PDA

View Full Version : Freezing oranges, grapefruit, limes, can it be done?

ljevtich
6-21-12, 3:08pm
Hi All,
I searched but could not find about freezing citrus like oranges, grapefruit and limes. I realize that I would take off the skins (but not most of of the white stuff as it has good nutrients and fiber) and would slice them to make it easier to use, but can it be done? I have never seen oranges in the freezer section nor have I seen grapefruits or limes. Yet there was a great price for limes at Winco last month that would have made it great to buy them and freeze. I just did not think about it until now...

Which makes me think that there could be other stuff to freeze now. We got a larger freezer, and if we can freeze some tasty fruits that are in season now, it will be nice to have during the winter. But we use Oranges most of all.

ApatheticNoMore
6-21-12, 3:43pm
You can definitely freeze the juice (which is what limes are mostly used for isn't it?). I've heard dried limes being used in middle eastern cooking (you would add them to stews/soups and so on where they would expand again and could be squeezed again for thie juice). Of course there are also preserved lemons where lemons are pickled in salt. But I've never seen citrus frozen either.

libby
6-21-12, 4:04pm
I freeze citrus fruit all the time. I peel and quarter the oranges before flash freezing them on a cookie sheet. I then transfer to a freezer bag. I haven't tried thawing and eating them but I use them in smoothies. As for lemons and limes I just slice and freeze then use them in ice tea and other drinks.

ljevtich
6-22-12, 1:46pm
Thanks Libby! We use the oranges and limes for shakes. We usually use lemon juice rather than whole lemons, but we may have to rethink that too.