PDA

View Full Version : It's like déjà vu....all over again....

Florence
6-10-12, 7:31pm
I have been slowly reading through Grand Expectations: the United States, 1945-1974 (Oxford History of the United States) by James Patterson. I am currently reading the chapter Escalation in Vietnam. The following paragraphs are from that chapter:

"One of the most important lessons that might have been learned from the Vietnam War is that it is difficult for a nation--even a world power--to protect and reform a client state that cannot or will not manage itself. It may be impossible to provide protection if the state in trouble also faces widespread civil unrest and invasion, as was the case with South Vietnam.
Second, the North Vietnamese were willing to fight hard and for ever how long it took."

I just keep shaking my head.

CathyA
6-10-12, 9:04pm
Me too Florence.

freein05
6-10-12, 11:38pm
Over fifty thousand men and women's names on a cold piece of granite. They were my age. I was drafted in 1965 I did not have to go to Nam but many of the guys I went through basic with did and some of them never came back. My brother did have to go to Nam. He came back OK. We were drafted a month apart. My poor parents were beside themselves having both of their son's in the Army at the same time with Vietnam War going strong.

I think often of my fellow warriors who did not have a chance to grow old and were not able to live and enjoy a long life. They died for nothing in a politicians war.

Gregg
6-11-12, 9:23am
"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains, and the women come out to cut up what remains, jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains and go to your gawd like a soldier." Rudyard Kipling

The US isn't the only player in this game with some history of such things.