PDA

View Full Version : Chickpea snack - major kid pleaser

bae
6-10-12, 5:09pm
I just made this for a high school math study group that seems to be occupying my dining room.

- preheat oven to 350ish
- take a few cans of chickpeas, drain, rinse, drain
- spread out chickpeas on cookie sheet, pat dry with towel
- sprinkle olive oil over chickpeas, stir around to evenly coat, put on a bit of salt
- throw into oven for 45 mins-ish
- when they are sorta-crunchy and dark on the outside, but have a wee bit of creamy goodness left on the inside, they are done.
- remove, sprinkle with spices of your choosing, serve
- make more because they vanish - one teenager eats at least 1/2 can of chickpeas without a blink

For spices this time, I went with garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, oregano, cumin, chipotle and cayenne pepper.

Valley
6-10-12, 5:13pm
This sounds yummy...I'm going to try some!

razz
6-10-12, 6:11pm
Those are good, I made them by accident one time and got lead astray eating them.

CathyA
6-10-12, 6:40pm
Hmmmm....I make hummus all the time, but never thought of doing this! Sounds great. Thanks!

peggy
6-10-12, 8:17pm
I've heard you can do the same thing with a can of hominy. Haven't tried it yet, but plan to sometime soon. I've made the chickpea crunchies before and yes, they are yummy!

Blackdog Lin
6-10-12, 8:35pm
I tried this 6 weeks ago, they came out nicely but too bland for snacking (doing them for DH's snacking. I don't snack). I decided I needed to work on my spices, but haven't gotten around to trying them again.

My recipe added the spices before roasting. Reading your post made me realize that perhaps that was the problem: need to add the spices AFTER roasting.

K. Gonna try this again using your method. Thanks for the post!

cdttmm
6-10-12, 8:40pm
I am so going to make these this week!!! Thanks, bae!

mtnlaurel
6-10-12, 9:23pm
I am so going to make these this week!!! Thanks, bae!

+1