PDA

View Full Version : Make a shower curtain out of a bed sheet?

CathyA
7-16-12, 3:46pm
I've been looking for a cream-colored shower curtain with ferns on it, but haven't seen any anywhere. I started thinking that maybe I'd have more to choose from if I looked for a bed sheet with that design, and made my own shower curtain.
Have any of you ever done that? I think I would just have to turn the end over and make some buttonholes, right?

sweetana3
7-16-12, 4:36pm
yes. so long as the measurements are ok. you could even put in grommets since they are pretty easy.

I once made bedroom curtains from fancy really cheap Chinese embroidered tablecloths. It was around $25 a window for full length drapes.

redfox
7-16-12, 4:48pm
Get a simple polyester or nylon fabric liner for it to preserve its useful life. They are washable!

Float On
7-16-12, 7:35pm
I've used bedsheets a lot in making shower curtains. I always use a liner for inside the tub but for the exterior side a shower curtain is just fabric that is hanging there. Use whatever you want. Currently in my hall bath I'm using window drapes because it was the right colors and look I wanted.

CathyA
7-16-12, 7:47pm
Thanks everyone!

JaneV2.0
7-16-12, 8:48pm
You could start with a light-colored sheet and stamp or stencil a fern design on it, as well.
http://www.thefind.com/crafts/info-fern-stamps

CathyA
7-16-12, 9:10pm
Thanks Jane! what a neat site. I've been looking for some fern botanical prints to put in a 3-section frame I have and those stamps might work great! I wanted to use a cream background and most of the prints came in white. So I could use whatever paper I wanted and stamp it myself! Cool!
I'll have to read up on stamping fabric.......but that is a great idea too! Thanks!

Mrs-M
7-20-12, 9:52am
Ditto, Jane! That is exactly what I would do.

Additionally, CathyA, I would look for a waterproof spray-protector you can use to treat the fabric with after you're done.

domestic goddess
7-23-12, 11:39am
I've done this lots of time over the years. I have usually used grommets, as I don't sew enough to be able to make buttonholes. The neat thing is you can have any design you want by using stamps, stencils, transfers, embroidery, applique, piecing, beads, or whatever craft you may like to add. You can be as simple or elaborate as you like. Have added ribbons and other trims at various times in the past, too. Then you are not bound to whatever is "stylish" at the moment. Use a liner and use a protector on the surface of your curtain, if needed, and you are good to go!

BayouGirl
9-20-12, 8:19pm
What a great idea! I have often used single flat sheets to make curtains because they are inexpensive, come in so many colors and prints and are bigger than fabric bought off the bold at the store. Then the curtains match the sheets on the bed. But I hadn't thought of using them to make a shower curtain.

sweetana3
9-20-12, 9:47pm
Check out cheap Chinese embroidered tableclothes for use as shower curtains, regular curtains, etc. I used them in my bedroom. Turned over the short edge until they were the right lenght and then sewed two lines for a rod pocket. That was all it took and I had a curtain with valance and a ruffled top edge. I think each tablecloth was $10-15 on sale.