PDA

View Full Version : Car-less once a week challenge

Rogar
7-18-12, 11:47am
My community has an interesting program going. They are challenging people to substitute alternate transportation at least once a week on a trip they would normally drive. Bicycling, walking, or public transportation. They have a web site where you can log in your transportation mode, mileage, and number of trips and are offering some decent prizes that I think will be given somewhat at random to the participants.

At least during the warm months I am already using my bicycle for many errands so it isn't a new challenge, but it might be a good one for when the weather gets cooler and a little more difficult to bike. Perhaps a good one for others as a less formal personal challenge?

awakenedsoul
7-18-12, 1:29pm
I use my car once a week. The rest of the time I ride my bicycle or take the bus or train. I'm really used to it now. It's pretty easy to do here, because our winters are mild. The summer heat can get intense, but I'm within 3 miles of everything I need, so it's not that bad. Combining trips really helps me, too.

try2bfrugal
7-18-12, 2:12pm
We work at home and group errands so we actually have a lot of no drive days. We also live a mile away from a post office, bank and grocery store so we walk to do a lot of our errands.

Tiam
8-8-12, 12:16am
I do try and ride my bike to work in the fall when I return to work. I admit, I'm a complete wuss when it's really cold and wet. Does anyone here bicycle in poor weather? And how do you manage that?

redfox
8-8-12, 12:40am
DH & I did an auto transport Sabbath for about a year. We walked everywhere. It was fantastic.

mira
9-29-12, 5:56am
How is the challenge going, Rogar? Is there good public transport in your area?

Tussiemussies
9-29-12, 4:04pm
Hardly drive my car at all but keeping it just for the freedom in case I need/want it. It's so funny I hardly drive at all that my car needs to be jumped every here and there because of not using it.

Went to get my car inspected and I got all the way to the end, passed, they put my sticker on and then my car wouldn't start. They pushed my car outside, still kept my passing sticker. Thank goodness my husband was with me and that there was an auto shop across the street on the next corner. It wa embarrassing but funny! We got a new battery but it is time to start up the car again and take it for a ride. :)

Florence
9-29-12, 6:52pm
I have committed to leaving my car in the garage 3 days a week. We live out in the country and there is no public transportation. About the best I can do is combine trips and drive as little as possible.

Rogar
9-30-12, 7:03pm
How is the challenge going, Rogar? Is there good public transport in your area?

I have it sort of easy since I don't commute to work. The public transportation in my area is not very conducive for errands, but I have a decent net work of bike trails and lanes. I have probably only used my car three days a week and my bike computer says I've put on about a thousand miles since early June. Some for pleasure, but I can do about half my shopping and other errands by bike.

I could not resist one vacation during the summer. I drove about a half day into the mountains and camped and hiked for several days. I normally take some driving vacations during the summer and it was a cut back.

I know there are others here who do a better job than me, but I've achieved my personal goals so far. It would be hard to estimate how many fewer miles I drove compared to other years, but at least several hundred miles. I probably won't do so well now that winter is on the horizon.

Spartana
10-3-12, 2:45pm
I try to do carless and money less (i.e. no spending) at least once a week - sometimes more often if possible. I'd love to be totally car free but with a dog I find that's impossible. But since I'm retired and can ride my bike most everywhere I can be semi-carless often. Back when I lived in a smaller, very condensed town it was easier. here in the urban sprawl of SoCal it's hard to be carless or even ride your bike everywhere because of the killer (litterally) traffic!

ctg492
10-19-12, 1:29pm
Tiam, I am going to ride this winter in Mi. I have always ridden till the snow falls then I whimp. This year I have put studded tires on my winter bike. I have through trial and error of the last few years, got the clothing correct I do hope. I have ridden in the wind and rain the last few days. Just got back from a trip to the market 22 round trip, sprinkles and wind as fall is here.
I visit cycling boards that have commuter sections and I pass people daily I know commute all winter. I am amazed at the commitment of these riders. SO is it possible, sure if one has the desire. Fun? Well as I tell myself as I headed into the wind today, It is Journey not the Distination I am enjoying.