PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Developments.....

gimmethesimplelife
7-13-12, 9:08pm
Just wanted to post here that I have had some interesting developments take place very recently. First, I was laid off my serving job, something that does not really surprise me in a way and in a way I did not see it coming so I was surprised, if this makes any sense. So I of course filed for unemployment right away, and found out that I may qualify for a Workforce Development Grant to go to school and get an eighteen month certificate....Quite exciting as I might be able to study web design, something I am very interested in. I have an appointment on July 26th for the orientation session for this program, we'll see what happens....Looks like once I get caught up with helping my Mom with her house I will have time to do that blog I mentioned.....A lot of change in a short period of time, which is something I don't do well with, but not necc bad change, just change.....Rob

Valley
7-13-12, 9:11pm
Best of luck on your schooling opportunity Rob. Sometimes the most surprising and/or confusing times in life bring us opportunities that we never even imagined would be possible!

iris lily
7-13-12, 9:11pm
Rob a change in jobs will be interesting for you. But please--assume that any 18 month certificate will lead to a job market jammed with graduates. Please realistically and carefully investigate the job market. But if you are very interested in the work that's an important first step.

I am interested to know what salary range they quote you at the school. My bet is that it is overly high.

Tussiemussies
7-13-12, 9:12pm
Sounds like that old saying -- when one door closes another opens up. What a great opportunity for you to be able to possibly get some schooling in something you really want to do. Plus then have time for your blog. Sounds like things are moving in a great direction for you. :cool:

ApatheticNoMore
7-13-12, 9:20pm
If it's a for-profit college be VERY skeptical (even if you aren't paying) - quality of education is often very questionable. Do your research. If it's a state college - even if it's just an adult certificate program given through a state college and not even tax subsidized - those tend to be of decent quality (although I guess I only really know about CA not AZ - but I've seem them here and they are good). Doing the research never hurts regardless though. Good luck.

gimmethesimplelife
7-13-12, 9:59pm
If it's a for-profit college be VERY skeptical (even if you aren't paying) - quality of education is often very questionable. Do your research. If it's a state college - even if it's just an adult certificate program given through a state college and not even tax subsidized - those tend to be of decent quality (although I guess I only really know about CA not AZ - but I've seem them here and they are good). Doing the research never hurts regardless though. Good luck.Hi Apathetic NM! The program is through Rio Solado Community College here in Phoenix, which is accredited and is in the Maricopa Community College System. It is not a fly by night type of school by any means, though I don't think that I will be making the money they are quoting upon graduation. For me it is more a way out of waiting tables, and given that my bills are down to $760 a month now to keep everything current, I really don't need to make that much anyway. It would be a great skill to perhaps start at least a PT business with, and like I said, any moment away from waiting tables is probably a good thing for me at this point. Rob

gimmethesimplelife
7-13-12, 10:03pm
Rob a change in jobs will be interesting for you. But please--assume that any 18 month certificate will lead to a job market jammed with graduates. Please realistically and carefully investigate the job market. But if you are very interested in the work that's an important first step.

I am interested to know what salary range they quote you at the school. My bet is that it is overly high.I am thinking the money they are quoting is unrealistic for me, yes, but I have spoken to people who freelance in this who are able to make a go of it and have more control over their time and be their own boss, and that really appeals to me. That and the fact that I can be a nomad if I want....The fact that my bills are down to $760/month can only help me if I get the grant as I don't have to make as much money as many other folks do....Rob

ApatheticNoMore
7-14-12, 1:14am
The program is through Rio Solado Community College here in Phoenix, which is accredited and is in the Maricopa Community College System. It is not a fly by night type of school by any means, though I don't think that I will be making the money they are quoting upon graduation

sounds good, I like the community colleges (of course none of this means there will actually be jobs but ...at least should be a good education)

sweetana3
7-14-12, 6:20am
There are some really great community colleges out there and they fit a niche that is very important. Ours, Ivy Tech, seems to network heavily with business and government to keep its graduates "out there". In NC, one of the community colleges has the first Veterinary Technology programs in the country. Hard to get into and in demand.

Of course, there are also a lot of programs that are scams and it is wise to do a lot of reasearch as you have.

iris lily
7-14-12, 7:58am
That is great that your expenses are so low, and using web design as free-lance, part time combined with other income streams will work for you.

Mrs-M
7-16-12, 10:33am
However the chips fall, Rob, I want you to know that you are well-thought of. Wishing you all the best.

try2bfrugal
7-16-12, 11:06am
Good luck on your new career. I went to our local community college to learn web skills and it has worked out well. I started out just making my own sites and did volunteer web site work to build up a portfolio.

RosieTR
7-21-12, 10:04am
Great news, Rob!!! The best part is that if you are able to get into the web design stuff you may have just as much, if not more, flexibility in your living arrangements and schedule. Woot! Glad to see things are looking up-I know you've had some ups and downs these last couple years esp with the economy and jobs.

gimmethesimplelife
7-26-12, 10:25pm
Hi everyone, just wanted to post an update. I would love to say that my appointment went well but it was rescheduled for August 9th.....so I have been applying for jobs both at the local job search office (free faxes there!) and at home online. Methinks there will be some kind of large change coming in my life as lately I have been incredibly tired - really just struggling to get anything done. This seems to happen to me in periods of change and transition, so we shall see....Rob And thanks everyone for your kind words!

fidgiegirl
7-27-12, 12:10am
Rob, are you able to say what kind of area you're interested in training for? Or did I miss it?

gimmethesimplelife
7-27-12, 9:26am
Rob, are you able to say what kind of area you're interested in training for? Or did I miss it?Hi Fidgiegirl. I am trying to get on Title WIA to study web design. Am thinking since my bills are so low I can do this perhaps P/T and then have other income streams on the side and do ok for myself that way.....Rob

shadowmoss
7-27-12, 9:38am
Rob: did you see the link I posted to the HP website that has some free tutorials on web design? Also, code academy has beginning tutorials that include an online editor to practice what they are teaching. The classes could go a lot easier, and you could get more out of them if you start studying now, perhaps? Knowing basic HTML, XHTML and CSS is always a good thing. Then again, I'm a geeek. If you are interested I can dig up some more free resources for getting started learning this stuff.