PDA

View Full Version : DOes anyone else just have "catastrophic insurance"?

oceanfamily
7-13-12, 1:40pm
We are self-employed and we are thinking about getting this type of insurance. Wondering if this would be the best way to go...

Aqua Blue
7-13-12, 5:01pm
I have a 5 K deductible mostly because it is what I can afford. One thing I find is I don't go to see someone when I probably should. For instance, I am currently on day 10 of a every single day migraine, It worries me some, is it something else?,

Float On
7-13-12, 5:32pm
Self-employeed.
Had $5000.00 per person deductable ($15,000 out of network per person) until we could no longer afford the premiums which went from $800 quarterly to $1200 monthly. Just didn't make sense anymore. We know we're running a huge risk but that's where we're at right now.

redfox
7-13-12, 7:02pm
Yup, & self-employed as well. Makes me anxious...

awakenedsoul
7-13-12, 7:54pm
I have it. I love it. I pay $125.00 a month. I have the highest deductible. I'm fortunate in that I'm very healthy and always have been. I practice a lot of self care: walking, yoga, physical therapy exercises at home, meditation, etc...I eat organically, too. My policy is with Anthem Blue Cross. All I've ever had is catastrophic and it's been plenty for me. I've been self employed most of my career.

iris lily
7-13-12, 9:14pm
I consider $5,000 to be a low deductible.

awakenedsoul
7-13-12, 10:51pm
Oh, then I have a low deductible. I think mine is $6,000. I'd have to check my policy.

oceanfamily
7-14-12, 2:41pm
Aqua Blue~ I'm sooo sorry to hear about your migraines. I too suffer with them. I was getting them quite often but I found out I was allergic to quite a few things and stopped putting those foods into my body and took out chocolate and caffeine and I'm seeing a GREAT inprovement. Just to let you know, in my research on migraines dairy and chocolate and caffeine are the MAJOR culprits. I'm not a doctor but you wouldn't hurt anything if tried eliminating those. If you are a heavy caffeine drinker you can taper off slowly to minimize a rebound headache. Hope your day is better today:)

lhamo
7-14-12, 9:04pm
Wow, I know we have good insurance but I didn't realize how good -- do other people also consider $5000 to be a low deductible? Our annual family deductible is $200, and annual out of pocket max is $1500. My insurance is fully paid, and I pay about $120/month for coverage for my family. My employer pays the rest (which I think is now around $800/month). It might make a difference that this is an expat policy, but in reality our medical bills are probably as high or higher than most US residents, because when we do have a serious enough problem to warrant seeing a doctor we tend to go to the expat-oriented hospital near us, which charges as much or more as US providers.

A better insurance plan is one of the reasons I was willing to take a paycut when I accepted this job. The policy that came with my previous job was with the same provider, but had much higher deductibles, out of pocket max, and monthly payments ($500 family deductible, $3000 out of pocket max, and $240/month for family coverage).

lhamo

Float On
7-14-12, 9:29pm
I consider $5,000 to be a low deductible.

Really?
Per person?
When husband worked for a company our deductible was $1,200.00 total for all four of us. And then they paid 100% beyond that.
Our $5,000.00 per person was 80/20 beyond that.

iris lily
7-14-12, 11:59pm
Yes I consider $5,000 per person to be low for catastrophic insurance. That's why it's called catastrophic.