PDA

View Full Version : Man paints lawn green...........

CathyA
7-17-12, 8:28am
In a city close to us, a man spray-painted his lawn green, 'cause he didn't like the brown look that the drought is giving him. and it only cost about $5-600. :0!
Only in America? I have to just shake my head.

sweetana3
7-17-12, 8:52am
I just saw that on TV. He says he has had many offers to do it for others.

Float On
7-17-12, 9:19am
Hasn't that been done in the southwest for years? Seems I remember seeing ads for it when we were out that way and it was usually $300 for their 'average' size lawn. Something about homeowner associations out there requiring either rock landscape or green lawns (no brown grass allowed).
I've always disliked people moving into this area and dumping loads of riverrock pebbles for their low care yards buts its begining to look more natural all the time.

creaker
7-17-12, 9:25am
Reminds of that product you'd spray to "paint" the bald spot on your head.

I wonder what kind of chemicals are gassing off your lawn after a procedure like that?

goldensmom
7-17-12, 9:40am
I've not heard of painting grass. I've always taken burned up grass as an opportunity to not mow for a while until it greens up again. I did spray paint a stoney area green once because I wanted it to have the appearance of grass and was teased for doing it.

Gregg
7-17-12, 10:58am
I did spray paint a stoney area green once because I wanted it to have the appearance of grass and was teased for doing it.

There are lots of folks in Arizona that paint their rock "lawns" green. I've heard there are some services that will come back every year to give you a touch up so your lawn remains "Tru Green".

ApatheticNoMore
7-17-12, 11:58am
As if people have never heard of making more drought tolerant landscapes >8) A somewhat drought tolerant landscape here is actually THE natural landscape, that which natural creatures (birds etc.) will be at home in. But yea green spray painted rocks that sounds so much better (sarcasm). I also hate artificial grass, so any worms you have in your soil are probably dying under yards of plastic artificial grass, sounds wonderful (sarcasm). I think some lawns here would have a natural tendency to revert to oak groves if one wasn't constantly removing the seedlings. And that wouldn't be too bad either. Grass is afterall a mostly useless substance (though I can see having some area for kids to play on) and I suppose like all plants it releases oxygen etc., spray painted rocks are however an even more useless substance!

JaneV2.0
7-17-12, 12:50pm
On a Living With Ed episode, he put in a small area of recycled fake grass. It looked much better than AstroTurf.

I understand the need for a play area (for animals and adults, too--not just kids), but there are more and more varieties of ground cover that can take a lot of wear yet require less maintenance than traditional turf. I don't like big expanses of lawn (and anal-retentive landscaping in general) and I hate the sound of mowers with a white-hot passion.They can't become unfashionable fast enough to suit me.

Tussiemussies
7-17-12, 9:40pm
This is just too funny, but putting that aside I'm sure it damages the land and life underneath it.

RosieTR
7-17-12, 11:50pm
People did that here in CO during the 2002 drought. OTOH, I took the opportunity to xeriscape my front yard after that year, and I can't say I regret it! Esp since the bees like the flowering plants so much more than grass so we're hoping for a good honey harvest. We left grass in the backyard since it's too sloped for me to do without an expert's opinion and help, but going on ~3 weeks without mowing :)

sweetana3
7-18-12, 5:33am
One of our neighbors put in drought resistant plants LAST YEAR in some smaller beds in her front yard and they appear to be doing fine. We kind of thought it was strange for a midwestern city but maybe they knew something?

CathyA
7-18-12, 7:19am
Its funny how most of the weeds are doing the best of anything else!

JaneV2.0
7-18-12, 10:49am
No surprise: the "weeds" are native plants that are supposed to be growing where people plant a bunch of tortured cultivars in their place.

Here's an article on homeowners growing fake meadows after poisoning the hell out of the land around their houses to make way for a "natural" look:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303754904577530851855675044.html

Weston
7-19-12, 3:52pm
When I was in law school in Miami back in the late 1970's we always knew when the American Bar Association accreditation committee was coming for a visit. The janitorial staff would get busy a few days earlier spray painting the grass around the school.

CathyA
7-19-12, 3:53pm
To me, its just plain silly. I mean, really.

Tiam
8-4-12, 3:57am
xeno gardens have been the "In" thing for years in the southwest. Letting lawn space become victory gardens should be next. Not nearly as much watering a lawn.

catherine
8-4-12, 6:35am
No surprise: the "weeds" are native plants that are supposed to be growing where people plant a bunch of tortured cultivars in their place.

Here's an article on homeowners growing fake meadows after poisoning the hell out of the land around their houses to make way for a "natural" look:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303754904577530851855675044.html

That's too much. I guess a step in the right direction if only people could delay gratification a year and spend the time going the cardboard/heavy mulch route. What do the think the chances of that would be?