PDA

View Full Version : July Gratitude

puglogic
7-9-12, 11:50am
Today I'm grateful for the ability to walk around in the rain. Rain! We've been so dry, so smoky, so threatened by fire all around us that three days of rain is cause for celebration. Heck, I'd take three more.

Gardenarian
7-9-12, 1:56pm
Ooh, rain! I can just smell that hot cement when the first raindrops hit!

Today I am grateful that I got a really good night's sleep. I had to get to work extra early, and I feel great!

Tiffany
7-12-12, 3:15pm
I am grateful that DH is such a thoughtful dad and enjoys his son.

JaneV2.0
7-13-12, 2:04pm
A totally unexpected thunderstorm. Rain! Lovely...

SteveinMN
7-13-12, 4:44pm
I had lunch yesterday and today with two former coworkers of mine. Both of them (working in totally different areas of the company) reported that, if anything, the pace of work has quickened. Deadlines for projects are so tight that collaboration pretty much requires giving up one's weekends and holidays to have enough time to ask each other questions and integrate the feedback. And even though the company has functioned for some time now with no backup staff in many areas, employees still are expected to take their weeks of vacation (or lose them by year's end) and fit in life's events (weddings, babies) with no change in project deadlines.

This is not a small company; nor is it a company in the throes of massive financial losses or bankruptcy. To hear my coworkers tell it, it is business as usual there and at the companies of their peers elsewhere in the industry.

I am grateful that I am off that hamster wheel.

JaneV2.0
7-14-12, 8:22pm
I'm always grateful not to have to work.

And I'm grateful today for a nice stack of books--all different kinds--to read and for the world-class library system they came from.

bunnys
7-14-12, 8:59pm
They do this because they can. Was it you who made the reference to the new Gilded Age on one of these threads recently? That couldn't be a more apt description. Thankfully, the Progressive Era followed the Gilded Age...

Yes Jane, we've had rain (mild T-storms) on and off all day. It's been wonderful. Still as humid as a sauna but that horrific heat of last week has been gone for almost a week now and I'm still grateful!

try2bfrugal
7-14-12, 10:00pm
Today I went to a wake of a friend who died unexpectedly. It is a reminder that life can be shorter than we expect. I am just glad to be here typing this.

Also my dog had to go to the emergency vet this weekend. We had never had to go to the emergency vet before so I didn't know what to expect. It was a very nice animal hospital with a caring staff and a vet that took good care of our dog and tool the time to explain everything he could to us. I am grateful for the vet, the staff and that my dog seems to be recovering. It is so nice to see him wagging his tail again and feeling in shape to go for a walk.

Tussiemussies
7-14-12, 11:04pm
Try to be frugal, so sorry for the loss of your friend...

Glad that your dog is recovering now and getting back to his normal self. We have used emergency vets over the years and also had very good experiences with them. Glad you did too.

SteveinMN
7-14-12, 11:17pm
Was it you who made the reference to the new Gilded Age on one of these threads recently? That couldn't be a more apt description. Thankfully, the Progressive Era followed the Gilded Age...
That was me, yes. I'm just waiting for the revolution. When it comes, I suspect the 1% won't know what hit them.

puglogic
7-14-12, 11:37pm
So thankful to be doing my weekend "chore" -- helping at a big beer festival in the mountains with lots of festive, fun people, in a park by a river shaded by giant cottonwoods. I needed some unfettered fun and celebration to break the cycle of worry my life's been stuck in lately.

try2bfrugal
7-15-12, 2:36am
Try to be frugal, so sorry for the loss of your friend...

Thank you for the kind words. It was very sudden so I think many of his friends and family are still in shock.

frugal-one
7-15-12, 8:26pm
I'm always grateful not to have to work.

And I'm grateful today for a nice stack of books--all different kinds--to read and for the world-class library system they came from.

DITTO!!!!!!

Tussiemussies
7-15-12, 9:44pm
Thank you for the kind words. It was very sudden so I think many of his friends and family are still in shock.

I can imagine that everyone is still in shock. I think it is much harder on everyone in many ways when it a sudden death.

SiouzQ.
7-19-12, 1:51pm
Today at the 6:30am all-store meeting I got to spin the roulette wheel for a prize because I got a 100% score from a mystery shopper sometime in the last two weeks. I won a $75 gift card from Wholefoods ~ that's more than half a month's of groceries for me!

puglogic
7-19-12, 3:38pm
Today at the 6:30am all-store meeting I got to spin the roulette wheel for a prize because I got a 100% score from a mystery shopper sometime in the last two weeks. I won a $75 gift card from Wholefoods ~ that's more than half a month's of groceries for me!

Whoo-hoo! Awesome.

SteveinMN
7-19-12, 3:39pm
I won a $75 gift card from Wholefoods!
SQ, dare I say that WF already has treated you better than your old place?

Tussiemussies
7-19-12, 5:04pm
SiouQ, that is fantastic that you are such a great employee and that you won money because of it!

puglogic
7-20-12, 7:02pm
Grateful that my family is safe today.

SiouzQ.
7-20-12, 10:35pm
No question about it that it's way better than the old place (except my hourly pay)! There are lots of little incentives they throw around like this. The teamwork mentality is really important there because if the whole team rises above and makes their goals, everyone wins monetarily in a profit-sharing type of thing every quarter, hence, you don't want to ever be the slouch on the team.

Simpler at Fifty
7-23-12, 12:19pm
I am grateful DH was able to fix a dripping faucet. He replaced the innards of my bathroom faucet today. A couple months ago he did the same thing to the kitchen faucet. Probably saved us $200.

Gardenarian
7-23-12, 2:13pm
Grateful we got the carpool for dd's camp worked out. Will be driving only 2 shifts (rather than 10!) Big savings in time, $$, carbon, peace of mind!

JaneV2.0
7-23-12, 6:22pm
Grateful for the young, hyperactive squirrel performing feats of acrobatic derrying-do high among the springy branches of trees outside my window and making me smile.

iris lily
7-28-12, 11:46am
I am grateful for my new dishwasher. I am happy that my old *@(%*#$($*)!!! dishwasher went to the landfill. Hated that stupid thing from the day it was installed. Wish I'd dumped its sorry ass years earlier, there is no reason to live with an appliance that makes you miserable. There were so many things wrong with it (engineering and execution) but the daily presence of a grease deposit was over the top. Each day I had to swipe out that glop of grease. Dishwashers before and since do not present that to me.