PDA

View Full Version : Quesadillas!

puglogic
2-2-11, 10:57pm
Am I the only one who is crazy about quesadillas?

Locally, there's a company that produces fantastic organic whole-wheat tortillas - no fillers, no gunk, just really good tortillas. For an easy fast meal, there's nothing I like better than to put one in the cast iron skillet, pile on some mixture of cheese, veggie, bean, salsa, slap another tortilla on top, and flip it 'til golden brown. Cut into wedges, moosh on some fresh avocado, perhaps a dollop of plain yogurt, and I am in seventh heaven for perhaps a dollar.

Tonight I made them with baked/mashed sweet potatoes, black beans, chipotle salsa, and muenster cheese. Wildly good.

Anyone else a quesadilla fan?

loosechickens
2-2-11, 11:44pm
That's a fairly regular quick lunch at our house......big quesadilla fans here, too.......on Trader Joe's organic whole wheat/corn tortillas, cooked in a dry cast iron skillet, also.

Greg44
2-3-11, 12:40am
I will cook some up and even have them cold in my lunch the next day. Simple and good. Sounds good for watching the commercials on Sunday oh I mean
the Super Bowl!

Bootsie
2-3-11, 1:05am
My kids dance around when I tell them I'm making quesadillas for lunch. They laugh when I tell them I didn't even know what a quesadilla was when I was a kid. :)

flowerseverywhere
2-3-11, 7:08am
next time try making your own tortillas. I started making all my baked goods and they weren't hard to conquer. Just take a little practice. then you know exactly what is in them.
There are recipes all over the internet.

I keep canned beans and rotel tomatoes in the cupboard for an emergency meal. I drain the tomaotes, rinse the beans and mix for the filling. A little good cheese on top and a very quick cupboard meal.

They are also good with bacon, potatoes and eggs, or with leftover chicken or steak pieces with some mushroom, peppers, onions and chedder cheese.

as long as we are on the subject, anyone have any good burrito recipes?

Rosemary
2-3-11, 8:17am
I made some quesadillas this summer when a friend who doesn't cook much was visiting with her son. They were fairly simple - cheese, turkey, and some black beans, I think. Her son said to me, "This must be your best cooking!" as he devoured the pieces.

Stella
2-3-11, 8:37am
I like quesadillas. We make them around here pretty often. DH especially. It's a variation on his other standard lunch, the grilled cheese sandwich. :) Thanks for putting this thought into my head today. I have some leftover roasted chicken, some tortillas, some cheese and some salsa. I think we may have chicken quesadillas for lunch.

H-work
2-3-11, 8:38am
I often have them for lunch. I make them in my foreman grill, that way both sides cook at the same time. I learned from Cook's Illustrated to pre-grill the tortillas a little bit, then butter and salt the tops, then assemble and grill. They come out crispy the way I like them. I dunk them in pineapple salsa mixed with sour cream.

Gregg
2-3-11, 10:13am
My kids dance around when I tell them I'm making quesadillas for lunch. They laugh when I tell them I didn't even know what a quesadilla was when I was a kid. :)

Lol...I didn't either, but have made up for lost time. We make them all the time with whatever is in the fridge. Made one the other night for DW with smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers and a little fresh fennel. She loved it so much that...well, lets just say that a happy wife is a happy life.

treehugger
2-3-11, 12:10pm
Ever since I was little, quesadillas were a staple meal, way more so than grilled cheese sandwiches.

And now, as an adult, it's the same story. We always have tortillas in the house (Trader Joe's is the only place I can find them without partially-hydrogenated oils in them; I really do intend to try making them soon), as well as cheddar cheese and beans (used to always buy canned refried beans, but now I make crockpots full of pinto beans to keep in the freezer). Then whatever else is in the fridge that needs to be used up and/or looks good. Quick, easy, filling, delicious. Couldn't live without 'em! :)

loosechickens
2-3-11, 5:25pm
when I was younger, I made my own tortillas, both flour and corn (even had a little corn tortilla press), but these days, I just end up getting them at Trader Joe's........laziness has taken over (or lots of time spent on the internet, hahahaha)

If my only choices were the supermarket type ones with all the crap in them, I'd still take the trouble to make my own, but........

Rosemary
2-3-11, 7:01pm
I usually buy tortillas at TJ's, too. I've not tried to make whole wheat tortillas, but I have made corn tortillas many times... I keep a bag of masa in the freezer for when I'm out of corn tortillas. I don't have a tortilla press, and I have to say that trying to roll out a perfect, or even a substandard, corn tortilla is a real hassle. Is there some secret I'm missing? I roll it between plastic wrap or silpats, and it is just very difficult - cracks and sticks and falls apart.

Gregg
2-3-11, 11:25pm
A tortilla press is a HUGE help for me. We have a 8" cast iron version that was around $20 brand new. Must be 20 year old now, but I think they are still about the same price.

Azure
2-4-11, 12:23am
Quesadillas are on my menu plan for this pay period. I think I'm going to cook some pork roast w/rotel. Cheese, onions, gr. peppers. Yummy.

loosechickens
2-4-11, 1:22am
Rosemary.....cracks and splits and falls apart is probably not enough water, even a tiny bit makes a difference. I still remember how intimidated I was when first in Guatemala, trying to learn to make tortillas, when every five or six year old girl in town could do it effortlessly.....some even at four years old.......just slapping 'em back and forth in their hands, no press or waxed paper or anything.......just ONE of the many times I've been made to feel inadequate by young kids elsewhere.......

like the six year olds on a beach in Mexico who could clean fish with a machete, really, really well, as well as open a coconut and get the meat out easily........ and who looked at me as though I were very, very slow when I had trouble doing it.........