PDA

View Full Version : Little People Pay In Every Way Due to Financial Crisis

heydude
7-12-12, 5:03pm
So lemme get this straight.......

i have to take a pay cut and do more work

plus, we, the people, are also paying for the bail out?

so not only do i have to work more, and get paid less for, not the same amount of work, but an increase in the amount of work, but with that lower pay, we have to also give our less money to the people that causes the mess in the first place?

and what do the people that caused it have to pay? or take in pay cuts? or take on in work load?

none?

bae
7-12-12, 5:08pm
and what do the people that caused it have to pay? or take in pay cuts? or take on in work load?

none?

Seemingly, we choose to re-elect those people to reward them for their behaviour :-(

SteveinMN
7-12-12, 5:13pm
heydude, welcome to the New Gilded Age.

After having disappeared from the dictionary for about a century, the term "robber baron" is back and doing well. :|(

ApatheticNoMore
7-12-12, 5:44pm

so not only do i have to work more, and get paid less for, not the same amount of work, but an increase in the amount of work, but with that lower pay, we have to also give our less money to the people that causes the mess in the first place?

Did any of that money that went to banks ever make it's way into the economy or did it just all plug bank balance sheet holes. I'm thinking the later. And to anyone who wants to say the bailouts were all paid back - several words for them: federal reserve bailouts plus money borrowed for near zero interest invested in treasuries etc..

In my more conspiratorial moments I think even holding unemployment high serves purposes such as keeping wages low etc.. But really, I think it's all less direct than all that, that it's more just we're pretty hollowed out economically now in this country (no manufacturing etc.). The politicians foresaw that much as the end result of the trade agreements for sure.

it's called the ruling class because it rules :\

creaker
7-12-12, 9:16pm
So lemme get this straight.......

i have to take a pay cut and do more work

none?

It's the price for being the "common people" - we wouldn't really understand it anyway.

bunnys
7-12-12, 11:01pm

After having disappeared from the dictionary for about a century, the term "robber baron" is back and doing well. :|(

+1

Wildflower
7-12-12, 11:40pm
Heydude, it sucks in every way! My motto these days is to really enjoy the very simple pleasures in life cause there isn't anything else left for us lowly ones!

Life in the USA has changed so much since I was a kid.... :(

try2bfrugal
7-13-12, 2:29am

That is funny. We were just talking about the resurgence of robber barons today at my house.

Gregg
7-13-12, 2:50pm
The main question seems to be when will it be time to go on strike? The frog's still sitting in the pot I guess...

try2bfrugal
7-13-12, 3:26pm
I think the best way to go on strike is to follow simple living ideas and and also do what you can to support your local economy. I feel like the less we spend the less money goes to big corporations. Buying from charity thrift shops what I can helps good causes and keeps the money local. When we do spend money these days we are making more of an effort to buy local and support local or at least regional businesses. I made a list last week of all of the places I tend to grocery shop and will give priority to the ones owned locally or at least regionally. My home loan is from a credit union. For investments I have been buying more TIPS and I bonds from Treasury direct so less of the money goes to Wall street.

Gregg
7-13-12, 3:53pm
Try2bfrugal, this is a political forum. Since you don't get to post as often as some of the rest of us we will cut you a little slack, but please try to limit your postings like the one above. I'm not sure there is a place in the current political landscape for calm, considerate, logical, reasonable, rational or thoughtful responses.

Lainey
7-13-12, 10:20pm
Try2bfrugal, this is a political forum. Since you don't get to post as often as some of the rest of us we will cut you a little slack, but please try to limit your postings like the one above. I'm not sure there is a place in the current political landscape for calm, considerate, logical, reasonable, rational or thoughtful responses.

Ha! Gregg - like your sense of humor.

gimmethesimplelife
7-13-12, 10:37pm
I think the best way to go on strike is to follow simple living ideas and and also do what you can to support your local economy. I feel like the less we spend the less money goes to big corporations. Buying from charity thrift shops what I can helps good causes and keeps the money local. When we do spend money these days we are making more of an effort to buy local and support local or at least regional businesses. I made a list last week of all of the places I tend to grocery shop and will give priority to the ones owned locally or at least regionally. My home loan is from a credit union. For investments I have been buying more TIPS and I bonds from Treasury direct so less of the money goes to Wall street.I myself am buying almost everything secondhand these days - exceptions being socks, underwear, sheets.....And am a big believer in credit unions, too. I am buying the meds I take for Blood Pressure and to prevent gout attacks in Mexico when I am able to get there, so I guess this is supporting large multi nationals but at least not at US prices. I am learning more about herbs and herbal medicines, and stock up on passionflower, damiana, and boldo when I am in Mexico, these herbs help the conditions I have and across the border they are much less.....Pretty much it's credit unions, outsourcing all I can medically, dentally, and optically to Mexico, secondhand on almost all, herbs over pharma when possible, BUT where I need help.....Food. Gotta work on that, buying locally and not supporting corporate agriculture as best I can. Rob

awakenedsoul
7-13-12, 10:47pm
I'm buying everything secondhand, too. I've been darning my socks. When I buy yarn for knitting, I buy one ball with a 40% off coupon. I wait to buy the second ball until the next week, when I have another 40% off coupon. Food is one of my biggest expenses. Organic co ops and CSA's are well priced. They often have fruit in bulk for $1.00 a pound. I stew the fruit and freeze it.

I don't buy anything from the corporations anymore, and it feels really good. Well, I do buy a few things a month at Costco, but that's it. Maybe I'll start making my own dog food again...

gimmethesimplelife
7-13-12, 10:52pm
I'm buying everything secondhand, too. I've been darning my socks. When I buy yarn for knitting, I buy one ball with a 40% off coupon. I wait to buy the second ball until the next week, when I have another 40% off coupon. Food is one of my biggest expenses. Organic co ops and CSA's are well priced. They often have fruit in bulk for $1.00 a pound. I stew the fruit and freeze it.

I don't buy anything from the corporations anymore, and it feels really good. Well, I do buy a few things a month at Costco, but that's it. Maybe I'll start making my own dog food again...Awakened Soul, you have inspired me.....I never would have thought about making dog food myself. I have two cats and am wondering now....hummmm....how hard would it be and how costly to try making cat food myself? Hmmmmmmm......Rob

try2bfrugal
7-13-12, 10:58pm

Sorry. I will try to be more inflammatory in my future posts. :)

bunnys
7-13-12, 11:06pm
I have two cats and am wondering now....hummmm....how hard would it be and how costly to try making cat food myself? Hmmmmmmm......Rob

Look it up first. Cats have special nutritional needs that are different than dogs. I looked this up years ago. Something about some substance they can only get from like animal eyeballs? Can't remember exactly but don't wing it. You could hurt them.

try2bfrugal
7-13-12, 11:25pm
I myself am buying almost everything secondhand these days - exceptions being socks, underwear, sheets.....And am a big believer in credit unions, too. I am buying the meds I take for Blood Pressure and to prevent gout attacks in Mexico when I am able to get there, so I guess this is supporting large multi nationals but at least not at US prices. I am learning more about herbs and herbal medicines, and stock up on passionflower, damiana, and boldo when I am in Mexico, these herbs help the conditions I have and across the border they are much less.....Pretty much it's credit unions, outsourcing all I can medically, dentally, and optically to Mexico, secondhand on almost all, herbs over pharma when possible, BUT where I need help.....Food. Gotta work on that, buying locally and not supporting corporate agriculture as best I can. Rob

Good point on the herbs and herbal medicines. We save a lot of money just by looking up natural remedies in holistic health and Ayurvedic books before we go to the doctor. We have had a higher success rate anyway with those kinds of remedies for many common maladies than we have with Western medicine. It is certainly cheaper. I have a huge stack of natural health and Eastern medicine books I collected over the years from library books sales for a few dollars a bag. I guess that is one more thing we do along the simple living lines that helps up to avoid giving money to corporations.

sweetana3
7-14-12, 6:27am
I save by only treating specific symptoms and trying the chicken soup, rest and fluids treatment. Almost all minor complaints are resolved with rest and time. Gargling with hot salt water, breathing steam, aspirin or alternative, etc. are all good.

For heavy duty cough (only nonproductive painful ones) I get a plain jane cough syrup or maybe one with an expectorant. Never had to buy more than one bottle.

Most(not all) GI symptoms correct in time as they are due to diet or stress. It is wise to look at diet and see if there are connections to symptoms.

I have to go the doctor for asthma but I am not going otherwise unless the problem is just so painful, spreading as in an infection, or an emergency like when I thought I had broken my leg and passed out.

awakenedsoul
7-14-12, 10:26am
Rob,
I've never made cat food, so I would be sure it's got the right nutrients as the above poster said. If you think of the rodents they eat, it sounds true. I remember when I was growing up Safeway had a special on jack mackerel. My dad was trying to save money so he bought a case of it instead of cat food. It stunk to high heaven! It was so gross...

One night my mom made tuna and noodles for dinner. I asked what we were having and my brother said, "jack mackerel and noodles." We both cracked up...