this somewhere and do it partially.

When you are done with your laundry detergent add some water and use it to clean kitchen counters, bathroom sink, toilet etc. cleans very well. Just don't add too much water!

Put liquid starch in the rinse cycle of you washer, your clothes will have a nice result when ironing. It works really well if you hang your clothes out to dry.

Saw on Facebook a woman takes the rinds of three oranges and outs them in a large ball jar with vinegar for three days. Then she uses as a cleaner.

There is a lot of good frugal and sustainable tips on Facebook if anyone cares to join me there I am Christine Wood.

Tussiemussies
6-5-12, 10:07pm
Oh we have also used motion sensored lights in hallways...works really well.

Jemima
6-5-12, 10:29pm
Throw away any recipes that have more than eight common ingredients or that say things like "beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks", unless you really enjoy doing these sorts of things. Also pitch the recipes that call for an ingredient that requires a special trip to an out-of-the-way store. Me, I can live without chipotle peppers, rice wine vinegar, and quite a lot of other exotica.

Buy carpeting and upholstery that match your cat or dog.

If the kitchen smells pretty bad from, say, cooking up a mess of collard greens or cabbage, follow up with a sprinkle of cinnamon on the stove burners, turned on low heat.

Selah
6-6-12, 6:07am
Keep everyone's keys on a wall-mounted rack just inside the front door. Keep everyone's cellphone chargers in one place, running off one power strip.

Merski
6-6-12, 6:41am
I read this somewhere on this forum so the tip is just being passed on. To keep your home tidier everyone should vow to "don't put it down-put it away" for two or three weeks until it becomes a new good habit.

Mrs-M
6-6-12, 10:32am
Great thread! More, please! :)

Sissy
6-6-12, 2:01pm
Got this one from Pinterest. Mix a 1:1 ratio of Blue Dawn dish detergent with warm white vinegar to clean gunky bath tubs. I tried it with Seventh Generation and it did not work well at all. But my DD made up her own correctly and I could not believe my eyes when she cleaned my tub. BTW, it is an old fiberglass tub that we had resurfaced and it did not hurt the surface. Got the lime off the faucets, also. Magic, I tell ya.

Mrs-M
6-6-12, 2:05pm
Nifty, nifty, nifty! These sorts of threads are my favourite!

Mrs-M
6-6-12, 2:41pm
Sliced bread stays most fresh if the end-crust is kept to plug the end of the loaf.

Before freezing bought bread, let loaf(s) sit on counter for several hours to allow them to regain their shape. This will help ensure flat and straight shaped bread that fits nicely into toaster!

Mighty Frugal
6-6-12, 3:59pm
Before I throw a towel into the laundry I do a 'quick clean up' and use it to quickly wipe down the sink, tub, toilet, floor (in that order) it is usually slightly damp from drying me off so it really does a good job making everything sparkly clean-and it was going into the laundry anyway!

Mighty Frugal
6-6-12, 4:01pm
Oh, first thing I do when I get home from work is prep the kids' lunches the next day-lay out their lunch bags, put in a drink, put in a snack for my older son. I also make the salad I will take to work the next day and pour the dressing in a container and put in the fridge. It only takes about 6 minutes but saves me so much more time in the morning when there are so many others things to do and I am still half asleep

Mrs-M
6-7-12, 6:00pm
Before I throw a towel into the laundry I do a 'quick clean up' and use it to quickly wipe down the sink, tub, toilet, floor (in that order) it is usually slightly damp from drying me off so it really does a good job making everything sparkly clean-and it was going into the laundry anyway!Cheater! ROTFLMAO! :laff:

Mrs-M
6-7-12, 6:03pm
Don't have an egg-poacher, but want poached eggs? No worries... add a dash of regular white vinegar to a pot of water, bring to a medium bubble/boil, crack eggs into water, and viola! Poached eggs! The vinegar/water combination helps maintain a round- poached egg like shape.

domestic goddess
6-7-12, 6:51pm
Honestly, the orange peels in vinegar makes a very good de-greaser.

Mrs-M
6-7-12, 8:42pm
Lovin' this!

Ever found yourself behind the eight-ball, labouring to keep up (domestically), and now you have an electric tumble dryer full of wrinkled clothes? Toss in a damp towel with wrinkled load (for a few minutes), wrinkles gone!

Sissy
6-8-12, 11:28am
Before I throw a towel into the laundry I do a 'quick clean up' and use it to quickly wipe down the sink, tub, toilet, floor (in that order) it is usually slightly damp from drying me off so it really does a good job making everything sparkly clean-and it was going into the laundry anyway!

I try to change the hand towels out everyday, so I do the same thing, except for the toilet. It keeps things under control until you can give it a good scrubbing.

razz
6-8-12, 12:45pm
Lately, I have been making salads that use mayonnaise with only half mayo and half low or no-fat sour cream. It tastes so much better and much less heavy.

mtnlaurel
6-10-12, 8:05am
I am making waffles this morning on what used to be my grandmother's waffle iron.
I make them just often enough to completely forget the idiosyncrasies of the ancient, yet perfectly functional waffle iron.
(Similar to my golf game - I play just enough to consistently suck)

Last time I was smart enough (or dumb enough to never remember the same lesson over & over again) to write on the back of a business card and afix it with painters tape:

1/2 cup batter
heat up to med-dark
cook on med
7 min.

(Take biz card/painters tape off while waffle iron in use--- I didn't have to write that part down ;)... I'm not that far gone yet!)

Fingers crossed I won't be spending my morning scraping cooked on waffle off the outside.

treehugger
6-10-12, 12:50pm
mtnlaurel, I am a big fan of writing those kind of notes to myself (my cookbooks are full of notes). Why should we try to store all of that information in our brains, when it's simple enough to write it down to help our future selves out. There's no prize in life for doing everything without a net.

The same goes for putting routines in place that make life easier. I know someone already mentioned the key rack by the door thing, but that's a big one for me. I hate misplacing things; it stresses me out. But once I train myself to put something (keys, cell phone, laptop, gym clothes, measuring cups, whatever) in one place every time, then I no longer have to think about it, or spend time searching for it when I need it. A place for everything and everything in its place makes my life so much simpler.

Kara

rosarugosa
6-10-12, 2:12pm
I do things like this at work - like on the copier, I have a label that says "labels go in face up" and near our small scanner "scan docs face up."
I obviously have trouble remembering which end is up! :)

Blackdog Lin
6-10-12, 8:49pm
Ooh, Rosa, yeah. One type of copier at work, and another at home. I've learned to, immediately upon receiving, or buying, a new packet of labels, to look at the pack of labels I'm using (wherever I am) and write the same thing, in big bold magic marker, on them: "labels face up", or "labels face down".

It's a learning disability I have, that I can't remember which is which, whereever I am.

But sometimes I also resent such things, that modern life requires me to make notes to remember how to make labels. Like, the manufacturers couldn't get together and decide "okay, we're all gonna go face up, so people won't have trouble with this". How difficult would this be?

Marketing ploys.....sheesh.....

martha
6-15-12, 12:25am
[QUOTE=Jemima;84716]

[/QUOTE/]

Have dogs who are in and out of the backyard all day? Buy variegated mud-colored carpet; the pattern, in different shades of earth, camouflages muddy footprints quite well until you get around to vacuuming/wiping up.

Merski
6-15-12, 7:36am
I just "inherited" a large stainless steel sauce pan with a glass cover that has built in drain holes (2 sizes) so I can drain pasta without a collander!!! Why didn't I think of that sooner??? Something that does double duty...

razz
6-15-12, 10:36am
I just "inherited" a large stainless steel sauce pan with a glass cover that has built in drain holes (2 sizes) so I can drain pasta without a collander!!! Why didn't I think of that sooner??? Something that does double duty...

Some of the designs are amazing in efficiency, aren't they?

Tussiemussies
7-1-12, 3:33pm
Do use my wooden clothespins as closures for any food bag that has been opened. Just fold the opened top and clip. Much cheaper than those chip clips! :)

Tussiemussies
7-1-12, 3:52pm
We also too do all of our dog's grooming, I do her nails and ears and we both bathe her.

Using a timer to water your flowers. It cost about $40.00 but well worth it. We ran the water hose under ground and attached it to the timer. Set it for time and length of time and days and it was so much of a time saver for me!

Florence
7-1-12, 7:01pm
If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape. If doesn't move but should, WD40.

cdttmm
7-1-12, 7:09pm
If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape. If doesn't move but should, WD40.

:D

Mrs-M
7-7-12, 9:22am
Never fails (when I'm canning), that a lid (or two) fails to seal, so to help the lids along I use my iron to finish the job. Set hot iron down on lid for a time, pop!

Maxamillion
7-8-12, 5:02am
I've made some of the orange peel vinegar! I cut the peel into strips and let it sit in apple cider vinegar for a couple of weeks, then pulled the peels out, then diluted the vinegar 50% with water, and put it in a spray bottle.

The other day when I was cleaning the stove, I noticed a thick build-up of sticky oil/grease under the rim of one of the round metal things that sits under the stove burners. I removed the burner part and the metal thing, made a thick paste of baking soda and water and put that over the grease on the stove and let it sit for several minutes, then went back and sprayed with the orange vinegar and used a paper towel to scrub at it a bit and it came right off! Then I wiped down the edge of the metal thing and reassembled everything.

razz
7-8-12, 7:33am
I've made some of the orange peel vinegar! I cut the peel into strips and let it sit in apple cider vinegar for a couple of weeks, then pulled the peels out, then diluted the vinegar 50% with water, and put it in a spray bottle.

The other day when I was cleaning the stove, I noticed a thick build-up of sticky oil/grease under the rim of one of the round metal things that sits under the stove burners. I removed the burner part and the metal thing, made a thick paste of baking soda and water and put that over the grease on the stove and let it sit for several minutes, then went back and sprayed with the orange vinegar and used a paper towel to scrub at it a bit and it came right off! Then I wiped down the edge of the metal thing and reassembled everything.

What a great idea!

Merski
7-16-12, 5:47pm
Broke down and bought two insulated PBA free "lidded insulated, spill-proof glasses with sturdy straws" from the "evil Empire". Just got back from a 2 day mini vacation and used them many, many times. Took them initially filled with ice cubes and our own filtered water, at lunch at a clam shack on a dock we put more ice and put in Fruit Appeal which saved us a costly beverage. Later we rinsed a little and put in more ice and iced coffee we brought from home. Stayed at a place that had a kitchenette so we brought our own food from home. We cleaned out the glasses and used them again for gin & tonics. We had water, ice and iced coffee to see us home. I'll tell you, those things earned a special place in my heart....

jp1
7-16-12, 9:53pm

This one made me laugh. I used to work with a woman that had 4 cats. Being a hip NY'er she always wore black, and apparently her husband did too. Every morning she'd come to work and spend 5 minutes with tape getting cat hair of her clothes. One day I was talking to her while she did this and she said "As these cats die we're going to replace them all with black ones."

One of our cats eats too fast and yacks up his food about once a week. We're happy that our current apartment has upstairs carpet that's the same color as his barf. Wipe it up and it looks great. No noticeable stains at all!

jp1
7-16-12, 10:00pm
I read this somewhere on this forum so the tip is just being passed on. To keep your home tidier everyone should vow to "don't put it down-put it away" for two or three weeks until it becomes a new good habit.

SO just won't get with that program. When I first met him he used to leave every cabinet and drawer in his apartment open. Apparently he thinks it's too much effort to re-open a cabinet you've closed if you realize you need something else from it... I got him trained to close them after banging my head in the edge of a cabinet door after we'd been dating a few months. (I think I yelled at him for a good 5 minutes after that experience...) But his other habit is to just set everything on the nearest flat surface. After we moved in together I realized this was going to really suck since I can't stand clutter. I gave up trying to train him out of this habit, but came up with a reasonable solution. I've created a "place for every thing" that is near where he tends to set stuff down. The day's mail sitting on the kitchen counter? No problem. There's a basket for his mail 5 feet away on the living room credenza. It takes me virtually no time to get it put away. Dirty underwear in the hallway? No problem. The hamper now sits just inside the bathroom. Keys/wallet/etc on the dining room table inside the front door? Another basket on the shelf next to it. Yes, I'm picking up after him, but I'd rather just spend 10 seconds here and there doing this instead of nagging him all the time.

small & friendly
7-17-12, 6:04pm
Want to get rid of the smell of cooked fish or cabbage? Warm up a cup of vinegar in the microwave, then set it out on the stove top. The odors are gone by next day.
I use soap pads on ss pots and pans, but it's usually only one or two areas, so now I use kitchen scissors to snip off a corner of the soap pad and it's more than enough to scour off that stubborn spot.
You can freeze partially used lemons or oranges. I use them to squirt on fish or in baked goods.
A little 6-inch square of rubber shelf liner makes a great gripper. I especially like it to open the battery compartment of my camera.
Coffee filters come in handy to cover small dishes when reheating in the microwave.
I also write notes on products, i.e., on my hair coloring box: when I used it, how much I used, how much of the coloring and cream developer I combined and how long I left it on.

Tussiemussies
7-17-12, 8:35pm
So many great tips, I love this thread!

Jill
7-18-12, 2:31pm
Save the cap from a standard size rubbing alcohol or peroxide bottle. It will fit most lotion/soap pump bottles. When the pump bottle's almost empty, remove the pump, put the alcohol cap on and turn it upside-down to drain.

mm1970
7-18-12, 2:41pm
SO just won't get with that program. When I first met him he used to leave every cabinet and drawer in his apartment open. Apparently he thinks it's too much effort to re-open a cabinet you've closed if you realize you need something else from it... I got him trained to close them after banging my head in the edge of a cabinet door after we'd been dating a few months. (I think I yelled at him for a good 5 minutes after that experience...) But his other habit is to just set everything on the nearest flat surface. After we moved in together I realized this was going to really suck since I can't stand clutter. I gave up trying to train him out of this habit, but came up with a reasonable solution. I've created a "place for every thing" that is near where he tends to set stuff down. The day's mail sitting on the kitchen counter? No problem. There's a basket for his mail 5 feet away on the living room credenza. It takes me virtually no time to get it put away. Dirty underwear in the hallway? No problem. The hamper now sits just inside the bathroom. Keys/wallet/etc on the dining room table inside the front door? Another basket on the shelf next to it. Yes, I'm picking up after him, but I'd rather just spend 10 seconds here and there doing this instead of nagging him all the time.
Boy I can relate, but we are all like that. I think I am going to gather up everything once per day in a box and go through it weekly.

I did read once that organization wise there are pilers and filers. Your method works well for pilers. We need places to put our piles.

Real Sustainable Habits
7-18-12, 3:10pm
Use binder clips to organize electrical cords (especially for computer areas & entertainment centers).

Use toilet paper & paper towels to wrap appliance cords when unplugged.

Layer your clothes to keep warmer in the winter: innermost layer should be cotton/polyester, then fleece/wool, and finally, a "windbreaking" outer layer like nylon or leather.

Mrs-M
12-22-12, 1:53am
When browning ground beef, use a potato-masher to crush and break-down lumps.

Wildflower
12-22-12, 3:48am

Great tip, Mrs-M, I will remember that one! Learn something new everyday. :)

goldensmom
12-22-12, 6:36am
Excellent idea. I never use my potatoe masher (I just mash potatoes up with the mixer beaters) so now it has a purpose.

bunnys
12-22-12, 7:29am
goldensmom: You should. When I was a kid my mother got out the Sunbeam stand mixer to make her mashed potatoes and it was such a hassle! And the potatoes were always lumpy (not cooked enough and against the smooth texture of mixer whipped potatoes it was like eating chunky peanut butter.)

I use the potato masher and find is SO MUCH EASIER!!!!

Mrs-M
12-22-12, 12:31pm
One trick to turning-out creamy smooth mashed potatoes, is mashing them (by hand) right after you drain them. Once you have the freshly steamed/boiled (dry) potatoes mashed as best as you can, add butter and cream (a little at a time) and mash again.

goldensmom
12-22-12, 1:24pm
Thus far I've not had lumpy mashed potatoes with the mixer method. After boiling, draining and steaming off the remaining liquid, I smash and mix. I add butter, sour cream and cream cheese, salt, pepper, sometimes garlic powder or garlic salt then whip until smooth. Maybe the type of potatoe makes a difference in lumping. Yukon Gold is a good potato to mash, turns out a nice shade of light yellow.

Mrs-M
12-22-12, 1:26pm
Originally posted by Goldensmom.
Yukon Gold is a good potato to mash, turns out a nice shade of light yellow.It sure does. :)

Mrs-M
12-22-12, 2:10pm
Everyone knows the old, run diaper pins through your hair trick, when pinning diapers, or keep pins in a bar of soap.

My SIL (on the other-hand), kept diaper pins in a sponge treated with a handful of drops of baby oil.

MaryHu
12-22-12, 2:37pm
I like to stock up on things which I use often but I don't always remember I have more or where it is. So on the current, open container of whatever it is I put a label stating "More in upper left pantry" so I know a) I do have more and b) where it is. When I take one out of storage I can transfer to label to the new container. When I take the last one out of storage I throw the label away so I know that I don't have any more in storage. I might also make a note on my shopping list to keep an eye out for a good deal on that ingredient. I don't just use this in the kitchen but also the medicine cabinet, on vitamins etc.

Cross referencing works for me too. I buy falafel mix from the bulk bins at Winco and on the container in which I store it I have a label telling me where to find the sauce mix for it: "XYZ cook book, page #125" for example.

These 2 time savers really help in the kitchen.

Mrs-M
12-22-12, 2:44pm
I like it, MaryHu!

Tradd
12-22-12, 3:25pm
One trick to turning-out creamy smooth mashed potatoes, is mashing them (by hand) right after you drain them. Once you have the freshly steamed/boiled (dry) potatoes mashed as best as you can, add butter and cream (a little at a time) and mash again.

I don't make homemade mashed potatoes that often, but when I do, this is the way I've always done them.

Mrs-M
12-22-12, 3:27pm
I don't make homemade mashed potatoes that often, but when I do, this is the way I've always done them.Ha! Homemade mashed potatoes are the best!

reader99
12-22-12, 4:19pm
If it's hard to get your license or ID out of the windowed slot in your wallet, put a short piece of clear tape on the outer end to make a little tab to pull it out by.

Tussiemussies
12-22-12, 4:25pm
Thus far I've not had lumpy mashed potatoes with the mixer method. After boiling, draining and steaming off the remaining liquid, I smash and mix. I add butter, sour cream and cream cheese, salt, pepper, sometimes garlic powder or garlic salt then whip until smooth. Maybe the type of potatoe makes a difference in lumping. Yukon Gold is a good potato to mash, turns out a nice shade of light yellow.

When I do get to eat mashed potatoes, I love Yukon gold, they have a naturally butter flavor and texture. : )

Tussiemussies
12-22-12, 4:26pm

If it's hard to get your license or ID out of the windowed slot in your wallet, put a short piece of clear tape on the outer end to make a little tab to pull it out by.

Great idea!!

bunnys
12-22-12, 5:41pm
Everyone knows the old, run diaper pins through your hair trick, when pinning diapers, or keep pins in a bar of soap.

My SIL (on the other-hand), kept diaper pins in a sponge treated with a handful of drops of baby oil.

Not only do I not know these old diaper pin tricks, I don't know why you'd need diaper pin tricks to begin with. But then I also don't have a kid so really don't think I'll ever need diaper pins, much less tricks to help me manage them.

That said Mrs. M., why would I need a diaper pin trick?

MaryHu
12-24-12, 12:41pm
I field this one Bunnys:

Diaper pins can be hard to get through so many layers of fabric so the oil or soap provides lubrication to ease the way.

Mrs-M
12-24-12, 12:45pm
Yes indeed, MaryHu! What I particularly fancied about my SIL's method of keeping diaper pins in her home, was how she came up with an alternative idea from the traditional, i.e., pins in a bar of soap method, or, running pins through hair method, which was why I chose to add it to this thread topic.

early morning
12-25-12, 4:35pm
Even though my diapering days are in the past, we use diaper pins, or other large safety pins, to pin prices on vintage fabrics, blankets, etc. So you don't have to have kids to need and appreciate a "diaper pin trick" - think of it as a "safety pin trick".

Mrs-M
12-27-12, 10:10am
Excellent point (and ideas), Early Morning. So many simple/frugal living hints/tips/tricks, can be applied to, like, or similar things, so I always embrace new and fresh ideas, just as I do, old. You just never know when something "old", becomes "new" again!

Mrs-M
2-6-13, 10:30am
Pin-tucking waistband of baby rubber pants. (AKA... doing the hokey-pokey).

An old-fashioned simple/frugal tip (that's a fact)... but one I felt was worthy enough of adding to this great thread. Was a staple practice in my home... and, a practice I occasionally came across when I used to babysit.

Loose/stretched/old worn-out waistbands on rubber pants can be quickly smartened-up with a diaper pin! Pinning through actual elasticized casing is best, but if you have to pin through the vinyl/plastic part of the pants (as I did), pin deep enough to catch diaper under rubber pants to keep the pin from tearing the pants prematurely.

I've gotten added weeks out of rubber pants by doing this in my home... pants, that otherwise would have ended up in the garbage pail.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1132&d=1360162791

Mrs-M
2-8-13, 1:05pm
When julienning pork chops or slicing sausages thinly, do it while the meat is still slightly frozen. Cuts always turn out neat and clean!

Mrs-M
2-8-13, 1:09pm
Like to pack fresh apple slices in your lunch, but don't like the brown colour they turn... spritz/drizzle with a little lemon juice. No more brown! Keeps fresh fruit, fresh!

early morning
2-9-13, 11:10am
Adding back one that was lost to the Red Box of Doom - itchy dry skin on your back can be helped by applying lotion using either a long handled brush or spoon with a sock over it (I think that was Tradd's idea) or by putting lotion on the convex side of a very long handled shoe horn, which is what I use. In any case, no reason to buy an over-priced plastic gadget from a specialty catalog just to put lotion on your back.

Mrs-M
2-10-13, 1:56pm
Another favourite of mine...

When using foil (tin) or plastic wrap to shape meatloaf, etc, wet and wring dishcloth, then wipe down counter-area where foil/wrap will be placed, then lay foil/wrap over dampened area. Now, when you work with the loaf shaping/forming it, the foil/wrap will stay stuck in place to the kitchen counter-area instead of lifting each time you roll/work the loaf.

Came by this one quite by accident. Best accident ever!

Gardenarian
2-12-13, 1:51pm
Another way to keep an apple fresh - cut it slices and then re-assemble it and wrap a rubber band around it.

Mrs-M
2-15-13, 6:34pm
And let's not forget the old rubber-band around a tightly sealed lid, trick!

Rubber-band, or damp dishcloth, both work well. I never seem to have a rubber-band handy, so always resort to using the dishcloth.

Years ago I actually had a round rubber pad/disk that was specially made for removing/popping tight lids. Worked super! Don't know where it is now...

early morning
2-17-13, 9:21am
Hey, Mrs.M, if you cut a small piece of the grippy rubber shelf and drawer liner stuff (like this: http://www.target.com/p/basic-grip-shelf-liner-white-12x5/-/A-11172319) it works great to open jars with, like the the pad you are missing. It's also wonderful for keeping cushions on chairs and cat-beds on the cedar chest at the foot of our bed. I have a piece under my VCR at work, and under my computer keyboard, to keep them from moving around. Wonderful stuff - and pretty inexpensive! I just bought a large roll at a happy discount store - $1.49 for a 5 ft roll of 20" wide liner.

cdttmm
2-17-13, 12:10pm
Hey, Mrs.M, if you cut a small piece of the grippy rubber shelf and drawer liner stuff (like this: http://www.target.com/p/basic-grip-shelf-liner-white-12x5/-/A-11172319) it works great to open jars with, like the the pad you are missing. It's also wonderful for keeping cushions on chairs and cat-beds on the cedar chest at the foot of our bed. I have a piece under my VCR at work, and under my computer keyboard, to keep them from moving around. Wonderful stuff - and pretty inexpensive! I just bought a large roll at a happy discount store - $1.49 for a 5 ft roll of 20" wide liner.

early morning -- what a great tip! Thanks so much for posting this!

Mrs-M
2-17-13, 1:50pm
Brilliant, Early Morning!!! I've been hopelessly bummed, since posting about that old rubber-pad lid-opener of mine. I turned the house upside down yesterday searching for it... all to no avail.

JaneV2.0
2-17-13, 3:22pm

I'm guessing a square of this stuff would be good for keeping your MP3 player or cell in place on your dashboard, as well.

BarbieGirl
2-17-13, 6:09pm
+1 Jane! Great idea!

Mrs-M
2-24-13, 10:57am
Before freezing soft burrito/tortilla wraps, carefully slip a long knife between each wrap to separate, that way when you freeze them they won't rip and tear (stick to one another) when you try and separate them to use.

Mrs-M
2-24-13, 12:58pm
Another oldie- but goodie!

Stiff, line-dried diapers off line... toss into electric tumble dryer for a few minutes with a damp bath towel! Diapers come out buttery soft! Works on all things line-dried.

razz
2-24-13, 1:07pm
You are just loaded with great ideas, Mrs M!!!

Mrs-M
2-24-13, 1:26pm
LOL, Razz! I find it goes in steps and stages. Seems I'll forget stuff that I used to do (daily), then suddenly, courtesy of a thread topic or a post someone enters, BAM... it's there... old ideas and hints and tips of mine!

My thoughts are, even if no immediate member of this forum can use some of the simple living hints posted, there's always someone out there who can, and maybe... that in itself will help draw in fresh new interest, as in new members!

Mrs-M
2-28-13, 9:37am
When bathing babies, lay a towel down inside bathtub/sink to prevent child from slipping.

Tussiemussies
2-28-13, 12:39pm
When bathing babies, lay a towel down inside bathtub/sink to prevent child from slipping.

I do this too when I give my dog a bath so she won't be slipping all over the place....:)

Mrs-M
2-28-13, 2:10pm
I do this too when I give my dog a bath so she won't be slipping all over the place....:)Awww... bathing a dog sounds like fun!

I had two bad scares bathing babies (bathtub)... both times happened while bathing my own children... and lucky for me, and them... no one was hurt. Loved my old plastic baby bath for giving baths. Way less danger, and way more easy to control the child being bathed.

Mrs-M
2-28-13, 3:21pm
Double crib sheets.

Rubber sheet over crib mattress, cotton sheet over the rubber, followed by another rubber sheet, followed by another cotton sheet over that! Double-crib sheets! Quick, convenient, fuss-free!

With double crib sheets, it takes but a minute to strip baby's crib (middle of the night), and have baby back inside!

Mrs-M
3-11-13, 10:39am
A dash of baby powder inside baby's rubber pants at diaper change time (hot weather), helps prevent elastic-rash and irritation. Also makes the off/on process easier with sweaty little legs!

decemberlov
3-11-13, 1:33pm
speaking of baby powder...when leaving the beach just sprinkle baby powder on sandy feet and hands and the sand comes right off :)

Tussiemussies
3-11-13, 2:46pm
speaking of baby powder...when leaving the beach just sprinkle baby powder on sandy feet and hands and the sand comes right off :)

That is a good one December!

Mrs-M
3-11-13, 4:11pm
Neat-O, Decemberlov!

larknm
3-12-13, 11:35am
This is really cool for my life. I circle on my calendar the days when the moon is in Virgo--which is usually two days together a month. Virgo is the sign of, among other things, tidiness and detail. So on those days most months, I do cleaning or organizing things--not just those days, but I always know it will come easier those days. If you are interested in trying it and don't have access to anything that tells you when the moon is in Virgo, there's it for the rest of 2013:
March 25, 26 August 9, 10
April 22, 23 September 5, 6
May 19, 20 October 29, 30
June 15, 16 November 26, 27
July 12, 13 December 23, 24

Mrs-M
3-12-13, 11:43am
Totally funky, Larknm! OK... I'm going to follow the cycle and see what happens. Will report back to you. :)

Mrs-M
3-12-13, 12:01pm
To help prevent scaling inside electric water kettle, empty kettle out between use. (Reminder to self).

decemberlov
3-12-13, 2:35pm
A piece of bread in a tin of cookies will keep the cookies soft for days.

Also I always cook extra pasta and then freeze the leftovers (no sauce or butter). Boil water and drop pasta in for 20 seconds and you have pasta just a fresh as the 1st time.

frugal-one
3-12-13, 5:36pm
Easy way and place to keep all those passwords... put in small address book.
Organize scarves by putting a ring of shower hooks on a coathanger... tie scarves on Os (hooks).
Stack or line drawers with ice cube trays to store earrings.
Put sheet sets in one of the pillow cases. Easier to stack in linen closet.
Buy lotion with lemongrass scent... use as insect repellent. Bath & Body Works... Lemongrass Sage is especially nice!

Mrs-M
3-13-13, 5:36pm
Neat-O ideas you guys!