PDA

View Full Version : ahhhhh, never mind

Zoe Girl
8-2-12, 8:57am
So my subaru victory is a bust. I got the tune up and paid the late fees, and it wasn't even able to be tested for emissions. There was an oil leak so they would not test it. Basically anything short of a new motor and they will not be able to test. There is a deal where if you fail emissions twice and have spent $715 then you can get it waived, but if I cannot even get it to test without a new motor then I cannot qualify.

In any case the mechanic gave a goodlooking over this time and i have to agree with him. I found an engine online for $1,000 with free shipping and i will check to see what the labor costs would be. It would still have a 15 yo body and a 15 yo suspension system and all that.

Can I express some irritation that my mom and aunt are just assuming I am going to trade it in and get a loan, and this is a kid car that is not my essential transportation. Um no way. My mom is visiting and even wanted to spoil her day staying around to pick up my daughter from work so she wouldn't have to wait for me while Ideal with this. I guess that is nice but my daughter delayed getting the emissions for a week and now we are all going to have to deal with the one car thing again,

bunnys
8-2-12, 9:13am
Sorry. That's a drag.

Valley
8-2-12, 11:21am
I'm sorry that it didn't work the way you had planned...hang in there Anne!

rodeosweetheart
8-8-12, 4:52pm
[QUOTE=Zoe Girl;93693]So my subaru victory is a bust. I got the tune up and paid the late fees, and it wasn't even able to be tested for emissions. There was an oil leak so they would not test it. Basically anything short of a new motor and they will not be able to test. There is a deal where if you fail emissions twice and have spent $715 then you can get it waived, but if I cannot even get it to test without a new motor then I cannot qualify.

Just a thought--I had problems with my Impreza, check engine light would not go off, and it turned out to be a leak in the throat to the gas tank--hard to explain, but it di dnot need a new engine. Apparently if you live in a snowy climate with lots of road salt it is a common problem in Subarus--I figured it out using the schematics online and sleuthing through computer report numbers of what was showing up bad.

It'w worth checking out--ending up costing around 600, Ibought the parts and hadmechanic put it in, but unforunately, it died a year and a half later. It would have needed a new engine at that point--maybe that is where you are already.

Something to check. . . I loved that car.