PDA

View Full Version : Nook!

Midwife
1-29-11, 10:21pm
I am a proud new owner of a colour Nook (a christmas pressie), I have so many new books on there, I can hardly stand it!! :laff: I love the fact that right now I have 19 books on it, and I can carry it around in my purse and not need a chiropractic adjustment!!!
Anyone else have an electronic reader, and how much do you like it??

Nella
1-29-11, 11:16pm
Got the same eReader for Christmas too! I'm not e-gadget savvy, so I've no clue how to hook it up and get it started. I've heard that the Nook can be used to download books from the library as well. Do you know if this is true?

loosechickens
1-30-11, 2:10am
I have a Kindle, from Amazon.com and am MADLY in love with it.

If your library has books available for download, Nella, and uses Epub, yes you will be able to download library books onto your Nook.

To me, that feature is one feature where I think the Nook is superior to Amazon's Kindle. Amazon chose to have the Kindle use only proprietary software, so it does not support Epub which is what most libraries use for downloadable books.

Since we can still get "dead tree books" from the library at no cost, that feature was not enough for us to choose a Nook over the Kindle, as we felt the Kindle offered many technical and use features better than the Nook, but the ability to download from the library, (at least so far) is not available on the Kindle, nor is a color model.

Anne Lee
1-30-11, 8:32am
Midwife, I like my Kindle. Not that I have much time for reading these days. :( Hopefully this summer...

DH uses his Kindle a lot.

DS has a nook and at Christmas was using it a lot. Since he's back at school now I don't know how much time he has to use it.

herisf
1-30-11, 9:19am
I've had a Nook for over the past year and love it. I have 50+ books on it, have read lots from the library, and am slowly converting my dead tree books over to the electronic versions (the ones that I can and know that I will re-read, that is).

For all of you who have e-readers of whatever brand, take a look at Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/). It's a library management software that enables you to edit/convert books from one type of reader to another. I often buy books from the publisher, and use this software to convert it to Nook format. Calibre is free, and it's fabulous. I use it to put in the series # into the title, stuff like that. If you ever switch to another ereader, you can use Calibre to convert the format and never lose your books.

AmeliaJane
1-30-11, 11:00am
Also a Nook user--found mine refurbished online for $50 off. I preferred a Kindle for the design (my sis has one and I am envious) but I am a big library user and because I had relocated to an area with very limited library hours, I was racking up the overdue fines. Downloading library books takes just a little work to get set up but then is pretty easy. Your library website will have instructions. Also, if you Google Project Gutenberg, you will find lots of pre-1923 books available for free download, all formatted for the e-readers...everything from the Major Classics like Jane Austen and Charles Dickens to Anne of Green Gables and the Jeeves books by P.G. Wodehouse.

One thing...for those considering a Nook for the library access, I would spend some time with the e-book catalogue..I have cards for two libraries. One has a terrific selection of e-books (and for things on reserve, the reserves come up much quicker), and the other has almost nothing to choose from.

Midwife
1-30-11, 4:40pm
Thanks for the information herisf! I will look into this software. One of the things that I like about the colour Nook, is that I can get some magazines on it. I have a weakness for glossy publications, and the clutter they create :( This does cut down on that with some of the ones that I like to get....

AmeliaJane
1-30-11, 6:56pm
I do have one question...how long does the battery charge on the Color Nook last? I was looking over the options before I bought, and at least on the website it seemed like the color Nook had much shorter battery life. I went for the older version for that reason (have had a couple of issues with reading on my iPhone and running down the battery)--I only have to charge it every few days.

bae
1-30-11, 7:08pm
I use the Kindle software, but don't have a Kindle. I use the software on Windows, Apples, and iThings, so I can read my books pretty much anywhere.

Midwife
1-30-11, 7:09pm
I charge mine every few days... But I keep the backlight fairly low, and find that when the processor is working harder, like when on bn.com it tends to drain more quickly. I have been more irritated with my droid battery :( I am planning on an iphone in a week or so when verizon's version comes out :D

Zoe Girl
2-1-11, 11:06am
OOOhhhh, I love my nook. I was too busy reading on it to reply to this thread haha. I have the series of The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo on it and it was much less expensive to get all the books. I also got some free books like a phrase book for 25 languages and some Patterson books he writes for young adults (yeah they are free). My supervisor has one too and we are looking forward to sharing books because you can share one for free for 14 days. Pretty cool.

The Storyteller
2-1-11, 12:58pm
IFor all of you who have e-readers of whatever brand, take a look at Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/). It's a library management software that enables you to edit/convert books from one type of reader to another. I often buy books from the publisher, and use this software to convert it to Nook format. Calibre is free, and it's fabulous. I use it to put in the series # into the title, stuff like that. If you ever switch to another ereader, you can use Calibre to convert the format and never lose your books.

Okay, now why did you have to do that? Here I've been using the fact that the books aren't portable from one platform to another as an excuse not to get a Nook or Kindle or whatever, and here you go and obliterate it.

[Actually, thanks!]

winterberry
2-2-11, 11:13pm
OK, I'm tempted, but...

What will happen to libraries?

What about the aesthetic experience of paper vs plastic?

What about the art of the book?

What about reading picture books with your children?

What about no more bookstores? No browsing? No books and coffee?

What about no more books?

Why isn't there an icon for grief stricken?

I don't have an ereader. I'm buying books in hardcover from independent booksellers. As an investment. They'll be valuable someday.

(Well, I haven't yet, but I'm going to....)

Zoe Girl
2-3-11, 9:51am
Hmm, those are good points. I still buy childrens books and I still love browsing stores. However I am liking that it is easier to stay in my small space with the nook and not fill up shelves, make decisions about what to keep and what to pass on, etc. I am already frustrated with my magazines and am going to see if I can move my one subscription to the nook.

Stella
2-3-11, 3:39pm
I have the kindle app for my iPhone. I like it. It doesn't replace "dead tree" books (love that) but it's portable and classics are often free. I got Burgess Bird Book for Children today for free as well as The Secret Garden, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.

IshbelRobertson
2-3-11, 5:33pm
My husband bought me a Kindle for Christmas. As someone who always said I wouldn't want any e-book gadget - I finally gave in when I bought the latest Ken Follett, which was SOOOO heavy that I had barely started it (beginning of December) as it was too heavy to read comfortably with my slightly arthritic fingers.
I have downloaded LOADS of books to my device - and, as a thrifty Scot, I have really enjoyed the fact that the ebooks are so much cheaper than hardbacks!

The Storyteller
2-3-11, 7:02pm
OK, I'm tempted, but...

Libraries now carry and loan e-books, and some even lend e-book readers.

razz
2-3-11, 7:04pm
Now I am intrigued. How does this work?

I use the Kindle software, but don't have a Kindle. I use the software on Windows, Apples, and iThings, so I can read my books pretty much anywhere.

bae
2-3-11, 7:07pm
Now I am intrigued. How does this work?

Amazon makes Kindle applications for just about any platform, you can find details and downloads at the Amazon site.

It's handy too, as it syncronizes where I am, so if I'm reading on my iPad, and later open the book on my PC, it knows my spot.

SoSimple
2-3-11, 7:35pm
I have the Kindle, Nook and a generic eReader app on my phone, Kindle on this laptop, Kindle and Mobipocket on my other laptop. Kindle and Nook software syncs beautifully and having the apps on my phone is a godsend for all the travel I do. As bae says, you can download Kindle software onto your laptop, pc, smart phone (of any flavor) and get almost all the functionality of the Kindle hardware on your own device. Including the ability to instantly buy and download books, which is a Very Very Dangerous thing for me. :)

Midwife
2-3-11, 9:05pm
OK, I'm tempted, but...

What about the aesthetic experience of paper vs plastic?

What about the art of the book?

What about reading picture books with your children?

What about no more bookstores? No browsing? No books and coffee?

What about no more books?

Why isn't there an icon for grief stricken?

I don't have an ereader. I'm buying books in hardcover from independent booksellers. As an investment. They'll be valuable someday.

(Well, I haven't yet, but I'm going to....)

Great points, but as a certified bookaholic, I love real books! the smell, the feel, yeah, ya know... I still help keep my local bookstore, amazon and borders etc in business! I have so many books(we are talking about 3,000 +), and have a hard time parting with them, and when I lend them, they often don't come home, so it is not as easy to loan a book from my nook.

Midwife
2-3-11, 9:08pm
Including the ability to instantly buy and download books, which is a Very Very Dangerous thing for me. :)

I must admit, that this is akin to amazons "one click" :( I can just buy the dang thing, no traipsing out to the store, or ordering, and waiting for it to arrive..... Talk about instant gratification :(

winterberry
2-3-11, 9:50pm
Libraries now carry and loan e-books, and some even lend e-book readers.

I get that, but when there are no more books will there be libraries to loan e-books? What about people who can't afford e-readers? I'm sure the libraries won't be loaning them to just anyone and everyone.

winterberry
2-3-11, 9:54pm
... as a certified bookaholic, I love real books! the smell, the feel, yeah, ya know... I still help keep my local bookstore, amazon and borders etc in business! I have so many books(we are talking about 3,000 +), and have a hard time parting with them, and when I lend them, they often don't come home, so it is not as easy to loan a book from my nook.

Oh, good. You made me feel better :)

IshbelRobertson
2-4-11, 5:26am
I have a huge collection of books, and a huge part of that is cookery books. I wouldn't ever get a food book via any device, the joy of the amazing photography, and my blizzards of post-its to remind me what I thought of the recipe and whether or not I 'tweaked' it are part of the collection!

Midwife
2-4-11, 6:27pm
I have a huge collection of books, and a huge part of that is cookery books. I wouldn't ever get a food book via any device, the joy of the amazing photography, and my blizzards of post-its to remind me what I thought of the recipe and whether or not I 'tweaked' it are part of the collection!

Totally agree! My copy of Nourishing Traditions is so full of bookmarks, its half again as thick!!!

JaneV2.0
2-9-11, 3:50pm
I have lots of books on arts and crafts techniques with full-page photographs that wouldn't translate well to an e-reader, but they make sense to me for books that are mostly text. I don't read much fiction and buy even less, so the library will suffice for that. I'm waiting for tablet apps to peak and for formats to shake out before I consider one.

AmeliaJane
2-28-11, 11:37am
Just had to share on this thread...I was at my brother's this weekend and they got my middle-school nephew, who has always been a reluctant reader, a Nook to see if the format would help. Well, he is in love with his Nook, was walking around the house reading, and had to have it taken away during dinner. I have never seen this kid so engaged in reading, although he couldn't explain to us why it was easier. That is the beauty of the e-readers, I think--they aren't right for everyone or every setting, but for certain people they open up books in a way they didn't have before.

The Storyteller
2-28-11, 2:28pm
I have decided to skip nook and kindle and go for a neutral platform. My pocket computer now has Google Books, Nook, and Kindle apps all three. Now I carry a library around in my pocket, reading material at my fingertips anytime I want it.

winterberry
2-28-11, 5:32pm
I have never seen this kid so engaged in reading, although he couldn't explain to us why it was easier. That is the beauty of the e-readers, I think--they aren't right for everyone or every setting, but for certain people they open up books in a way they didn't have before.

I'm afraid I am one of those people.

In recent weeks I have had the opportunity to try out other people's Kindles. What I am realizing is that by enlarging the print and narrowing the column I can read faster than I have ever been able to with regular books. So I'm sure it is just a matter of time until I get one, and I will be contributing to the death of the book.

Except that I am still going to buy hardcover copies of first editions that have the potential to become valuable someday.

Recently I heard an interview with an author who said that eventually we will have to buy all our books through a few ebook distributors such as amazon, so our selection will be limited to what they choose to offer. They will control what we read.

loosechickens
2-28-11, 8:13pm
"Recently I heard an interview with an author who said that eventually we will have to buy all our books through a few ebook distributors such as amazon, so our selection will be limited to what they choose to offer. They will control what we read." (winterberry)
--------------------------------------------
Personally, I think just the opposite will occur. With the internet and advances in self publishing, print on demand, ebooks, etc., opportunities for authors to get their thoughts out in print or pixels is greater than ever before, and will continue like that.

I don't expect my Kindle habit to replace my "dead tree" book habit at all, but it is very handy, and I love it. I'm still reading at least several "real" books for every Kindle book I read, but that reflects a stack of unread "dead tree" books and a big library habit.

winterberry
2-28-11, 11:36pm
I hope you're right, loosechickens!

KayLR
12-14-11, 12:35pm
Amelia Jane, your post is very interesting...thanks for sharing that.

We had the same concern about newspapers. With the advent of online readership, how would the hold-in-your-hands newspaper survive? Our local has struggled. They've had numerous layoffs, reduced the number of pages, even on Sunday, and next year they are converting to a tabloid size. (WHich I find curious, as that means they must have to invest in new printing machinery--maybe they're selling their standard press).

JaneV2.0
12-14-11, 12:56pm
My beloved got me a Kindle as an early Christmas gift--proving, once and for all, that he never listens to a word I say.:) I have Kindle on my laptop, and am still waiting for the perfect tablet/e-reader (with a phone app, perhaps?). The Kindle went back and we had a nice laugh over the "blah blah blah Kindle blah blah" phenomenon.

Gardenarian
12-14-11, 5:29pm
I have tried ebooks on my netbook, but still prefer the paper version.

I just finished the latest book in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series, and it seriously aggravated the arthritis in my thumb, so I may change my mind about that. These 1000 page long novels are really a pain to lug around.

Our library system has ebooks in a bunch of different formats (overdrive, Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Literati, etc.) Eventually things will shake out and there will likely be just one format, and then I think the whole ebook thing will really take off.

KayLR
12-20-11, 7:45pm
OK, at the risk of sounding really ignorant, I'm going to ask this, because I'm confused, frustrated and feeling stupid.

To use a Kindle Fire, for example, you need a wireless provider/account at home, correct? I mean, I understand about using it at public hotspots, but at home, you would need to connect through, say, your cellular provider (e.g., T-Mobile) for WiFi?

I do not have Internet access at home currently. I do have a voice account with T-Mobile, who is offering a FREE mobile hotspot device right now ( I think I'd need to upgrade my account)...but I'm getting rummy trying to research what requirements are necessary to use a Kindle Fire (which I'm coveting right now) and whether this free hotspot would be useful to me or not.

What I'm trying to do is figure out the most frugal way to own and use a Kindle Fire...there may be no way to be.

HappyHiker
12-20-11, 9:37pm
I'm no techie, but I believe you can download/order books to your Kindle by using a WiFi hotspot like your library, but you don't need an internet or WiFi connection to read books on your e-reader once your ordered and downloaded your books. I've a regular Kindle and that's the way I use mine--I don't think the Fire is any different.

frugalone
1-20-12, 1:04am
My understanding is that you can now get library ebooks using a Kindle. Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

I do love the feel and smell of books, and love to spend time at the library and bookstore, but sometimes I'm very tempted by ereaders.

Selah
1-20-12, 2:26am
I love my Nook, which I just got. However, I would never use it for something that has a "high flip ratio," e.g. a phrasebook, which I am relying upon heavily now that I'm living in Israel and don't speak Hebrew very well! I am also a little suspicious about using it for cookbooks, as I don't really want my Nook getting stained with food and so on. I wonder if there's a way you can connect a Nook to a computer and print out specific pages, e.g. recipies, tables, etc?

frugalone
1-25-12, 9:43pm
I just posted this in another thread ("My Kindle Died"): What, if any, downsides are there to owning a Nook or Kindle?

Selah, you should be able to connect your Nook to your computer via a cable for downloading books, but as far as printing goes, I'm not sure you can do that. I would maybe Google that question.

mamarazz
2-1-12, 4:03am
I love my Nook!! I have a color Nook and it just upgraded to 1.4 v ersion,which has more on it now. I can watch movies and TV, IF I wanted too. I had an older version,which I gave to my daughter. She shares my account with me, so every book I get she also gets. We were joking about the number of books she "bought", and that she would need an allowance. All of the books she had downloaded were free!! since I buy lots of books, this is more economical. The books are much less,than the paperback or hardback version.I still have books, can't seem to let go!I find that the battery lfe depends on what you are doing with it. If I am doing crosswords, the battery life goes down rather quickly, but if I am reading it lasts a looong time.

lhamo
2-14-12, 6:33am
I love reading like you ,so i always take may Kindle in hand and be crazy about it.But unluciky ,i always forget other important things.And i have a question,which ebooks format are you reading?

Wuyun, you are welcome to contribute to the conversations in this community if you are not selling or promoting something, but the other post you left about the epub conversion software was what we consider "spam" -- an attempt to drive people to a commercial site. I have deleted it. Such posts are not acceptable and further violations of the forum rules will result in your registration being cancelled.

lhamo (speaking as a moderator)

jennipurrr
2-17-12, 11:38am
My understanding is that you can now get library ebooks using a Kindle. Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

My library is offering books in epub and kindle format, so yes it is true!

DH and I are reading more now that we have ereaders...it is just so convenient to hop on the library's website and download a book, or even sign up on the waiting list. I got DH a Nook for Christmas and I wasn't sure if he would really use it, but he reads for an hour or so nearly every night!

My grandmother, in her 80s, was a librarian for 40 years and (direct quote) said "they will have to pry a real book out of my cold, dead hands" - well, she received a Kindle for Christmas and is really enjoying it! It is very nice that she can now read any book in large print.