PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle question

artist
6-13-12, 9:40am
Hi all. I've been trying to go car light and I just picked up my new ride and I love it. I got a 2012 Trek FX 7.1 I love everything about the bike. The geometry, the fit, the ride etc... It's the perfect bike for my commuting and recreational needs. The only potential problem I can see is the limited hand positioning for when dh and I take a weekend tour or tackle a longer rail trail. Think 25 miles or more.

Does anyone know anything about bar extenders or bar ends? Pros/cons. What to watch out for and what the different types are used for. I got a little overwhelmed at the bike shop the other day and they were mobed with people and staff was busy with folks looking to buy bikes. I will try later in the week when it's less busy, but thought I'd ask here as well.

I will be adding fenders and am debating between rear rack and handle bar bag. Thoughts apprecitated there as well. I'm thinking I may want the flexiblity of having both depending on the type of ride I'm doing. ie... I won't always need to carry a pannier but if we go to the islands we'll be there overnight and I will need it.

Thanks.

pcooley
6-13-12, 9:53am
I don't have much to say about bar ends -- I've gravitated more toward upright, swept-back bars lately -- but I thought I should put in a word about trailers.

After almost eight years of living without a car, trailers have emerged, for me, as being much more convenient than panniers or handlebar bags. After some initial dislike of it, I've come to rely heavily on the Bicycle R Evolution trailer. http://www.bikerev.com/ B.O.B. trailers are also common, though I prefer the two wheel design of the prior mentioned trailer. http://www.bobgear.com/ And finally, I use a long Bikes at Work trailer for hauling hay bales and doing my beekeeping work. http://www.bikesatwork.com

When the kids were younger, we also relied heavily on Burley kid trailers which can also be used to haul things around. They also make a cargo trailer.

The first trailer I mentioned is the one we have relied on the most, even now that we've caved in and bought a car.

artist
6-13-12, 10:03am
[QUOTE=pcooley;85756]I don't have much to say about bar ends -- I've gravitated more toward upright, swept-back bars lately -- but I thought I should put in a word about trailers.[QUOTE]

We are definatly looking out for a trailer. We want to be able to do our grocery shopping with the bikes. The big for us is price so we're keeping and eye out on craigslist and freecycle for one.

With weekend trips to the islands, we will be taking the bikes on the boat over to the island so we need to keep it simple. We will just be carrying toiletries, a couple of changes of clothes, one pair of shoes and some snacks/water, camera, maybe some small gifts or requested items for family that is hard to get on island etc... So panniers with a rear rack makes sense, but I'm not sure if I would need a handbar bag as well. Or if that will get in the way with the bar extenders or bar ends.

puglogic
6-13-12, 11:35am
Artist, I'm in exactly the same boat, and will be curious about the responses you get. I just bought a Trek Mamba with hybrid-tread 29" tires, and am loving it. Trying to play with the handlebars for greater comfort!

artist
6-13-12, 1:35pm
Artist, I'm in exactly the same boat, and will be curious about the responses you get. I just bought a Trek Mamba with hybrid-tread 29" tires, and am loving it. Trying to play with the handlebars for greater comfort!

Handle bars are good. It's just that after several miles my carpol tunnel acts up and I need to completly change position or I experience numbness in my hands. Gloves help, but I think bar ends may be a good option. Just wondering if anyone has tried them.

awakenedsoul
6-13-12, 5:43pm
I do most of my errands by bike. I got a really cool backpack that fits in a standard size front basket. I got the basket at the Salvation Army. Balance wise, I have to be careful, but it works for me. I've seen the trailers at Costco and have considered buying one. That's really the only time I "need" my car, is on my monthly trips to Costco.

gail_d
6-13-12, 10:17pm
I don't know anything about bar ends but that is (almost) my bike! I have a Trek 7.2 that I got three or so years ago: a lovely deep red, and it came from the bike shop with a black metal mesh Topeak basket for the back that is styled like a market basket and is easily removed from the rear rack. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't ridden it as much as I expected, but I agree with you about how it fits me perfectly.

artist
6-14-12, 7:01am
I don't know anything about bar ends but that is (almost) my bike! I have a Trek 7.2 that I got three or so years ago: a lovely deep red, and it came from the bike shop with a black metal mesh Topeak basket for the back that is styled like a market basket and is easily removed from the rear rack. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't ridden it as much as I expected, but I agree with you about how it fits me perfectly.

I was looking at those baskets I think. They have handles like a shopping bag right? They hand off the side of the rack rather than sitting on the top? I totally forgot about those as an option. Do you like it? Do you use it?

gail_d
6-14-12, 9:59am
Mine has a single handle like a shopping bag. It actually does sit on top of the rack, and what is neat is that there is a little slot that the bottom slides into, so it is very stable.

I am embarrassed to say that I haven't used it yet. It's one of my goals to do some errands by bike: the grocery store I like the best is only 1.8 miles away (and there are some even closer). The basket would easily hold everything I normally buy when I stop in.

It looks very much like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-MTX-Rear-Bicycle-Basket/dp/B000FI6WXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339682260&sr=8-1

herbgeek
6-14-12, 10:33am
I have a geezer bike (aka "comfort bike") so I've got nothing to say about the bar ends. I have a Klickfix handlebar system with a Detours market style basket. There is one button to push to disconnect the basket, so I can carry it to the market or the picnic blanket and just snap it back on when I'm done. Don't think my specific model is being made any more after looking at the company website.

jp1
6-14-12, 10:59am
Back when I used to ride lots I switched from a racing style bike to an upright and found that on longer rides I'd get numbness in my hands. So I tried bar ends and found them to be really useful for allowing me to switch up my riding position every few minutes which alleviated the numbness problem. If you're going to be riding for hours at a time on a fairly regular basis I'd personally really recommend getting them.

Rogar
6-15-12, 5:48pm
I commuted on my mountain bike for years and did get some bar ends to vary my hand position for comfort and relief. They did help. I'm not current with what bike shops stock these days, but there used to be some stubby bar ends that were more for radical climbing. Mine were longer with a curve to the inside and had ample space to place hands in various positions. I'd see what you local bike shop stocks and recommends. There are also some handlebar grip replacements with more padding and gloves with gel padding that will help with hand comfort. I've actually switched to a cyclocross bike for commuting. It is more like a stouter road bike. I find the drop style handlebars more comfortable.

I have rear rack and use one or both panniers to carry extra cloths and jackets or to carry groceries. My humble opinion is that a handle bar bag with much at all inside may throw your balance off during turns. A fanny pack or backpack would be my second choice but tends to get warm and sweaty in the summer.

artist
6-15-12, 9:07pm
I have rear rack and use one or both panniers to carry extra cloths and jackets or to carry groceries. My humble opinion is that a handle bar bag with much at all inside may throw your balance off during turns. A fanny pack or backpack would be my second choice but tends to get warm and sweaty in the summer.

I tried out a handle bar bag today, rode about 14 miles over the course of the day and while it was ok (I mean just ok) balance wise, I disliked having the weight over my front tires. Especially on steep, all be it short, climbs.

What type of Panniers do you have? So many options out there.

Rogar
6-15-12, 10:04pm
I think my panniers are just the ordinary variety. They have an "s" hook that hooks to the bottom of the rack and two hooks that loop over the top of the rack. They are connected by a bungee cord to hold the bag securely to the rack and the bags ride on the side of the rack. They have zippered bags for top loading and compression straps to tighten the bag so it doesn't flop around with a small load. There are different sizes and mine are on the smaller side but big enough for a decent load of groceries. There are made by Madden. There used to be a Madden outlet near me that sold seconds for a good price. They can get sort of expensive. I had a cheap pair that I had to donate to goodwill, but can't remember why I didn't like them.

Tiam
2-19-14, 2:00am
I allowed my friend to talk me into a woman's mountain bike. I feel like i'm doing twice the work necessary to commute on it. I need a commuter bike. I feel like the bikes seen on Call the Midwife show would do me best at my age. What is the name for that style of bike?

SteveinMN
2-19-14, 9:22am
Around here, that kind of bike is called a "fixie" for having the one speed (fixed gearing).

Trek doesn't sell single fixed-gear bikes, but they call their similar models "urban utility". Some "recreation" bikes also would fit in that category.

[ETA] Apparently Schwinn calls those bikes "urban" as well.

Tiam
2-19-14, 11:40pm
Around here, that kind of bike is called a "fixie" for having the one speed (fixed gearing).

Trek doesn't sell single fixed-gear bikes, but they call their similar models "urban utility". Some "recreation" bikes also would fit in that category.

[ETA] Apparently Schwinn calls those bikes "urban" as well.

Not a fixie. I do want some gears. More about the comfort/commuter style of frame and wheelbase. And what's up with fixies having no brakes? I've read some things about that. Is that an option that some people choose?

ToomuchStuff
2-20-14, 12:40am
There are hybrids, that use thinner tires of a street bike, on something more like the frame of a mountain bike (sitting position is more like a mountain bike). Since I have never seen that show, I did a quick google image search and the bike looks at lot like a woman's beach cruiser.
Also never heard of a fixie having no breaks, unless they are going to reace someone. I would think, while they might not use hand brakes, coaster brakes might still be used.

Tammy
2-20-14, 4:05am
Fixies don't have breaks ... You stop by peddling slower and you can never coast. The peddles are fixed to the rotation of the wheels. Death traps. But appealing none the less. All the rage here in downtown Phoenix.

SteveinMN
2-20-14, 9:42am
Fixies don't have breaks ... You stop by peddling slower and you can never coast.
Which accounts for why so few bicyclists around here seem to recognize what to do when they see those octagonal red signs at corners.>8)

Tiam
2-20-14, 11:24am
There are hybrids, that use thinner tires of a street bike, on something more like the frame of a mountain bike (sitting position is more like a mountain bike). Since I have never seen that show, I did a quick google image search and the bike looks at lot like a woman's beach cruiser.
Also never heard of a fixie having no breaks, unless they are going to reace someone. I would think, while they might not use hand brakes, coaster brakes might still be used.

Beach cruisers are heavier and slower. I don't like them for commuting at all. I've read a lot about fixies with no breaks and being a bit of a status thing in some places. It would make sense that Portland would be one of those places.

Tiam
2-20-14, 11:53am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQu1rNs0an0

Tanglefoot
2-20-14, 12:41pm
I had some L-shaped bar-ends on a previous bike. They did save my hands a few times, in bike path encounters and tree glances on the trail. I didn't really use the additional hand positions often though.

My current bikes don't have them, but with a straight bar, I'll sometimes put my palms over the ends of the bar and wrap my fingers around the bottom as an alternate grip position.

I love bike trailers. They make it so easy to carry some weight without affecting the feel of the bike too much. I use a kid-carrier-type for groceries and errands and acquired a second one someone was giving away. I stripped the second one and use it as a flatbed, cargo frame. In the winter, I mount a homemade V-blade to it and use it to clear snow off the neighborhood sidewalks. The cargo frame has a clamp-type hitch, so I can hitch it to the other trailer, for a train. I haven't had the need to do that though...just tried it for fun. The strangest and most cumbersome cargo I've had on the trailer frame was a 27" tube TV and a folded, extra-large wire dog kennel (not at the same time).

Ugh--fixies are scary. So many blown-out knees from trying to stop. I heard someone tried to take one down the road from Horsetooth Reservoir and flew right off one of the switchbacks--they couldn't slow down enough.

Enjoy the Trek--looks like a smooth-running one.

ctg492
2-23-14, 6:21pm
I have this bike, one of my too many bikes. I added full fenders. I added handle bar stem extention. I measured where I wanted to have it raised to and my bike guy installed. Rack on back. I bought this bike one day two years ago wandering the Trek section of my bike shop. I logged a few thousand miles on it. Add anything you want to it and enjoy. The more I added the reason I bought the bike was lost, the light weight for a daily ride bike.

Tiam
2-23-14, 11:58pm
I have this bike, one of my too many bikes. I added full fenders. I added handle bar stem extention. I measured where I wanted to have it raised to and my bike guy installed. Rack on back. I bought this bike one day two years ago wandering the Trek section of my bike shop. I logged a few thousand miles on it. Add anything you want to it and enjoy. The more I added the reason I bought the bike was lost, the light weight for a daily ride bike.

Which bike?

goldensmom
2-24-14, 6:05am
Bar ends....got 'em and use 'em on my Bianchi Doss 6600. I've had straight and curved. I like the curved best. I use them to vary my hand position to avoid the fatigue of one position.

Packy
2-25-14, 4:00pm
I have a "comfort bike" that I built using an old mountain bike as the starting point. It's purposed as a in-town, short-trip "commuter" bike that will save wear and tear on my Road bike. It has straight-across handlebars,like a motorcycle, and twist-grip shifters, but these limit your possible hand-holds---and I don't like my hands resting knuckles across at all times--I like them fore and aft, as I would on a road bike with drop bars an brake levers. So, bar extensions would solve this in a practical way; not requiring disassembly of the bike to change to different bars and shifters is one benefit.

happystuff
3-2-14, 9:16am
Loving the bike discussion.... Does anyone know anything about folding bikes for use as a commuting bike? I have seen some on ebay and amazon... pricy for me, butI'm still interested and was wondering how they would stand up to daily commuting. fyi - my commute includes hills.