PDA

View Full Version : Prepaid cell phones

frugalone
9-12-12, 5:51pm
Hi, I hope this isn't a silly question.

I'm thinking about switching from our contract cell phones to prepaid or pay-as-you go. So far I've done a google search and come up with prepaids that cost nearly or more than what I am paying per month for two phones! (we don't have smart phones or anything really fancy).

Am I misunderstanding the terms "prepaid" and "pay-as-you-go"? Any recommendations? Thanks!

frugalone
9-12-12, 5:55pm
Edit: Wait, I think I'm getting it. They're two differnet things, aren't they? What I'm interested in is pay-as-you-go. Found some good sites (ie Tracphone and Virgin).

iris lily
9-12-12, 5:57pm
Why does yoour household need two phones?

do you have a landline?

Miss Cellane
9-12-12, 6:00pm
I've got a basic plan with Virgin Mobile. The phone cost $50 (although you can get much fancier phones, including the iPhone). The cost per month was $25, but it has gone up to $35. That covers 300 minutes of phone use and unlimited text and internet. My phone doesn't do the internet very well, but in a pinch, I can download map directions or such (a better phone would give better internet access). You can either remember to pay every month or set up automatic billing.

I've had the phone for two years now and haven't had any issues with either the phone or the service.

frugalone
9-12-12, 6:15pm
Yes, we do (for the Internet). There are two of us=two phones. When I got my plan from my last employer, that was the deal (and so was the price we are still paying after 10 years; it's a price that is no longer available to the public).

Why does yoour household need two phones?

do you have a landline?

frugalone
9-12-12, 6:16pm
It's kind of funny, but in 10 years of having phones neither of us has ever really needed the Internet. My sister's phone has GPS and it came in handy while in NYC a few years ago. It was kind of humorous, in a way, looking at the phone instead of a map!

I've got a basic plan with Virgin Mobile. The phone cost $50 (although you can get much fancier phones, including the iPhone). The cost per month was $25, but it has gone up to $35. That covers 300 minutes of phone use and unlimited text and internet. My phone doesn't do the internet very well, but in a pinch, I can download map directions or such (a better phone would give better internet access). You can either remember to pay every month or set up automatic billing.

I've had the phone for two years now and haven't had any issues with either the phone or the service.

Miss Cellane
9-12-12, 6:38pm
It's kind of funny, but in 10 years of having phones neither of us has ever really needed the Internet. My sister's phone has GPS and it came in handy while in NYC a few years ago. It was kind of humorous, in a way, looking at the phone instead of a map!

Yeah, I could easily do without the internet. Or texting for that matter. But this was the conjunction of the best plan with the best phone at the time. Because I started with the $25 plan, I still pay only $25 a month.

bunnys
9-12-12, 8:32pm
I've got StraightTalk (Tracfone) through Wal-Mart.

$30. for 1000 minutes and 1000 texts and 30 web pages. (Trying to load web pages is a joke.)

I love it. It bills monthly to my debit card. It's exactly what I need. But I am single with no children. If I had a family where we needed a bunch of phones I think the big companies with contracts are actually a better deal as they're like $10 per month extra for every additional line.

awakenedsoul
9-12-12, 8:56pm
My mom gave me a Jitterbug phone (for emergencies) as a Christmas present. It's only $15.00 a month. It's designed for seniors, but they are advertising more for everybody now. I think if you want more minutes it's $20.00 a month.

Float On
9-12-12, 11:19pm
I'm pretty simple when it comes to phones. I don't want it to do more than make/recieve calls. I am finally starting to text just a bit but it actually takes less time for me to make a call. We all have tracfones and have been very happy with them. I spend in a year what a lot of people spend in a month on a contract.

iris lily
9-12-12, 11:33pm
I understand that the OP's former employer got them a good deal. Now she is in a different situation.

The minimal phone service is, to me, a cell phone for voice communications. Texting is unnecessary. I've sent exactly 0 texts in my life. Internet access on a phone is unnecessary. One cell phone can be passed back and forth between the OP and her DH as needed. Internet can be accessed at her work.

If there is extra money, a landline would provide your husband who is at home all day, with voice communication. If there is even more money, DSL for internet would be the next step in phone service.

All of this said, I personally much prefer to keep a landline because it is reliable. Cell phone communications suck, and I don't care which provider it is.

ToomuchStuff
9-13-12, 2:22am
I found that they use the SAME language on some different cell phone plans. In part, I think to get more money as the other plans push "smart" phones, with data plans. Slightly more then three years ago, I bought a prepaid (average rated) cell phone from T mobile, after checking their coverage map, and the maps of some competitors. (it helped to have some people on different plans and ask where their problem area's were) The cost is $100 for 1000 minutes, which expire in one year, if you don't renew. I added another $100 the second year, as I wasn't sure if my usage would go up. Six months into the first year, I dropped the home phone which was the most basic service I could get (billed as the lower rate rotary, but taxes were 50% of the phone bill and three months paid my first year of cell phone use). I RARELY used the home phone, and lifeline service would have suited me if I could have bought it.
This is year three for me, and I spent $50 to add enough minutes to get back to the 1000 minute and one year mark. Three years of cell phone (I don't text, not a smart phone) have cost me less then one year landline. I don't readily give out the number (not at cash registers, etc, the heck with me paying for spam).

Now where I bought the phone, no longer does them like that (Sam's club). They both sell "prepaid" that have a monthly cost and x number of minutes. Walmart and the carriers directly have the other option that I use. Some of them are going to the pay as you go name, but several are still referring to it as prepaid.

The ONLY reason I bought a cell phone, is the lack of payphones, which I needed/used for work. (checking in on errand runs) If they were still there, I would still have a landline at home and be paying more.

herbgeek
9-13-12, 7:15am
I have a Verizon prepaid phone, purchased for $15 at Target. Has a camera, but no smartphone features. I don't need them anyways, I have plenty of internet access between my laptop, itouch and tablet (both wi fi only). I purchase $100 worth of minutes (approx 500) that lasts for a year, and whatever I don't use gets rolled over if I purchase more before the expiration date (I have this automatically set up so I don't need to remember). I rarely have used more than the $100/year- I think once in 10 years. So, in effect, my cell phone costs me between 8 and 9 dollars per month.

Obviously this wouldn't be effective for someone who talks a lot on the phone, or texts a lot, but it works for the occasional cell phone user like me. We also have a landline because we are far on the edge of the coverage area, and we do have occasional power outages, and I can still use my landline phone without power.

Miss Cellane
9-13-12, 7:16am
One other thing to watch out for is texting. You may not text, but if you know people who do, they could text you. If your plan doesn't have free texting, you will pay for each text sent and received--the amount depends on your carrier. I had a landlord who texted everything. He was costing me money on a monthly basis, still less than moving to a plan with free texting, though. A lot of people prefer texts to actual phone calls. So in some cases you need to consider the people who contact you the most, not just how you use the phones. Although some carriers do allow you to block texts--you'd have to check.

freein05
9-13-12, 12:52pm
We are lucky cells phones do not work were we live. Even if they did I would use a land line their reliability is very. I do have a cell phone for traveling and snow birding. I did a lot of research and picked Tracfone. I buy the annual plan it cost $100 and get something like 400 min. The min roll over if not used. I have over a 1000 min now. I only use it as phone.

ApatheticNoMore
9-13-12, 1:33pm
We are lucky cells phones do not work were we live.

That is lucky indeed.

I feel the need for a landline for reliability as well and I only have local landline service and it is still quite costly. And prepaid cell phones (I currently have one), how can I put this: SUCK!!! Of course part of the problem is I tend to only buy $15-$20 of minutes, then get paranoid over running out and a minute being used up here and there and cut short conversations to save minutes etc. (please get off the phone with me already, you're costing me money, blah blah blah, shut up already!!!!!). Plus then I end up taking calls for work which cost me money (just love spending money for that thing I only do in order to get money). I deliberately never give most people a way to contact me by cell phone and alienate people that way including people not just relevent to my social life but also to my career. The whole experience of hoarding every minute like dollars is basically dreadful. And the quality of many of the cheap phones sold for prepaid plans is often very poor also (super cheapo electronics). Enough to consider getting a real cell phone plan, almost .... When I win the lottery I'm getting long distance service on my landline (now when I use it for long distance it's calling cards, another pain, although less annoying than prepaid cells) and a real cell phone plan!!!! Gonna live in the lap of luxery then ...

iris lily
9-14-12, 12:26am
to repeat: 2 cellphones plus landline plus internet service= money going out on unnecessary items.

Miss Cellane
9-14-12, 7:33am
to repeat: 2 cellphones plus landline plus internet service= money going out on unnecessary items.

True. But which one is unnecessary depends on the people involved. It might make the most sense for both people to have cell phones and get rid of the landline. Or both share one cell phone and keep the landline. Or keep one cell phone, ditch the landline and get one of the phone-over-internet services.

All depends on the needs of the users.

fidgiegirl
9-14-12, 8:11am
Haven't read everything here yet but wanted to throw this out: On the Mr. Money Mustache forums there has been a lengthy and detailed discussion (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/forum/share-your-badassity/communications-tech-isps-voip-cell/) about this topic. I hope to read both this weekend as I just heard yesterday that with the launch of the iPhone 5 we will continue to see more data chomped up with our phones (I have a smartphone) and that people (read: us) with grandfathered unlimited data were going to see them ending mid-year next year anyway.

Stella
9-14-12, 9:39am

I mostly agree with you Iris, even though we technically have that. Zach has a cell phone for work. That is a necessity in his line of work. He is an electrician and has to be in contact with people throughout the day.

We have a cheap, Vonage landline, but are thinking of switching to Magic Jack. Some friends have it and like it. I use the landline most of the time as I am almost always home.

I also have a prepaid cell phone, but it has a minimal amount of money on it. When I do go out, I am out and about with 5 little children. I've been stranded by a flat tire or other car trouble before and I know that usually someone will stop and help you, but honestly, I'd rather just be able to get the thing done instead of waiting on someone else to solve my problem. It's not a phone for chatting on. I don't even know the phone number because I never have to call it. The only person who does have the number is Zach.

Internet service is clearly something I get our money's worth out of. :)

ToomuchStuff
9-14-12, 10:48am
Haven't read everything here yet but wanted to throw this out: On the Mr. Money Mustache forums there has been a lengthy and detailed discussion (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/forum/share-your-badassity/communications-tech-isps-voip-cell/) about this topic. I hope to read both this weekend as I just heard yesterday that with the launch of the iPhone 5 we will continue to see more data chomped up with our phones (I have a smartphone) and that people (read: us) with grandfathered unlimited data were going to see them ending mid-year next year anyway.

Take a wait and see attitude. (plan but don't execute) There was at least one court case over unlimited data plans (although the one I am thinking of involved throttling, which the court ruled against the phone company), so their only option, MAY be to buy you out or get you to drop out of the contract. I know when AT&T was trying to buy T-Mobile, they were saying things like people don't use the plans, several of us use. They got caught in the lies and the sale didn't happen.

As for landlines, I have a couple of friends who live in the country and one's area finally developed enough, that their landline became dependable. The other never did, so they went with cell phones. (although one of them, still hasn't figured out how to use one, or to talk INTO THE SPEAKER) Can you tell I get annoyed when I talk with them? No one thing fits all.

frugalone
9-16-12, 12:45pm
Off to read Mr. Money Mustache forums.
I should explain that the special deal I got with my former employer is *still* in effect. Because of it, I have a cheaper Internet bill and a cheaper landline. I do not like to give out personal info over a cell phone (such as a credit card #) as it is not secure. I would also not assume that just because I have a job, they'll be happy with me doing personal stuff on their Internet.
I guess I will reevaluate and watch and wait...as suggested.

iris lily
9-16-12, 1:45pm
Off to read Mr. Money Mustache forums.
I should explain that the special deal I got with my former employer is *still* in effect. Because of it, I have a cheaper Internet bill and a cheaper landline. I do not like to give out personal info over a cell phone (such as a credit card #) as it is not secure. I would also not assume that just because I have a job, they'll be happy with me doing personal stuff on their Internet.
I guess I will reevaluate and watch and wait...as suggested.

OP, you are right about using Internet at work. I did assume that you could use the same computers as the students use on your break times, but that may not be practical.

frugalone
9-16-12, 1:49pm
I suppose I could use them but it would just be impractical. My SO uses the Internet for a lot of research on health insurance/health care, pet care, and other practical matters.

OP, you are right about using Internet at work. I did assume that you could use the same computers as the students use on your break times, but that may not be practical.

iris lily
9-16-12, 3:44pm
I suppose I could use them but it would just be impractical. My SO uses the Internet for a lot of research on health insurance/health care, pet care, and other practical matters.

Your public library may offer internet access.You are already paying for that through real estates taxes whether you or you landlord pay.

But certainly I agree that all of the options we mentioned here are not as convenient as 2 cellphones + landline + internet all accesible any time, any place.

When people talk about single income household supporting a family (wife + kids) back in the day, the list of cells+ landlines + internet was not part of that scene. Personally, I don't think it is realistic to expect one modest income to cover all of that stuff today. But that's just me.

frugalone
9-16-12, 5:08pm
I guess that's the sorry truth, iris lily. I am paying for convenience. In a way, I regret ever having gotten a cell phone.

On another note, the other day two people asked us in the library if there was a pay phone on campus. Would you believe that between a few students and my boss (who has worked here more than a decade) none of us could think of a pay phone? They even took them out of the library!

ToomuchStuff
9-18-12, 2:38am
I guess that's the sorry truth, iris lily. I am paying for convenience. In a way, I regret ever having gotten a cell phone.

On another note, the other day two people asked us in the library if there was a pay phone on campus. Would you believe that between a few students and my boss (who has worked here more than a decade) none of us could think of a pay phone? They even took them out of the library!

Last time I was there, there was ONE payphone at our local mall. (last year some time) Of course it was broke.>8)

I did have this conversation in the last couple of days. In my state, if a gas station pumps are on 24 hours a day (pumps that operate via plastic, with no one around), they are required to have an emergency shut off button, and a pay phone, for 911 access.
That is really the only place I see them and I used one of them a few years back, before the cell phone.

Frugalifec
9-28-12, 3:18pm
So far I have been very happy with an $80 unlocked iphone from ebay and T-Mobile pre pay of $100 for 1000 minutes with 1 year of availability. I don't talk on the cell phone much and really like the free web access through WiFi along with all the cool apps. It ends up costing less than $9 a month. I've found that if I stay behind technology by two or three years it costs much less and there is still lots of support for the equipment.

ToomuchStuff
9-29-12, 1:23am
So far I have been very happy with an $80 unlocked iphone from ebay and T-Mobile pre pay of $100 for 1000 minutes with 1 year of availability. I don't talk on the cell phone much and really like the free web access through WiFi along with all the cool apps. It ends up costing less than $9 a month. I've found that if I stay behind technology by two or three years it costs much less and there is still lots of support for the equipment.

How does that work since the iPhone doesn't use a sim card? (how did you activate it?) I may have access to a relatives older droid if I wanted to upgrade.