PDA

View Full Version : Egg Substitutes

Merski
7-26-12, 7:40am
Does anyone have the Amy D. Frugal Gazette egg substitution for eggs using wheat gluten? A friend at work could use it in baking for hubbie who has a mild egg allergy. Thanks!!!

Kestrel
7-26-12, 1:26pm
I have "mild" egg allergy -- to whites, not yolks -- but I don't do anything other than not eat eggs. We don't do gluten either, so using that as a substitute wouldn't work for us. However, occasionally we say "what the heck" and eat gluten, and for me eggs and dairy, anyway with no ill effects that we know of :-D. Sorry I can't be of any help -- good luck!

Square Peg
7-26-12, 1:58pm
I don't know about wheat gluten, but she had one using soy flour: one heaping tablespoon soy flour in 1 cup water.

mira
7-26-12, 2:46pm
This might not be any use to you either, since I don't know about how to replace eggs with wheat gluten, but you can use bananas and apple sauce in many cakes and sweet breads instead of eggs.

Merski
7-27-12, 7:11am
Square Peg- I believe it was soy flour and water now that you mention it that amy D. mentioned as a sub. Thank you all for your ideas. There is also a product called ener-G that I just found out about.

CathyA
7-27-12, 7:28am
I second Ener-G. My DD is VEGAN and I use this for baking when she comes and it works great. The main ingredients are Potato Starch, and tapioca flour.

creaker
7-27-12, 7:59am
Chia seeds are supposed to be able to be used as an egg substitute.

Rosemary
7-27-12, 8:04am
1T flax meal in 3T water is another egg sub. Mix well and leave for about 5 minutes until it looks gelatinous. Same thing for chia seeds.

Kestrel
7-27-12, 4:23pm
I add chia and flax to stuff all the time, but didn't know about the egg substitution. Interesting -- thanks!

Tussiemussies
7-27-12, 4:54pm
I have also used the ENER-G product in the past and it worked really well.