PDA

View Full Version : The Artists Way - want to do it with others?

razz
7-13-12, 4:55pm
I have heard about the Artists Way for a number of years and always thought that someday I would make the time to do the 12 week course.
Other SLF threads recently have mentioned interest and challenges in doing the program.
I went to the local library book sale and there on the shelf was a perfectly new looking Artist's Way. I snapped it up and decided that it was time to go through the exercise.
Anyone want to do it with me over the 12 weeks and talk about the roller coaster experience of doing it?

iris lily
7-13-12, 9:20pm
That's an interesting offer. I can't do it, but would be interested in reading about those of you who take it up.

Tussiemussies
7-13-12, 9:27pm
I would like to join in but first I need to purchase the book which might take about a week...

catherine
7-13-12, 9:28pm
So, what do you have in mind? Just different threads for each week, and we can weigh in on our progress? If it's not too constraining, I can do it...

It would be fun to have the support and sharing.

nswef
7-13-12, 9:40pm
I used the library copy several times, then finally bought my own. I would read what others are doing but won't commit to anything...problem with me, not the group!

razz
7-14-12, 6:46am
The bok says that you can do it with others and talk about the experience - sort of like doing with a class and reporting highs, lows, challenges and successes is how I see it being done.

Getting a corner of my own is going to be the first challenge right off. Our house is a simple ramch just under 1400 sf but wide open concept. I have wanted a corner of my own for some time (like years really) to do my morning meditation but how to make it work, hmmm?

nswef
7-15-12, 1:39pm
I just use the dining room table, but there are only two of us.

danna
7-15-12, 1:44pm
I will try to order from Library I would love to join in...

chord_ata
7-15-12, 5:30pm
Just a heads up. The toughest commitment about is setting enough time each day to fill three pages of line paper of your thoughts. Minimum twenty minutes (I think). Could be a lot more if your brain isn't always teaming with thoughts when you have pen in hand.

Tussiemussies
7-15-12, 10:30pm
I agree the tough part will be the journaling. Is there some way around that part?

Valley
7-15-12, 10:36pm
Actually, the journaling is one of the main parts of this exercise.

chord_ata
7-16-12, 1:07pm
I agree the tough part will be the journaling. Is there some way around that part?

Not if you want to follow the program.

I did not though. I just copied the pages that had the exercises and key points to review them through future months.

Some folks consider the course a bit too new-agey to be believable. However, in that case, if you re-interpret the exercises as ways to leave the left brain for the right brain, there is probably enough material for everyone to get some value out of this.

nswef
7-17-12, 5:11pm
I agree that the journaling is the key. Without that I'm not sure if one gets a full benefit. But, I skipped many of the exercises and still feel I made some growth. So, each one will do what is needed.

Tussiemussies
7-17-12, 8:38pm
Hi Razz, although I love the idea of doing this, I'm going to have to back out since I don't have time for the journaling.
Sounds like a lot of fun though..,

nswef
7-18-12, 2:37pm
I find that the journaling takes nearly 30 minutes- I do use a wide ruled spiral- not college ruled!!! I'm not sure if I could even think of doing it if I were still working. I know that on days I have something scheduled early, I'll not write, or I'll write but skip my meditation. I'm am very lucky to have the time, but think perhaps if you don't have the time it is more important to try to find the time.

KayLR
7-18-12, 3:56pm
I did this a couple years ago, and after about 4-5 days, really liked doing the journaling. It's a mind-dump which actually leads to something. I still have the books, but I'm not sure I can commit right now either. So much going on in my life right now. I may be a bit voyeuristic though, and drop in to read your discussions once in a while...I like the notion of doing it with others.

Mer05
7-18-12, 9:14pm
Cool idea! I've got the book and would be willing to run through it again with a group. (Added incentive: for any creative writers among us, it's just over three months until NaNoWriMo.)

On the journaling - there's value in doing it strictly by the book: if nothing else, you haven't gotten into the habit of negotiating parts of the system that seem difficult. On the other hand, the goal (I think!) for morning pages is to build a habit by doing a measurable amount of work, every single day. So maybe fiddling with the details - how to measure (pages vs. time), time of day - is better than doing something you'll drop like a hot potato in twelve weeks, or not starting?

This is a very silly thing, I found it made a difference: a pen that writes very easily, like a gel pen (not ballpoint). I used pencil for the first twelve weeks, then bought a pack of pens. (Colored pens! Why not?)

razz
7-18-12, 10:17pm
OK, for those willing to go for it, what about starting August 1? I have to get my DGS back to his home, a meditation space and a notebook organized. Like the idea of an easy writing pen.
It is so hot at present that it sometimes seems hard to think beyond the basic watering of the garden and basic maintenance.

frugalone
7-18-12, 11:10pm
I did the journaling at one point and found it put me in a lousy mood! It wasn't really a "mind dump" so much as it was stirring up crap!

I've always been intrigued by this program, though, and I think I still have the book somewhere. Maybe I'll try again?

razz
7-19-12, 7:12am
I did the journaling at one point and found it put me in a lousy mood! It wasn't really a "mind dump" so much as it was stirring up crap!

I've always been intrigued by this program, though, and I think I still have the book somewhere. Maybe I'll try again?
I think that it might be a way of listening to what you are thinking without judgement. Sort of, "hmmm so that is what is circulating through my head right now".

JaneV2.0
7-19-12, 10:52am
I had the same experience as frugalone, so I'm not interested in revisiting the morning pages--at least not in the same way. I would probably get more out of it if I limited myself to project ideas, musings about the nature of art and work, quick sketches, quotations and inspiration, nature observations, and the like.

Gardenarian
7-19-12, 11:40am

I felt the same when I wrote in the morning. Now I write when the urge strikes me and it is going much better. In the morning my mind is revved up and focussed on the coming day (a great time to write lists; not so great for pondering ideas.) Another thing that helped was to use the word "I" as little as possible. This cuts out a lot of my whining.

Here is a link to writing without using "I". (http://elearning.homestead.com/first_person_writing.htm)

Gardenarian
7-19-12, 4:04pm
Also, thanks to whoever mentioned using a rollerball pen - I just tried one at work and, Voila! So much more comfortable!

nswef
7-19-12, 5:29pm
I agree that the writing implement makes a difference. August 1 sound like a good date to start. It will be enjoyable and interesting to see how others react. I've never been much of a group, sharing of ideas, so it will be a new beyond my comfort level experience. Thanks for starting this.

Dhiana
7-19-12, 7:42pm
This is a wonderful idea Razz. The Artist's Way has been a HUGE help to me both times I've gone through the book. Once in a classroom setting with about 10 others and once through online, both with the same creativity coach.

"There's no wrong way to do morning pages." Julia Cameron

The Morning Pages were not easy for me. My medium is fibers & metals, I'm not a writer and despite being a voracious reader I have no interest in being a writer. But I trudged through it the first couple of months and it really helped to just throw down all those thoughts rolling around in my head. It helped me see that all 17 ideas I would have for a project are not feasible and I could narrow it down to 5 great ideas.
By the end of the class my Morning Pages were only one page long at most but the result was the same; all the thoughts rolling around in my head, good or bad, were exorcised onto paper and I could focus on my goals more.

Now that the second class has been done for several months I still do morning pages but only about twice per week and usually about half a page. Make the program work for you and your personal needs.

"There's no wrong way to do morning pages." You'll find what works best for you. Maybe they are most effective for you in the evening...Maybe you are so angry one day that all you can do is draw big dark angry faces for 3 pages. Really, she does say, "There's no wrong way to do morning pages." in the book.

I'd also recommend only doing a couple of the exercises per chapter before moving on to the next. Doing ALL the exercises at the end of each chapter can easily prove to be too exhausting.

Have a wonderful time going through the Artist's Way :)
Dhiana

Mer05
7-28-12, 10:27am
I just remembered another option for morning pages - http://750words.com/ (750words.com). Typing is faster than writing generally, and this site has a number of neat bells and whistles. Also, it's a little more secure than paper notebooks, if you live with people who you wouldn't want reading them.

I'm sticking with paper, because I am easily distracted by shiny internets. I did find a new notebook, though! It is fancy (fake leather, ribbon bookmark)... but it's a tie-in from the third Pirates of the Caribbean film, so there's a large portrait of Captain Jack Sparrow on the cover. Arr.

razz
7-29-12, 6:56am
OK, August 1 is it. I have my scribblers and a spot to contemplate. The next two weeks are not over committed so I should be able to get properly started and in the flow.

Stacy
7-29-12, 12:23pm
Ooh, looks like I found this post just it time. I did The Artist's Way about 15 years old and it was tremendously helpful in bringing out my creativity. Also, the Morning Pages were a great way to unload about some problems in my life that were bogging me down. I was thinking about running through the program again, and here you are! Count me in. :)